You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you happy about Benteke?

tlw content

He's worth a punt at £15M given his Premiership goal record. £32M is a ridiculous fee and we have been mugged I'm afraid. I'm all for spending big money on proven world class talent who fit in with the team. Unfortunately Benteke doesn't qualify and I can see him having a hard time here.

One thing that does need factoring in to discussions about fees and wages is the imminent leap in TV income. The new CL deal starts this season and the PL one next and that will inflate the market.

It's a pointlessly extravagant signing we didn't really need. What we need is a new goalkeeper, a new defence and a new midfield, what we've got is a v12 engine strapped to the top of a Reliant Robin.

Eh? We've needed a striker for over a year now

• Upvote 3

I'm content with the signing, if he stays injury free I think he will be a success.BR obviously wants someone with a physical presence up front and I can't think of any other players in that mould who we could get who would be a guarenteed success, Benteke has shown he can handle the prem so is a good choice imo.

It's a pointlessly extravagant signing we didn't really need. What we need is a new goalkeeper, a new defence and a new midfield, what we've got is a v12 engine strapped to the top of a Reliant Robin.

Or someone in charge who REALISES we need a new keeper, new defence and new midfield?

• Upvote 2

My main concern is whether or not Origi and Ings (the former in particular) will get enough minutes to fulfill their potential here. I hope so, as I think Origi will be a very good player and may even go on to be our best striker. (Don't want to burden him with that at this stage though, but I honestly think all the ingredients are there for him, and it will be frustrating if he spends too much time on the bench). So what of Benteke?

Benteke can play on his own up front and occupy defenders, giving our creative players - the likes of Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana - plenty of space to do their thing. Benteke can also play with a partner. He controls the ball and brings others into play. He also scores goals, a variety of goals, and if he keeps up with a 1 in 2 average that will be welcome. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. I hope Brendan has a clear plan.

One thing that does need factoring in to discussions about fees and wages is the imminent leap in TV income. The new CL deal starts this season and the PL one next and that will inflate the market.

I have a feeling that FSG aren't suddenly going to start spending lots more money though.

By who? Angry internet fans?

Season before last he was valued at £20m by Spuds and Villa said no. Since then Fellaini and Lukaku have gone for £27m. It's steep but £5m more than those two one season on with the cash flow growing from TV revenues isn't the Andy Carroll esque transfer fee many are making out.

Hardly, at christmas Villa were trying to get rid of him and most fans wanted him out (I know a few Villa fans who go)

I know it wasn't necessarily his fault but he was part of a team that scored 8 goals in 4 months of football or something.

Hardly represents a 32 million outlay

He's worth a punt at £15M given his Premiership goal record. £32M is a ridiculous fee and we have been mugged I'm afraid. I'm all for spending big money on proven world class talent who fit in with the team. Unfortunately Benteke doesn't qualify and I can see him having a hard time here.

£15m?? What planet are you on?

He's a 1 in 3 goals international striker and a 1 in 2 premier league man.

Our fullbacks cost us £16m and £12m which is the going rate for the least talented position on the pitch

• Upvote 1

£15m?? What planet are you on?

He's a 1 in 3 goals international striker and a 1 in 2 premier league man.

Our fullbacks cost us £16m and £12m which is the going rate for the least talented position on the pitch

No they didn't.

People assume if you score 15 for a lower team you will get way more for a better quality team. Rarely works out that way. Much more demanding to get 20 goals for Liverpool who often face teams who sit deep and try to hit us on the counter.

I saw the last part of the Belgian defeat Against Wales, he was awful playing with better players Like Hazard and De Bryune. Wales parked the bus and he did not offer anything. I reckon he will be OK when we are leading or the game is stretched but in some of those low scoring games last season I doubt he would have made any difference.

Belgium are a good example, didn't they prefer Origi over Lukkaku in the World Cup for the reason he gave the team better balance. Despite being a much lesser player.

This is what the Belgian coach said following their defeat. Bit shithouse by the manager but highlights something to be aware of.

“I changed my system afterwards, because Benteke was isolated. I then played with two strikers, but they need more crosses. We asked them to get to the front post, but they stand there like two poles. We still have work to do.”

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/belgium-boss-marc-wilmots-slams-christian-benteke-after-wales-defeat/397468#cuzrW4mlO4AXJCI6.99