You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

But I've tried all sorts of diets (including your vaguely named 'healthy diet')

A healthy diet doesn't mean a 'diet' in the way unsustainable fads like Dukan, 5 and 2, keto, juice, cabbage soup, Atkin's, Paleo, alkaline, Cambridge or the fucking lemon juice and cayenne diet mean diet.

It means changing your lifestyle long term not looking for quick wins and eating/drinking everything in moderation.

You want bread, have bread, maybe just switch from processed white bread to wholegrain (without denying yourself the occasional bacon roll on shit bread)..

You want a beer, have a fucking beer, just don't have 15 plus a kebab 4 nights a week(or none because some cretin is making millions by telling you to only drink kale and battery acid on a Thursday).

The alternative is crash dieting in the latest in thing, coming off it and watching the weight pile back on.

The only criticism I have of keto is it is not good if you are training to increase size and strength. I went from 15st to 11& 1/2 in 9 months or so. I was hammering the gym and running. The weight fell off.

Since then I've jacked in the running and do a  weeks or two of keto every two or three months. I've stayed reasonably lean and back up to 15st. My belly is getting a little big just now so I will probably do a month or two of Keto and drop a stone. Hopefully mostly fat whilst lifting as heavy as I can.

A healthy diet doesn't mean a 'diet' in the way unsustainable fads like Dukan, 5 and 2, keto, juice, cabbage soup, Atkin's, Paleo, alkaline, Cambridge or the fucking lemon juice and cayenne diet mean diet.

It means changing your lifestyle long term not looking for quick wins and eating/drinking everything in moderation.

You want bread, have bread, maybe just switch from processed white bread to wholegrain (without denying yourself the occasional bacon roll on shit bread)..

You want a beer, have a fucking beer, just don't have 15 plus a kebab 4 nights a week(or none because some cretin is making millions by telling you to only drink kale and battery acid on a Thursday).

The alternative is crash dieting in the latest in thing, coming off it and watching the weight pile back on.

I've eaten healthily for years. Just because it's generally healthy does mean it suits all my goals or meets all my needs though.

Harsh, if you want a quick win fad diet with potential long term risks that isn't sustainable long term then far be it from me to try to convince you that healthy eating is a better alternative.

Doesn't mean I don't have the right to laugh though.

Well I see the alyernative as being pretty bad for me too, as I'd had no success losing weight effortlessly through any other means and was a fatty!!

I don't expect to stick to a diet after losing the weight I want to, but I know I'll stick to the habits I've developed do far and eat less carbs, if for no other reason than I've probably found I had a gluten intolerance if some sort.

Since cutting the pasta and bread out, I no longer have the shits 3 or 4 times a week.

I've got to eat less convenience food than I was, that's pretty clear whether on this far diet or not, but actually wanting to avoid bread and pasta is a really good barrier to stop me from saying "ah, fuck it, I'll have a Big Mac meal".

I reckon I've not really been doing this full keto diet though, as I just sort of loosely followed a diet plan, but I've never eaten so many home cooked, hearty meals and so much veg. That's got to be a good thing.

Bacon and eggs for brekkie is a good thing too. Yum

Also, almonds are a great source of good fats. Easy to carry around, don't need refrigerated, not too expensive.

Careful how you go:

For reference, each raw bitter almond will produce about 4-9 mg of hydrogen cyanide. So a few handfuls of raw bitter almonds are enough to kill you quite swiftly and lesser amounts may cause you other serious health issues such as kidney failure.May 13, 2012

What snacks do you have on this diet?

Also, what about booze...

Snacks? Kinda whatever you can get your hands on. Nuts, meats, cheeses. Have a look at the ruled.me website. He's got some great ideas.

As for drink: beer is a no-no. Wine is a bit better. Your best bet is a spirit and diet drink.

Careful how you go:

For reference, each raw bitter almond will produce about 4-9 mg of hydrogen cyanide. So a few handfuls of raw bitter almonds are enough to kill you quite swiftly and lesser amounts may cause you other serious health issues such as kidney failure.May 13, 2012

I don't think this applies to normal shop bought almonds, but interesting none the less!

