You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freedom of speech

banger

There's a persuasive view at the moment that Liberalism and not bigotry and inflammatory views are what is eroding free speech.

The self censorship of the left is slowly limiting free thought as everything has to be second guessed before it's aired to check for perceived offence. Liberalism is effectively eating itself and creating an evolution of thinking which goes against our natural instincts to see difference.

It's interesting to think that language and thought patterns also evolve though cultural predilections.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There's a persuasive view at the moment that Liberalism and not bigotry and inflammatory views are what is eroding free speech.

The self censorship of the left is slowly limiting free thought as everything has to be second guessed before it's aired to check for perceived offence. Liberalism is effectively eating itself and creating an evolution of thinking which goes against our natural instincts to see difference.

It's interesting to think that language and thought patterns also evolve though cultural predilections.

BINARY. DAWKINS. BEEP. BOOP.

• Downvote 2

Your counter point is?

if you're going to maintain this enlightened post human inTerNeZ persona that you are playing up to you should atleast recognise that I was paraphrasing an idea, not putting forward a proposition.

The argument was drivel and I posted drivel in response. 

The argument was drivel and I posted drivel in response. 

How so?

Time to put your intellect where your mouth is.

Discredit with non straw man arguments and show that your faculties are as sharp as you think they are.

Otherwise you've shown yourself up as a know nothing gobshite who once read a copy of New Scientist in an airport and stopped there because you thought you'd learnt enough.

• Upvote 1

It's a widely-repeated view that "Political Correctness" threatens free speech, but I reckon its bollocks.

I see very, very little evidence of people biting their tongues and feeling like they can't express honest opinions; even when those opinions are baseless and dangerously offensive.  A bigger threat to free speech in public discourse is the tone set by the handful of tax-dodging neoliberal billionaires who control almost all the daily newspapers (together with their fellow tax-averse, obscenely rich neoliberals in Westminster).  Anyone or anything that argues against their worldview is ridiculed and/or denounced as extremist.

• Upvote 3

It's a widely-repeated view that "Political Correctness" threatens free speech, but I reckon its bollocks.

I see very, very little evidence of people biting their tongues and feeling like they can't express honest opinions; even when those opinions are baseless and dangerously offensive.  A bigger threat to free speech in public discourse is the tone set by the handful of tax-dodging neoliberal billionaires who control almost all the daily newspapers (together with their fellow tax-averse, obscenely rich neoliberals in Westminster).  Anyone or anything that argues against their worldview is ridiculed and/or denounced as extremist.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. However, I think the issue gets compounded when you realize that a vast majority of people simply regurgitate the shit faux-outrage you hear from those neo-liberal billionaire funded media sites, television programs, and newspapers. So you end up with loads of people acting upset about something on social media that they would've openly thought was funny 3-6 months ago, because they've been told to feel that way now. It's a basically a bunch of people following the herd, mind you in private most of those people are either actually laughing or just not bothered about the topic. Then as you said, when someone calls these people on their hypocrisy they're labelled as some form of extremist or otherwise negative form of being.

• Upvote 1

I agree with this wholeheartedly. However, I think the issue gets compounded when you realize that a vast majority of people simply regurgitate the shit faux-outrage you hear from those neo-liberal billionaire funded media sites, television programs, and newspapers. So you end up with loads of people acting upset about something on social media that they would've openly thought was funny 3-6 months ago, because they've been told to feel that way now. It's a basically a bunch of people following the herd, mind you in private most of those people are either actually laughing or just not bothered about the topic. Then, as you said, when someone calls these people on their hypocrisy they're labelled as some form of extremist or otherwise negative form of being.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Couldn't find an alternate thread to put this in.

Internet pseudo celeb Count Dankula has just been found guilty of being “Grossly Offensive” under the Communications Act of 2003 in Scotland for a viral video in which he taught his bird's pet pug to Nazi salute to wind her up. Facing jail time for it. 

There will be a lot of "shock comedians" frantically deleting material as we speak. 

Couldn't find an alternate thread to put this in.

Internet pseudo celeb Count Dankula has just been found guilty of being “Grossly Offensive” under the Communications Act of 2003 in Scotland for a viral video in which he taught his bird's pet pug to Nazi salute to wind her up. Facing jail time for it. 

There will be a lot of "shock comedians" frantically deleting material as we speak. 

John Cleese must be shitting his keks.

• Upvote 1

Count dankula, you say?

*googles ‘count dankula’*

Ok, so the top story is an article in defence of him in Breitbart. Beneath that, an interview with Tommy Robinson

*sigh*

Norrarsed. Not even remotely.

He was found guilty For a stupid joke. Crude as it was, it's no worse than Frankie Boyle or somebody similar. I like Tommy Robinson less than I like Hitler, but... 'defend their right to say it' and all that.

First they came for the twats off YouTube...

• Upvote 3

He was found guilty For a stupid joke. Crude as it was, it's no worse than Frankie Boyle or somebody similar. I like Tommy Robinson less than I like Hitler, but... 'defend their right to say it' and all that.

First they came for the twats off YouTube...

You may have a point mate; but if this is outraging the likes of Breitbart and Robinson, that causes my senses to shut down. Can’t even raise the slightest of fucks to give.

Plus, he calls himself ‘Count Dankula’ - he deserves everything he gets.

• Upvote 1

Oh, aye, they're twats for sure.

I only became aware of the case when he was a guest on a podcast I listened to speaking about it. He said that every time he tried to explain to a member of the MSM they'd hatchet his comments and slaughter him so he stopped talking to them.

I think unfortunately this meant his only "allies" rallying for him have their own agenda.