You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Watching interviews with thick cunts in Hartlepool and feel like lashing my shoe at the tele.

I mean, you are talking about people who elected a monkey as their mayor. They are already a dead loss to society. In fact, it would probably be better if the entire eastern seaboard of England fell into the sea.

• Upvote 1

Gotta love the folk saying that things will be bad in the short term, but they will be a lot better in the long term, which seems to be the standard Leave parrot phrase.

How does that work then? It's like taking a chainsaw to your foot, and hoping that they invent bionic limbs in the future that allow you to fly everywhere, so in the meantime you're happy to hobble around on a bloody stump.

I hardly even need to point out that, in the long term, everyone is dead.[/quote

]

Majority of people I work with were buzzing today with the referendum. Just been informed that there's a strong chance of redundancies In the next two months.

Nice swan.

If I was your boss, I would only sack folk who voted Leave. You have to give the people what they voted for.

Really cant get over being seriously fucked off today. Mostly because this referendum needed to be decided by the young. Those that will need to live with the choices made. But its been swung by the old who benefited from the social changes post WW2 with all the advantages of cheap housing,a healthcare system,long term employment and pensions and strong unions. They have now pissed on that legacy with recent general elections and this referendum. The young wanted in and we have been fucked

• Upvote 1

If they had been true, it would have been funny.

Try to find something that is true and ridiculous and I'll laugh. Otherwise you may as well say

A bit of fun:

Boris Johnson sucks cock

Get a life mate. If you so serious you cant take a bit of lightheartedness, I think that's a shame.

Lloyds and RBS both got hammered today. Lets hope they recover tomorrow.

Ah, crying for the bankers who trashed the economy, still took massive bonuses and brought about a severe dose of austerity for ordinary people. Who'd have believed it, eh?

Really cant get over being seriously fucked off today. Mostly because this referendum needed to be decided by the young. Those that will need to live with the choices made. But its been swung by the old who benefited from the social changes post WW2 with all the advantages of cheap housing,a healthcare system,long term employment and pensions and strong unions. They have now pissed on that legacy with recent general elections and this referendum. The young wanted in and we have been fucked

It should have been weighted like the Dead Pool tournament, so you get more votes if you're under 30.

Ah, crying for the bankers who trashed the economy, still took massive bonuses and brought about a severe dose of austerity for ordinary people. Who'd have believed it, eh?

Enabled by the Tory government who now due to the idiocy of some and the selfishness of others, the right of of that party are in power in perpetuity.

Well done.

Lloyds and RBS are both part-owned by the taxpayer, you complete cretin. If they take a hit, we take a hit.

Err.

No I am crying for the billions we have invested in them and I dont want to have to plough even more billions into them to prevent the average person losing their savings in their accounts. Dick.

I am coming up 68 years old and I voted to remain for the sake of my grandchildren,I was in engineering all my working life,well until Thatcher decimated the industry to break the unions.I fought that cow tooth and nail but the ordinary working bloke still voted for her so nothing surprises me now.I have no doubt at all after working all over Europe these past years before I retired,that there is none more ignorant,stupid and more proud of it than the British.
  • Upvote 8

Spot on that mate. I was with someone on Monday, who told me he was voting out "because of all the fucking pakis". Honestly, I didn't even know how to answer that. Apparently he wasn't racist, he just wanted his area to feel more English. With that type of logic, we're getting driven in the a whole new world to be designed by the far right of the tory party. People with a brain like that making decisions on something our political class have failed to communicate even if they maybe understand it.

We're rolling the dice into the complete unknown and it's being celebrated like it's 1945.

As you say, thick cunts.

I just don't even.

There's absolutely no doubt that here in Oldham the 60% leave vote was bolstered by people who saw the referendum as their chance to 'send a message' regarding immigration in general.  The problem of course is that immigration from the EU is essentially insignificant in this town - at the last census in 2011 there were less than 500 immigrants from EU countries here in a population of well over 200,000.