Just eat normal food in moderation and do some regular exercise you weirdos.

You'll drive yourself to mental illness and an early grave with this shit.

That is an ignorant post mate and is nonsense.

What do you mean by 'normal food'?

Do you mean meat fish eggs veg as in this way of eating? or cakes biscuits fizzy drinks and beer as in a 'normal diet'?

Diet is 75% of fitness when you are training. What if you are not doing 'regular exercise' but intense exercise? Should you modify your diet then? or eat 'normal'.

Speak to any athlete or indeed any professional sportsman and they will tell you that diet and lifestyle are critical to their performance.

I am not saying we can be at that level but we can control that aspect of it so why not do it.

Ketogenic  diets have far more benefits hormonally than simply weight loss

People are massively ignorant when it comes to food and will put any old shit in their mouths as a result of the huge industries which promote these things. I myself have been guilty of this in the past.

Now I try not to eat anything that does not walk or grow. Cereals and fizzy drinks don't fall into either category

The one thing I have reservations about is the fat/calories.

I DO get the idea behind this, but for someone who's already overweight, it would be a total disaster to gorge on fats and high-calorific foods and then find one month down the line that my weight has gone up. 

It's a bit of a leap into the unknown to place all your faith in the idea and then see what you're like on the other side.

I'm already cutting carbs as much as I think I can, but not sure I want to replace my proteins with fats.  And I DO understand that this is a problem in terms of reaching ketosis, that you have to replace some proteins with fats.  Just seems totally risky from a fat persons perspective.

PS - what's the deal with working out carbs in things?  A lot of packaging now breaks things down into four groups - calories, salt, sugar, and something else that escapes me.  Do I just take it as read that the sugar is carbs and nothing else?  IE, the amount of sugar per 100g is the amount of carbs, or are there other hidden carbs among the other 3 headings?

My typical diet this last week has been

Breakfast - sometimes skip by accident/laziness, but otherwise it's scrambled eggs and some veggies (mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes), and bacon/cocktail sausages.

Lunch - Usually chicken and then coleslaw or cheese, or spare cooked veggies from the night before.  Or, a John West light lunch with salmon.

Dinner - No pasta, no rice, no potatoes, otherwise anything goes.

Snacks are apples, bananas, and a mini scotch egg or a few cocktail sausages.

I DO get the idea behind this, but for someone who's already overweight, it would be a total disaster to gorge on fats and high-calorific foods and then find one month down the line that my weight has gone up. 

It's a bit of a leap into the unknown to place all your faith in the idea and then see what you're like on the other side.

I'm already cutting carbs as much as I think I can, but not sure I want to replace my proteins with fats.  And I DO understand that this is a problem in terms of reaching ketosis, that you have to replace some proteins with fats.  Just seems totally risky from a fat persons perspective.

PS - what's the deal with working out carbs in things?  A lot of packaging now breaks things down into four groups - calories, salt, sugar, and something else that escapes me.  Do I just take it as read that the sugar is carbs and nothing else?  IE, the amount of sugar per 100g is the amount of carbs, or are there other hidden carbs among the other 3 headings?

Breakfast - sometimes skip by accident/laziness, but otherwise it's scrambled eggs and some veggies (mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes), and bacon/cocktail sausages.

Lunch - Usually chicken and then coleslaw or cheese, or spare cooked veggies from the night before.  Or, a John West light lunch with salmon.

They're just the quick colour coded breakdowns on the front mate, there'll be more detailed nutritional info on a grid somewhere on the back.

If you're in doubt, try it for a month, count your calories, eat about 10-20% below maintenance and see how it goes. You don't get fat in a month and you don't get fit in a month, but it might be enough to show you its not actually as drastic as it sounds.

Your diet looks pretty good mate. I would not worry.

The common misconception about fat is that it makes you fat it does not.

If you need 2000 calories a day and eat 1500 calories of lard you will lose weight.

