You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

I started Keto in February 2013 and combined it with going the gym 3 times a week mainly doing the couch to 5k program and toward the end a bit of weight machines. I went from 230lbs to 190lbs in 4 months, then I stopped Keto completely like a dickhead and my gym visits died off around December. I went back on to keto last month after weighing back in at 225lbs and I'm now back down to 210 doing keto with weight machines and eliptical/jogging for 15 minutes before and after weights. 

I don't know where I was going with this.

That's a savage weight loss....and subsequent weight gain!

Next step for you is to try move from the machines to free weights. The difference between a chest press machine and a barbell and bench is incredible.

Here's one for ye.

As outlined earlier, I had my carb nite last night. Before I hit the carbs, the following occurred:

Got up at 6.50 as usual, got the kids ready, and into work for 8.15.

Approx. 8.30 - opened a can of Coke Zero, and popped my supplements (Omega 3, Multi Vitamin, Mangesium, etc.).

Approx. 8.45 - Had 4 large boiled eggs.

Approx. 11.15 - Had 100g of peanut butter with another can of Zero.

Up to the gym for 12.45 and did some curls, pulldowns, crunches.

Jumped on the Wattbike at around 13.00, and did 35 minutes of interval training.

Shattered, I jumped on the scales and it read 87.4kg. Fat cunt, but not as bad as I was!

Back to the office for 14.00, and had a protein shake at 15.00.

Then, as posted previously, at 16.30 I had a pack of Dairymilk Biscuits and a packet of Hula Hoops here in work.

Then, from the time I got home to going to bed at around 11, I had:

Large chips with cheese and Curry

Battered Burger

Battered Sausage

3/4 tub of Ben & Jerry's Caramel Chew Chew

1/3 of a 200g bar of Galaxy Caramel

A couple of dozen Pringles.

Today, did my usual kids/work thing, including big dump.

Approx. 8.30 - opened a can of Coke Zero, and popped my supplements.

Forgot to boil eggs!

Had another big dump at around 10.30.

Had 100g of peanut butter with Coke Zero about 11.00.

Another dump at around 11.45.

Up to the gym for 12.45, and before I did anything, I jumped on the scales. 87.3kg!

So after everything I'd eaten last night, according to their machine, I was down 0.1kg!

No idea how or why.

In my second day of doing this. Diet will be improved as I don't think I have are enough but not finding I am craving any carbs at all.

Yesterday I fasted in the morning untill the gym.

lunch: Steak, 3 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs.

Snack: tablespoon peanut butter.

Tea: 2 pieces of cod, mixed spinach and broccoli and butter.

Obviously I need to add more to this but I didn't even feel hungry after it.

Watch that coke Zero Lario. It is a weakness of mine too but loads of research showing aspartame sweeteners are worse than sugar.

I limit myself now to one a day with my tea. I am trying to find coke sweetened with Stevia which is ok but aspartame sucks balls and you may as well have the full fat coke.

Pork chops and Brocoli cheese for tea tonight.

In my second day of doing this. Diet will be improved as I don't think I have are enough but not finding I am craving any carbs at all.

Yesterday I fasted in the morning untill the gym.

lunch: Steak, 3 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs.

Snack: tablespoon peanut butter.

Tea: 2 pieces of cod, mixed spinach and broccoli and butter.

Obviously I need to add more to this but I didn't even feel hungry after it.

All that fat will kill you!!

An easy way to increase your fat intake is to try eat some more peanut butter. Tesco own brand is cheap, tastes good, and has nearly 58g of fat per 100g's. So if you can throw 100g into a container, and have a teaspoon every so often, you'll get it into you no bother. I'd eat it in less than 10 minutes with a can of Zero.

Did you use the calculator on ruled.me to find out your macros?

Watch that coke Zero Lario. It is a weakness of mine too but loads of research showing aspartame sweeteners are worse than sugar.

I limit myself now to one a day with my tea. I am trying to find coke sweetened with Stevia which is ok but aspartame sucks balls and you may as well have the full fat coke.

Pork chops and Brocoli cheese for tea tonight.

Worse in what way dude?

It certainly isn't affecting my ketosis. Or maybe it's stopping me from being deeper into it?

I've a stash of maybe 40 cans left at the minute, and I'd actually planned on cutting way back once they're gone. If for no other reason than to save some money. Don't really need to be spending 30-40 quid a month on the stuff.

Watch the sugar in P Butter. Get unsweetened. I use Whole Earth. Nothing nasty in it. From Tesco I think.

Tesco PB.

Nutrition Nutrition Typical Values 100g contains

Energy 2744kJ (663kcal)

Protein 27.2g

Carbohydrate 5.4g

Sugars 2.3g

Fat 57.8g

Saturates 10.8g

Fibre 6.7g

Salt 0.7g

Worse in what way dude?

It certainly isn't affecting my ketosis. Or maybe it's stopping me from being deeper into it?

I've a stash of maybe 40 cans left at the minute, and I'd actually planned on cutting way back once they're gone. If for no other reason than to save some money. Don't really need to be spending 30-40 quid a month on the stuff.

That is F all sugar in that PB I'll try that.

As for aspartame apparently it is pretty toxic. Plus it fools your body into reacting exactly how it would if you ate a load of sugar. Hormone release and the like. Except there isn't any. So you can then crave sugar more and more to satisfy this reaction. Do a quick google there are calls for it to be banned.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Next step for you is to try move from the machines to free weights. The difference between a chest press machine and a barbell and bench is incredible.

