You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we win a trophy this season?

Guest Simon LFC

Guest Simon LFC

Whats your honest opinion lads? Can Rafa steer us to a trophy (or 2) in his first season?

Being totally honest i cant see us winning the Premiership this season although it's not impossible but the FA Cup or the League Cup along with a very good Champions League run is not impossible and although its only early in the season i think its a tall order for Rafa to win the title in his first season at Anfield.

IMO - a top 2/3 finish this season would be fantastic along with a good run in the Champions League and a trip to Cardiff next May would be a great first season for Rafa and the boys...

What do you think?

Wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with nothing. It's gonna be a season of transition, similar to 99-00 I think, which was GH's first full season. We went out of the cup at home to Blackburn that year and went out of the Worthy early on.

Our CL group looks very daunting and we'll do very well to progress.

This is one of those threads that will probably get dug up by Hermes in May to see who was right/wrong.

Based on the first four games this year and last season, if Arsenal remain healthy and don't over emphasize the CL, it is already a two-horse race. The mancs are done like dinner, dropped too many points already. In all honesty, we had 30 pts to make up and that ain't gonna happen overnight. It would take a massive dip by Arse and Chelsea for us to challenge.

Rafa said three months for the team to gel. If we can get into the last 16 of the CL than I think QF or semi is a distinct possibility. It's our turn to win the Carling Cup and the FA is a crap shoot. I think 3rd, about 12-15 pts behind Arsenal/Chelsea would be a success.

Moreover, those not on board for the Long Haul of the Rafalution can jump off the Bandwagon now. For once you're off the wagon, there's no getting back on.

We haven't got any chance whatsoever of winning the Premiership or CL this season. It's all about progress for me - progress in terms of the style of football and of course results.

The FA Cup is a possibilty of course and it would be a big boost if we won that because success breeds success, but I can see this being a difficult season.

I'm not expecting us to win anything this season. It could take months for Rafa to get the old players playing the way he wants them to and the new players (and Rafa?) to get used to English football. The FA cup is a possibility as we'll have had a bit more time by then but I'm prepared to be patient and write this season off. I just hope the rest of our fans feel the same but judging by the reactions of a few already my hopes aren't high on that score.

I think we're going to see a few more dodgy performances until the Rafalution is fully bedded in. To that end, I can see us having a markedly improved season after Christmas, in terms of both performances and results.

Despite how shite the Mancs are, I can't see us finishing any higher than fourth, but I'd be happy with a points total of 70+, as long as the football is more enjoyable. If we qualify for the knockout stages of the CL, I'd regard it as an achievement - particularly if we got the chance to face Madrid.

As for the other two trophies, they'd be nice but I'm not that arsed. I want to see us focus on Shanks' "bread and butter".

I think this season is going to be very much one of change, and I wouldn't rule out a couple of major signings at Christmas; certainly next summer. However, one thing I am increasingly convinced of is that this will be Steven Gerrard's last season with Liverpool. He won't wait around anymore for the major trophies and the only way he'll stay is if we win one of them this season or come within touching distance of doing so, which I can't see. He'll join Owen at Real next summer.

Despite how that reads, I don't feel negative about this campaign; I'm just aware of how far we've fallen. I do think we will make a serious title challenge next season, though. I know that was everyone's mantra under GH, but with Rafa I think it'll be true. He will use this campaign to dramatically alter the team, both in personnel and style of play, before really going for it next time round.

Viva la Rafalution.

I'm not expecting us to win anything this season. It could take months for Rafa to get the old players playing the way he wants them to and the new players (and Rafa?) to get used to English football. The FA cup is a possibility as we'll have had a bit more time by then but I'm prepared to be patient and write this season off. I just hope the rest of our fans feel the same but judging by the reactions of a few already my hopes aren't high on that score.

Second that.

Guest darryljon

After the the first 3 games you would think not but the EPL is a Marathon not a sprint and expect the likes of Kewell,Alonso,Garcia,Gerrard etc to all come good in the coming weeks when the have had time to gel together.

you probably all think im bonkers but i fancy us to get to CL semi final or even better.

Monaco arent the team they were last year and we should progress with Depotivo into the knock out stages and as Monaco and Porto showed last year anything can happen, Porto were 30 seconds from going out.

im looking for 75 points in the league which will probably be 3rd or 4th and who knows about the other cups, its all in the draw

Yeah, cup trophy's will be our only chance this season, i have us as Runners-up to the gooners in te EPL but the FA or CL cp would be a bonus

I don't mean to sound snotty mate but why do you keep calling it the EPL? It's 'the league' or even 'the premiership'.

Next you'll be describing a Baros goal midway through the second half as being scored in the third quarter.

If we win a place in the CL I'll be content,on the basis we narrow the points tally on Arsenal by ten points on last season.

A cup would be a bonus,but this season is all about bedding in Rafa and the new look Liverpool,and the man's got a big job on his hands.

Next season it's onwards and upwards.

I would be quite happy wth 4th and CL qualification again providing the football was better. I appreciated what GH did for us and would have loved if he could have done it for us - (which I feel he would have had it not been for the illness), However, the football was bad. Very Bad. Went to the Bolton game and I know we lost, but thought the midfield looked good and with SH at the back the full game and Dudek in more confidnet mood and the strikers better adjusted could have won it easily against a side now third. Will take a while to bes in, but Rafa is the man or we are forever doomed!!! - Happy with the CL qualification for now and anything else is a bonus in his first season

If it wasn't for the money it brings in then I'd want us out of the Shit League as soon as possible.

All we should be arsed about this year is the league. Everything else should be secondary.

I'm not saying we have a chance of winning it, as I think that's a bit unrealistic even with my optomism, but all of our efforts shold be focussed on shortening that 30 point gap. The Arse League is just a pointless distraction. We have a below zero chance of winning it anyway so why bother?

Not arsed about either FA or League trophies either to be honest. Again, just somewhat pointless distractions for me.

Next year is another matter of course, but it's all about the league imo this season and nothing else should matter at all.

I just want us to play nice-flowing-attacking football tbh. If we can finish 3rd in the league then that's satisfactory enough for me. No need for other tropies.

On contrary, Tom, I would love to see us progress as far as possible in the CL. Money apart, the team will get valuable experience playing against top clubs in Europe and we can translate that to the premiership.

Who am I to argue with Tom R? God help me.

I just want us to play nice-flowing-attacking football tbh. If we can finish 3rd in the league then that's satisfactory enough for me. No need for other tropies.

On contrary, Tom, I would love to see us progress as far as possible in the CL. Money apart, the team will get valuable experience playing against top clubs in Europe and we can translate that to the premiership.

Who am I to argue with Tom R? God help me.

You make a good point about playing against top opposition, and in an ideal world I'd want that to, but we can't even play well against teams in our own league so placing any emphasis on the Wanky League is like flying before we can walk.

I'd rather go out very early and focus efforts on the league.

If we finish in the league 29 points or less behind Arsenal then I'd be quite happy with that, providing we qualify for the Turdy League again.