Likewise if you ate 2500 calories of broccoli you would gain weight.

In reality you could never eat 2500 cals of broccoli it would be a harvest full whereas a packet or two of lard would be no bother.

Good fats are very good for you and once keto adapted are converted to Ketones and burned instead of glucose. Hunger disappears because you will be carrying weeks worth of stored fat around with you. Sometimes you literally have to force yourself to eat.

To measure your food use http://www.myfitnesspal.com

Thanks lads, I've been using MFP to track calories, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it?

Can you just outline what 'good fats' are?

Obviously the problem with loading up on bad fats is an increase in cholesterol, which is never a clever thing to do.

Also, what's the stance on these things:

Milk (is it better to use single cream in coffee?)

Sweeteners in drinks/coffee

Ice Cream (no chocolate chips etc, obv)

Also, you say 'no lager', and I dig that.

But elsewhere I've seen comments where a day of rule-breaking is not only permissible, but it is important to trick your body.  You want it to think there is a feast and famine situation, so it keeps processing things normally, rather than go into starvation mode.

Thanks lads, I've been using MFP to track calories, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it?

Can you just outline what 'good fats' are?

Obviously the problem with loading up on bad fats is an increase in cholesterol, which is never a clever thing to do.

There is good and bad cholesterol mate and it is just a fuel dont worry about it.

Good and bad fats are common sense. Hydrogenated oils are shite. Olive oils, coconut oils and fatty meats, eggs, oily fish are good.

Just avoid takeaways ready meals all the usual shit.

Starvation mode short term is a myth. A month or two and your metabolism will slow right down but a day or two will have no effect.

Trick is to reduce calories slowly and gradually. If you reduce from say 2000 to 1200 in one hit your metabolism will adjust and before you know it you will need to be on 800 to reduce weight.

Drop a 100 or so at a time or increase exercise. Short intense is better than long and boring .

Milk: Use almond milk or another carb free alternative. Its decent in coffee as a latte, a bit nutty for my personal tastes to drink by the glass though. Or use cream for coffee etc.

Sweeteners: I use Monin sugar free sweeteners which I bought before I started keto to add to my lattes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monin-Premium-Caramel-Sugar-Syrup/dp/B005KLWA0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439974782&sr=8-1&keywords=monin+sugar+free

I haven't had ice cream yet but I have an ice cream maker and keto ice cream recipes

That is an ignorant post mate and is nonsense.

What do you mean by 'normal food'?

Do you mean meat fish eggs veg as in this way of eating? or cakes biscuits fizzy drinks and beer as in a 'normal diet'?

Diet is 75% of fitness when you are training. What if you are not doing 'regular exercise' but intense exercise? Should you modify your diet then? or eat 'normal'.

Speak to any athlete or indeed any professional sportsman and they will tell you that diet and lifestyle are critical to their performance.

I am not saying we can be at that level but we can control that aspect of it so why not do it.

Ketogenic diets have far more benefits hormonally than simply weight loss

People are massively ignorant when it comes to food and will put any old shit in their mouths as a result of the huge industries which promote these things. I myself have been guilty of this in the past.

Now I try not to eat anything that does not walk or grow. Cereals and fizzy drinks don't fall into either category

Yes but you aren't in training or a professional sportsman. You're an old bloke trying to look ripped and unnatural because you've fallen for the other side of the circle of the food and image industry.

Normal food is veggies, fish and meat and whole grains. Avoid too much processed food. Everyone knows this and it is simple.

Nutritionists and dietitians and fitness people make money of conning people as much as food companies do.

• Upvote 1

No one is conning me at all mate. I spend next to nothing on supplements or any of the bullshit. I eat what you just described mainly but occasionally when I need to shift a bit of fat cut out the grains. it's not a fad or a con. It works.

I am not training to be a professional sportsman and I dont compare myself to them. What I do compare myself to is other fellas my age who dont train have 40 inch waists and can barely lift themselves out of the chair let alone 500lb + off the deck.