Good to see you hitting the iron mate. Makes a difference don't it.

it would be good to make a list of 'normal' meal bits to use.  Having a missus who tries to cook dinner, I'm a nightmare to cater for.

Main meal

Steak in blue cheese sauce AND Broccoli or cauliflower cheese

Cod in parsley and cheese sauce AND broccoli and spinach and carrots?

Pork chops AND cauliflower cheese

Gammon AND Eggs

Bacon AND Eggs with mushrooms and tomatoes

Beef Moussaka (basically lasagne without the pasta)

Roast chicken with veg

It's the AND that I have trouble with, can you suggest anymore ANDS that accompany main bits of protein?

it would be good to make a list of 'normal' meal bits to use.  Having a missus who tries to cook dinner, I'm a nightmare to cater for.

Main meal

Steak in blue cheese sauce AND Broccoli or cauliflower cheese

Cod in parsley and cheese sauce AND broccoli and spinach and carrots?

Pork chops AND cauliflower cheese

Gammon AND Eggs

Bacon AND Eggs with mushrooms and tomatoes

Beef Moussaka (basically lasagne without the pasta)

Roast chicken with veg

It's the AND that I have trouble with, can you suggest anymore ANDS that accompany main bits of protein?

A lot of those sauces will have flour in them mate.

Simply put it is meat and veg. Any combination you want. Add in eggs dressings mayo oils.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-food-list.html

I'm struggling a bit with satiety at 2200kcals at the moment. I've stuck under 30g of carbs for the last 5 days, even on training days (3 of those days) in Galway for a long weekend so won't have my keto sticks until Sunday but I'd like some indication im in keto tbh. Can't quite tell if my breath and piss stink any worse than normal breath and piss.

Hi odris, can you tell me a little about your weekly diet?

I usually skip breakfast if I'm working, if not I'll have smoked bacon, eggs and avocado. For lunch it is usually a deli meat packet like pastrami and either some nuts/berries or pork scratchins. Then for dinner it's chicken (mostly but I mix it up with other meats) no skin with vegetables. It's a proper boring diet like but this keto stuff does work as long as you don't do what I did and then go back to old ways. 

Yeah I need to just get in there and start picking stuff up, I'm too comfortable with the weight machines right now. 

Hi lads,

Any tips on sodium/magnesium/potassium?

Hear that you can lose a fair amount and need to top it up.

I think you are over analyzing it mate. Don't worry short term. If you are eating a good balance of meat fish and veg you will be fine. If you are still concerned buy an electrolyte supplement. Can't say Ive ever bothered.

Hi lads,

Any tips on sodium/magnesium/potassium?

Hear that you can lose a fair amount and need to top it up.

Jaysus fella, you'd swear you're going into hibernation or something!

Where do you normally get your sodium/magnesium/potassium?

There's sodium in most things you eat. If you want more, put some salt on your burger/chicken/fish.

You can buy magnesium and potassium supplements in Boots. Or take a multivitamin.

But like Andy said, you're way over thinking things. Go balls out and get stuck into it. You mightn't feel great during the first 2 or 3 days, but that's "Keto flu", where our body is going through the change. If you're still feeling shit after about a week, maybe then look into supplements. But until then, enjoy your food.

Was cross-checking different sites for macro's, and I've settled on this one:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

* 2023 kcal Goal, a 20% deficit. (1070 min, 2529 max)

* 50g Carbohydrates

* 150g Protein (126g min, 208g max)

* 136g Fat (30g min, 192g max)

Doesn't look too bad. The lower you can get your carbs, the quicker you get into ketosis. See if you can get that down around 30g.

You need to bring you fat level up and your protein down. Try work the F:P:C ratio as 65:30:5.  Try have twice as much fat than protein.

I know it goes against everything you currently believe, but it really is a case of the more fat you eat, the more fat you'll lose.

Was cross-checking different sites for macro's, and I've settled on this one:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

* 2023 kcal Goal, a 20% deficit. (1070 min, 2529 max)

* 50g Carbohydrates

* 150g Protein (126g min, 208g max)

* 136g Fat (30g min, 192g max)

Initially (at least a week or two) I would lower the carbs slightly. Just to get you going aim for <20. Carbs in veg don't count though where there is a fiber content. eg if broad beans had 30g of carbs and 25g of fibre that is essentially 5 grams of carbs to your total.

Doesn't look too bad. The lower you can get your carbs, the quicker you get into ketosis. See if you can get that down around 30g.

You need to bring you fat level up and your protein down. Try work the F:P:C ratio as 65:30:5.  Try have twice as much fat than protein.

I know it goes against everything you currently believe, but it really is a case of the more fat you eat, the more fat you'll lose.

Dont think the fat - protein ratio  is too far off mate 600 cals from protein 1100 from fat is getting there I'd be OK with that.

• Upvote 1

I've readjusted MFP to 5:30:65 now, let's do this.

I had an apple first thing this morning.  I know, bad way to start the day...but I just felt that I HAD to eat something 'healthy' in the classic sense.

But then I did something monumental, I created a bacon wrap.  Bacon was just 3 bacon fried in coconut oil, but the 'wrap' was basically a 2 egg omelette with real butter, which I then cooled down and dried off with some kitchen towel, and then put the bacon in, added a dab of ketchup and a dollop of real mayonnaise, and then wrapped the mother fucker up and WALLOP.

What I might do though is pay a visit to the Dr's next week just to get him to measure my cholesterol etc, if anything just out of interest, while I'm doing the diet.