You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen

Gnasher

I like Joe Allen. Good professional, good character, good player. However he's in that strange place of being good enough to be a squad man for us, but not quite good enough to hold down a regular spot. He has games where he passes very well and even opens things up by passing forward. But then on other occasions it looks like the pace and strength isn't quite there, and he's brushed off the ball. But then on other occasions he shields it and turns and it opens up again.

It's a tricky one for me. At his age and level he would want to see more action than we will likely give him, so I think he'll be off. But as things stand I can't say the midfielders we have brought in or been linked with (Grujic and Zielinski) are better. They may go on to be, but at present I'm not sure about that.

Best of luck to wee Joe if and when he moves on. In the meantime I hope he continues to do well at the Euros with Wales.

I like Joe Allen. Good professional, good character, good player. However he's in that strange place of being good enough to be a squad man for us, but not quite good enough to hold down a regular spot. He has games where he passes very well and even opens things up by passing forward. But then on other occasions it looks like the pace and strength isn't quite there, and he's brushed off the ball. But then on other occasions he shields it and turns and it opens up again.

It's a tricky one for me. At his age and level he would want to see more action than we will likely give him, so I think he'll be off. But as things stand I can't say the midfielders we have brought in or been linked with (Grujic and Zielinski) are better. They may go on to be, but at present I'm not sure about that.

Best of luck to wee Joe if and when he moves on. In the meantime I hope he continues to do well at the Euros with Wales.

The midfielders we have aren't any better, I'd play him centre mid ahead of Hendersona and Milner, for sure. We're short on quality in midfield. We've got Can, bags of potential but blows hot and cold; Hendo and Milner who don't really pass the ball that well or control games from the centre of the park. Allen is the only thing we have that comes close to a playmaker in the centre of the park. We seriously need a class operator to control the tempo, and we need it whether Allen stays or leaves.

Southampton and Leicester City are interested in signing Joe Allen. #lfc (Gary Jacob - Times)

Swansea City are interested in re-signing Allen but fear that his price could have risen too high. #lfc (Gary Jacob - Times)

Allen has been given no assurances about his future but has not been told that he can leave Anfield. #lfc (Gary Jacob - Times)

Don't really think we can expect much more for our reserves. What are the reasons he hasn't been consistently in our first team under two managers over four years? A poor midfield at that.

That said, selling our players when they're playing as well as they ever have and hitting their peak years, with experience gained, I can't fathom how we'll ever compete at the top of the league again.