You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I want the chance for people to reconsider now the consequences are clearer. Is it that strange that people should be asked "are you sure?"

We don't just vote one government into power for the foreseeable future ' people can change their minds every 5 years, Unless of course you really believe Theresa May when she says people know what they were getting into. Most didn't; why would they given staying in the single market was in the Tory manifesto so stop being an obtuse prick.

I'm sure you'd have been bang up for more Referendums every time terms with the EU changed and further integration planned if we'd have voted to Remain.

• Upvote 1

You want a Referendum on the Referendum?

I hate to have to quote Tim Farron, but we voted on a departure; nobody has been asked about the destination.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/theresa-may-just-told-enormous-lie.html

Some quotes from the campaign which (we are now told) gave May a mandate to leave the Single Market.

"Britain will stay in the single market whatever happens" - Pete North, pro-Brexit blogger

"There is no question about it, Britain will still have access to the single market after we vote leave" - Matthew Elliot, chief executive of the Vote Leave campaign

"There's a free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and Britain will still be part of it after we vote leave." - Chris Grayling, Tory Brexit campaigner and current member of Theresa May's own cabinet!

"Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market" - Daniel Hannan, Tory Vote Leave campaigner

"Only a madman would actually leave the market" - Owen Paterson, Tory Vote Leave campaigner

Norway, Switzerland, all of these countries have complete free trade with the EU, and by the way, I can't help noticing that they're doing pretty well." Daniel Hannan, Tory Vote Leave campaigner

"Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing" - Nigel Farage, Leave.EU campaigner and UKIP leader at the time

"Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK" - Arron Banks, Leave.EU founder and massive UKIP bankroller

Negotiate a shit deal. Parliament votes it down. Hard Brexit. Slashes corporation tax - then public services, the NHS, worker's rights, wages. Lots of people on zero hour contracts. Then blame it all on Parliament voting it down.

Hmmmm.

I've changed my mind on a second referendum over the last couple of months. For a long time I was all for letting it lie, respecting the result and hoping it could be made to work, but now I want a second referendum if Parliament rejects the final deal. Not because I'm desperate for us to stay in the EU - Brexit could be made to work in principle under a Labour government, and could end up being better in some respects than what we've got now - but rather to avoid the situation you describe of Parliament being forced to choose between a shit deal and no deal at all. Without the possibility of the vote to leave being overturned, the Tories have no incentive to get a deal that's good for the whole country and Labour have no leverage to press them for one. As it is we're set to get either a deal that's good for the Tories' backers and bad for everyone else, or one that's bad all round because neither side will give ground on freedom of movement.

In principle I'd like a referendum to have more options than just remain or leave; ideally it should have stay in the EU, accept the Brexit deal on offer, leave with no deal and revert to WTO rules, and possibly send the government back to renegotiate a new deal to be voted on in a third and final referendum. I've got doubts about how workable it would be, especially the last option, but at the end of the day it's all academic as there is zero chance of it happening anyway.

I know someone ,she's retired , voted leave and spends most of her time staying with her son in Spain .

A few months ago I gave her chapter and verse on why she was nuts to what she did and she would suffer lots of consequences in terms of healthcare and her limited funds would be stretched with the weak pound. She wouldn't have it that leaving the EU would likely mean losing free healthcare in Europe. She thought there were too many immigrants so voted leave yet she lives in a nice area spending most of here time

out of the country . I've known her for years and always thought she was clever and articulate. She is in many ways and there must be millions out there that missed the point and thought is was a harmless exercise in giving Cameron a slap . needless to say she regrets it and is very concerned she will not be able to see as much of her family. She certainly can't afford private health ,  

I know someone ,she's retired , voted leave and spends most of her time staying with her son in Spain .

A few months ago I gave her chapter and verse on why she was nuts to what she did and she would suffer lots of consequences in terms of healthcare and her limited funds would be stretched with the weak pound. She wouldn't have it that leaving the EU would likely mean losing free healthcare in Europe. She thought there were too many immigrants so voted leave yet she lives in a nice area spending most of here time

out of the country . I've known her for years and always thought she was clever and articulate. She is in many ways and there must be millions out there that missed the point and thought is was a harmless exercise in giving Cameron a slap . needless to say she regrets it and is very concerned she will not be able to see as much of her family. She certainly can't afford private health ,

You've got to love people who can make a distinction between an immigrant and an expat.

No mate because I will hopefully have the option of a UK political party that has a vision to take us in another direction.

You won't. Operation 2020 is in full swing and with the Tory gerrymandering of the boundaries it'll be at least another 8 years of this shit. The only way to stop it is for the progressives to join together but Labour aren't interested.

Are the remain voters in favour of EU centralised taxation and a EU army  or would you just say we don't need to do that bit?

Fiscal union has been suggested as an extension of monetary union.  (Given the problems of the Euro, there are many arguing that it should have been part of the package from the start.)  The UK opted out of monetary union, so even if Remain had won, there would be no call to join any fiscal union.

Proposals for a European Defence Union, as far as can be determined at this early stage, envisage a means of coordinating the armed forces of Member States in mutual defence; a bit like a more effective UN or a less US-dominated NATO.  Given that the new US President is cool on NATO and negligent in the face of the greatest aggressor facing Europe, you can understand why Europeans might want to rely on themselves for defence.

@Cavalorn

'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

• Upvote 2

Its ok Boris will be along

Fuck Toyota,we dont need Japanese cars,we will make British cars. British Cars for British people

Yeah but I live in Derby. It's not going to be very good sight, seeing lots of unemployed people. Brings down house values and all sorts of other negative consequences.

The Toyota boss is going to consider with its suppliers "how it can survive" in Derby. These kind of statements aren't good if you work at Toyota or any of the plethora of foreign owned manufacturers and their suppliers.

May will be forced to do a deal.  No matter which way it goes, the country will lose a huge amount of tax revenue.