You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen

Gnasher

The midfielders we have aren't any better, I'd play him centre mid ahead of Hendersona and Milner, for sure. We're short on quality in midfield. We've got Can, bags of potential but blows hot and cold; Hendo and Milner who don't really pass the ball that well or control games from the centre of the park. Allen is the only thing we have that comes close to a playmaker in the centre of the park. We seriously need a class operator to control the tempo, and we need it whether Allen stays or leaves.

I'd play him in the middle ahead of Milner (he is better on the right) but not ahead of Henderson. I think Henderson had an iffy season because it was undermined by injury. If he puts that behind him he's better than Allen, for me.

Mind you, I don't disagree with the point that we still need better in the middle. Hopefully we sign a top class central midfielder this summer.

Guest Pistonbroke

Problem with Allen is he wouldn't work in a Klopp 2-man midfield.

Exactly, he just doesn't suit the way Klopp likes to set up, but if we have to rely on a plan B or C he is a good asset to have. I think the lad himself wouldn't be happy to be a squad player though and that is why we'll end up selling him. Hopefully his market value reflects his ability and we can cash in to buy the squad players Klopp needs. 

Guest Pistonbroke

He's played well in the Euros, very good display today.

Probably isn't, or at least shouldn't be, good enough to be a starter here. But clearly a quality player, and him going to Celtic would be like Pogba joining West Brom.

I agree with that, I reckon he'd fit in well at a Prem Team who set up for the style he plays. He'd be a very good asset for Swansea again if they weren't taking the piss with their offer. I also reckon he'd be a perfect fit for newcomers Hull or Boro. 

If we were buying him he'd probably cost us 30 million and yet we'll probably sell him for 10 million won't we Ian?

He only has one year left on his contract doesn't he? Echo suggested he won't sign a new one as he wants to be more than a squad player. That will affect how much we could get for him.

If the impasse over the Zielinski and Dahoud deals continues, then I would imagine we will offer Joe Allen a bit more playing time next season and extend his contract. He's a good player and I don't see much point making a sideways move if we can't get the player/s we've identified. Sell Joe Allen and settle for a plan B incoming? I'd probably rather keep Joe Allen at this point.

Obviously if there's breakthrough in either of the deals above, I suspect Allen will be sold.

I see it similarly as to what we'll do, in that if we can't sign Dahoud we'll keep him, but think he's unlikely to accept renewing his contract and will instead see out his final year, with us hoping to bag Dahoud next summer when Allen's a free agent.

Obviously in the meanwhile we risk someone else paving the way to prepare a sensational post-aggressive monitoring swoop for Dahoud of their own.

In my opinion, Allen is someone who should be seen as close to indispensable. He's a perfect squad player and occasional starter, and has qualities that no other midfielder at the club possesses in terms of his touch and ability on the ball. 

If he is the one that is driving this move because he wants assurances of first-team football, then that's fine, but I don't want to believe that we are pushing him out or that the club thinks that he is surplus to requirements.

He has been in the top 2/3 players at the euros. There is no fucking way we should be selling him for less than £25m, especially as I've just thought of a great song for him !

That wouldn't be true even if you just watched Wales games.

He was diabolical against England, when a Rooney led midfield took the piss.  Bullied by league one players against N Ireland and numerous sloppy passes against Belgium, one of which resulting in Ramsay's yellow which means he'll miss the semi.

Easily the most over-rated player on here.

Go watch a Croatia game and take a look at Modric and you'll see a player worthy of the praise constantly given to Allen.

He was diabolical against England, when a Rooney led midfield took the piss. Bullied by league one players against N Ireland and numerous sloppy passes against Belgium, one of which resulting in Ramsay's yellow which means he'll miss the semi.

Go watch a Croatia game and take a look at Modric and you'll see a player worthy of the praise constantly given to Allen.

Anyone from the English squad perform better? The semi final without Ramsey, Joe was in a side of championship players.

He was diabolical against England, when a Rooney led midfield took the piss. Bullied by league one players against N Ireland and numerous sloppy passes against Belgium, one of which resulting in Ramsay's yellow which means he'll miss the semi.

Fucking hell, Modric is a 50 mil pound player who plays for real Madrid, we are selling Allen for 10-15 mil. Let's get some perspective

Ramsey,Bale,Giggs,Bellamy,Williams etc must have been utter fucking shit when Joe won these awards,

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19877465