You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

Why would an Inuits fat heavy diet be ok for them yet the Pacific Islands fat based diet be a contributing factor in the massive rates of cardiovascular vascular disease?

What else are they eating with it? 'Cause if they're eating lots of fat and carbs, then they'll put on weight as they're never in ketosis.

Here's another thing you might read. This chap did 21 days of 5000 per day on high fat. Then did the same with low fat.

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

What else are they eating with it? 'Cause if they're eating lots of fat and carbs, then they'll put on weight as they're never in ketosis.

Here's another thing you might read. This chap did 21 days of 5000 per day on high fat. Then did the same with low fat.

Doesn't matter whether they're in ketosis or not if they're hugely over eating. More calories than they burn and they'll put on weight (AFAIK)

http://www.ruled.me/counting-calories-on-ketogenic-diet/

Doesn't matter whether they're in ketosis or not if they're hugely over eating. More calories than they burn and they'll put on weight (AFAIK)

Yeah, I know that. Genuinely didn't think people were eating nearly 9000 calories per day though! Fuck me.

Perhaps you could give me the abridged version until I'm able to read this properly.

Did he lose weight, did he get healthy or both.

fad

fad/

noun

noun: fad; plural noun: fads

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

The ketogenic diet is around more than 100 years, is medically proven to help epilepsy, and is scientifically proven to reduce weight as well as reduce LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol.

The Food Pyramid on the other hand......

If you want to bang me on your email address, I'll email you on a pdf of the book.

Apparently it's the spike in insulin from eating the carbs that relights your metabolism, and then you kick on back into the fat burning.

Yer man puts it's more eloquently than that, but that's the jist.

Pm'd you, mate.

I've not followed anything other than a general cutting of carbs, but I think it's the same.

I lost a load of weight quickly, then platoed, then have slowly fell into bad habits so need to kick on again.

Just interested in this carb day aspect; is it a necessity? Ie does the lack of carbs stop working after a while so you need to have a day of them, or is it just a way of saying you can still have the stuff you crave as long as it's just one night per week?

I ask, because if it's the former, and I will benefit from doing it, then I'll build it in, whereas of not, better off steering clear totally and avoiding getting the taste for the things I used to love eating.

Ta.

And Cardie, give it a rest.

Harsh, if you want a quick win fad diet with potential long term risks that isn't sustainable long term then far be it from me to try to convince you that healthy eating is a better alternative.

Doesn't mean I don't have the right to laugh though.

Thought that was probably the case.

Healthyish breakfasts?

Generally speaking, the less processed the better. But cereals like shredded wheat can be part of a healthy breakfast. Depend on what you like, but there are a million combinations of healthy foods for breakfast. I'd eat poached eggs every morning if I had the time. Porridge with fruit would be 'healthy' I suppose, but to me its like eating sludge.

• Upvote 1

Harsh, if you want a quick win fad diet with potential long term risks that isn't sustainable long term then far be it from me to try to convince you that healthy eating is a better alternative.

Doesn't mean I don't have the right to laugh though.

Have you ever wondered why you're the only one laughing though?

Generally speaking, the less processed the better. But cereals like shredded wheat can be part of a healthy breakfast. Depend on what you like, but there are a million combinations of healthy foods for breakfast. I'd eat poached eggs every morning if I had the time. Porridge with fruit would be 'healthy' I suppose, but to me its like eating sludge.

Yeah, not keen on Porridge either.

Poached eggs are ace, might do that when I can be arsed. 

How long have you all been on this diet anyone hit a year, two years, three?

Given I'm the thread starter, have a guess. But I've tried all sorts of diets (including your vaguely named 'healthy diet'), some very successful, some not so much. I find this easy enough to stick to so far, and as stated, multiple times, by many, many people, in this thread, which you apparently have been reading, it has many other health benefits apart from just "losing weight". Not only that but a lot of people use it for specific targets or goals over short terms, and just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean its not beneficial to a lot of people. People tailor their sleep patterns to work? Their exercise to their particular goals? Their study to their desired career? Why is it so crazy to you that someone would tailor their diet as such? Maybe you lack the discipline, or maybe the motivation, or maybe you just don't want to do it for any other reason. All fine. But you're shouting down something you are completely ignorant of. I'm not going to respond to you any more as you're like a dog with a bone, only your bone is just a dried up white dog shit.

• Upvote 2

Depend on your goals though. Not only that, the diet as a whole picture has to be taken into account. Eating cereal doesn't kill you. Just never kept me full enough for long enough. And I'm looking towards keto to stabalise my blood sugars, improve concentration, and shed a bit of BF.

Interestingly though, Mo Farrah has frosties most mornings:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/eat-athlete-mo-farah