You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Suarez

boots123

They keep showing all his goals on LFCTV.

He's pretty frickin' special is Luis. I genuinely hope he goes on to bigger and better things with Barca (not against us obviously). Love watching him play.

Moving forward, I reckon we give Sterling the no. 7 jersey and build the team around him.

• Upvote 1

I'm not that arsed about this simply because it's been on the cards for the last year. It's not the 'out of the blue' transfer like Torres' was.

He worked his bollocks off for us and never hid.

Good luck to him but he's a footnote in our history now.

Onwards and upwards

I don't feel too overwhelmed that he's finally moved on as it was always going to happen. I suspect most Latin American players would want to play at Barcelona or Real Madrid given the chance, and the pull would be even greater if you already have family there (I understand it's his wife's family). Even so there is a somewhat empty feeling this evening and for me I think I know why.  

Before he joined us I was feeling pretty disillusioned with football in general, with occasional thoughts of even packing it in, as a result of watching clubs basically starting to buy success and also what happened with us with our previous charlatan owners. Of course I could never turn away from football, and certainly not this club as it runs too deep, but there was certainly a deep dissatisfaction. Until Luis came that is. His sheer appetite for the game, his incredible hunger and desire to win, his unbelievable work-rate, his mesmerising nutmegs and skills, his fantastic goal-scoring and goal creating abilities and even his misdemeanours to some extent...it all gave me back the joy of football so to speak. Of course it wasn't him alone as we now have a manager who plays the game in a very entertaining way which has certainly complemented Luis' incredible footballing brain and made football exciting and enjoyable for me once again.

Thus for me it's been a huge pleasure to have seen Luis play and observe the excitement and drama he has created and been involved in over the past few seasons. I feel I've witnessed an unbelievably great player, who I actually do hope goes on to achieve all he can and also, importantly, finds a way to stop doing the things that make him such a controversial character. The reason I want him to succeed is simple. Unlike many modern players these days who agitate for moves, when he played for us he always fought and gave everything for us on the football pitch for the whole 90+ minutes. Even if we were winning a game 4-0 he'd still be there willing his teammates on to get another. With hindsight his tears at Palace were clearly disappointment that he couldn't bring the title to us last season as I strongly suspect he knew he'd be leaving this summer.

For those of you who have been a part of and understand Latin American culture, you will know how they play with their hearts on their sleeves, they play with a raw passion and emotion when something really matters to them. Such is the South American way, they will give everything and demand everything from their teammates. I saw this in Luis Suarez and as such I don't believe he is just another player seeking a move to earn more money. This move is about his career, reaching what he possibly sees as his pinnacle, playing for one of the best Spanish teams, and also about his family, I'm sure his wife will have been pushing for the move once she knew of Barcelona's interest. Nevertheless I thank Luis for breathing life into football once again for me at the very least!

• Upvote 13

He's a snip at 75m if he can imitate a sane person for a year or two, the crazy bitey bastard.

I admit though that I will laugh my tits off if/when he does something inexplicably stupid. It'll be a relief to be able to just stare in amazement and then burst out laughing as he starts eating Osasuna midfielders like a Walking Dead zombie without that sinking feeling we got when he was ours.

I don't feel too overwhelmed that he's finally moved on as it was always going to happen. I suspect most Latin American players would want to play at Barcelona or Real Madrid given the chance, and the pull would be even greater if you already have family there (I understand it's his wife's family). Even so there is a somewhat empty feeling this evening and for me I think I know why.  

Before he joined us I was feeling pretty disillusioned with football in general, with occasional thoughts of even packing it in, as a result of watching clubs basically starting to buy success and also what happened with us with our previous charlatan owners. Of course I could never turn away from football, and certainly not this club as it runs too deep, but there was certainly a deep dissatisfaction. Until Luis came that is. His sheer appetite for the game, his incredible hunger and desire to win, his unbelievable work-rate, his mesmerising nutmegs and skills, his fantastic goal-scoring and goal creating abilities and even his misdemeanours to some extent...it all gave me back the joy of football so to speak. Of course it wasn't him alone as we now have a manager who plays the game in a very entertaining way which has certainly complemented Luis' incredible footballing brain and made football exciting and enjoyable for me once again.