Sadly there's a significant cohort of people here who are too thick to grasp concepts like not trying to make a point about something by voting in a particular way in answer to a completely different question with no regard whatsoever for the coinsequences of their actions.  There are also a hell of a lot of the archetypal bigoted older people who seem to think this is the first step in regaining the gory of Empire and can't seem to grasp the fact that their memories of what life was like before we joined the common market have absolutely zero relevance because it's not the late 60s any more and the entire social and economic makeup of the country has changed since then.

I saw a few days before the vote Gillian Duffy, that miserable pursed-lipped old cunt whom Gordon Brown called 'that bigoted woman' was given a few column inches in the Mirror, who were at least trying to give some balance to their coverage.  She lives in Rochdale, the next town across.  This is what she said:

I have already voted to leave the EU - back in the 1975 referendum. Even before that my husband and I didn’t want to join the Common Market.

My dad was alive then and he said he didn’t think it was going to do us any good.  He said ‘our country has everything – we have got fishing, we have got North Sea gas, we have got coal, we are self-sufficient, why do we want to go with them’?

My dad had done six years in a war - he was one of the first to be called up and one of the last to come home.  So he had a different way of thinking about Europe . They say you forgive and forget, but after what they went through I don’t think a lot of these men did.

Here in Rochdale, many people come and talk to me about the referendum in the street - and everyone tells me they will be voting to leave.

I haven’t had a single person tell me that they want to stay in Europe.

The politicians don’t know any better than anyone else what is going to happen and I am frightened for my grandchildren and their children.

But what I do believe is we are going to lose our British identity if we stay in Europe, and if we lose that we lose everything.

We have a lot of immigrants who come in and a lot of them are here legally. But there are thousands are illegal.

So we should be managing our own laws, managing our own borders and vetting people properly.  If we leave the EU, we will take our country back and start looking after the people who are here now.

I would hope the government would use the money people say they will save from leaving Europe to sort out the NHS and get things going again for this country.

We can’t depend on Europe to sort us out – they won’t. We need to reclaim Great Britain and look after ourselves.

We need to get the country running right and to do that we need to be independent, we don’t need other people making decisions for us.

I don’t think trade will be affected if we leave. The British high street is filled with foreign stores – Aldi & Lidl. If we leave will they stop trading with us?

We don’t need to be in Europe – it is just a nuisance. We need to stand alone and look after ourselves.  We need to keep our British identity for the future generations of this country.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gillian-duffy-changed-course-election-8232751

Rochdale's ethnic makeup is very similar to Oldham's - the 2011 census shows 4.1% white and non-British compared to 15% Pakistani, Bangladeshi and other Asian.  There can be some overlap there obviously, my next door neighbour is of Asian heritage but Belgian nationality for example, but the overall picture is clear.

So when Duffy says 'We have a lot of immigrants who come in and a lot of them are here legally. But there are thousands are illegal.', We need to reclaim Great Britain' and 'We need to keep our British identity', I think we need to accept that we're seeing someone use the well-recognised code for 'I don't like darkies'.

This is a supposedly lifelong Labour voter using almost identical language to that used by the BNP when they were campaigning up here.  Why?  Because she's a complete and utter fucking moron.  Even if you take that specific aspect out of her comments, the overall flavour is harking back to some glorious past.  The past is the past.  It's dead and buried and we are not going to go back there.  I don't give a fuck what she thought in 1974 when her dad was only 29 years home from a war that changed the world because it was over 40 years ago.

• Upvote 6

Their shares form part of millions of peoples pensions . The decline in their share value doesn't punish bankers for historical excesses

Its ordinary people, yet again , that will suffer.

Enabled by the Tory government who now due to the idiocy of some and the selfishness of others, the right of of that party are in power in perpetuity.

Well done.

What bollocks. The Labour Party needs to look at itself and make itself electable.

And just in case you didnt know, tories cant be in Government forever unless people vote for them. Get off your fucking knees.