Thus for me it's been a huge pleasure to have seen Luis play and observe the excitement and drama he has created and been involved in over the past few seasons. I feel I've witnessed an unbelievably great player, who I actually do hope goes on to achieve all he can and also, importantly, finds a way to stop doing the things that make him such a controversial character. The reason I want him to succeed is simple. Unlike many modern players these days who agitate for moves, when he played for us he always fought and gave everything for us on the football pitch for the whole 90+ minutes. Even if we were winning a game 4-0 he'd still be there willing his teammates on to get another. With hindsight his tears at Palace were clearly disappointment that he couldn't bring the title to us last season as I strongly suspect he knew he'd be leaving this summer.

For those of you who have been a part of and understand Latin American culture, you will know how they play with their hearts on their sleeves, they play with a raw passion and emotion when something really matters to them. Such is the South American way, they will give everything and demand everything from their teammates. I saw this in Luis Suarez and as such I don't believe he is just another player seeking a move to earn more money. This move is about his career, reaching what he possibly sees as his pinnacle, playing for one of the best Spanish teams, and also about his family, I'm sure his wife will have been pushing for the move once she knew of Barcelona's interest. Nevertheless I thank Luis for breathing life into football once again for me at the very least!

Tremendous words mate. Feel exactly the same.

• Upvote 2

Probably the best player I have seen in a Liverpool shirt. Natural talent allied with a desire to win, sometimes at all costs, which I have no problem with, and a team mentality that no coach can imbue through practice,  threats or cajoling.

Now he's gone. Liverpool will improve. We can't 'replace' him but we can advance without him, as we proved when he was suspended. But let's not play the game that the  fucking press implied when he had his mad moments. He is not a conniving, sly, South American, who would skin his mother for a peso. Our club, with their statement, have acknowledged that this move is not an opportunistic manoeuvre - it has been in the pipeline for a year. The club did well last season with the new contract, and Luis did well with his commitment when he wore the shirt. 

Now the parties salute each other. Don't buy the James Pearce shite about a 'deeply flawed' character. If such personally held views -applied without substantiation - were used to judge Pearce then we could conclude that he is a deformed little twat with an axe to grind. As are many of our hypocritical, flag flying, disappointed Little Englanders who see Suarez's departure as somehow 'good' for our game. The World Cup tells us that the English game learns absolutely fuck all from the occasional foreign genius that treads our pitches. But that Scott Parker, Frank Lampard, Jack Wilshere, Phil Jones and anyone else English you care to name can do a bulldog of a job for us. Not that I give a fuck about In-gur-land, but that's the thinking in our London-centric press.

The best player this country's witnessed for fucking decades is leaving. Now will the English media see him for what he actually is - one of the world's greatest footballers? I bet they will.

Did I mention Alex Ferguson first attacked Suarez as a "diver"? That's when the press got on the case. After that was "He called the 'boy' a nigger". And here we are.

• Upvote 11

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Can't be arsed reading that.

Allow me to adumbrate:

'Love ya but leavin' ya.

Yours,

Luis' PR rep'.

• Upvote 1

So we'll sign a replacement scouser from a smaller team who loves the club and will score a shitload of goals before we resign the outgoing player for 90% of what we sold him for after a less than successful stint in Europe?

I could probably handle that.

Let's pick up this conversation in 12 months time then.

Rooney

This is so true - I felt exactly the same.

Post more often please.

The best player this country's witnessed for fucking decades is leaving. Now will the English media see him for what he actually is - one of the world's greatest footballers? I bet they will.

Agree with the post in full but this bit is what's truly going to disgust me in the coming months. They'll all be wanking themselves silly over him the first time he has a masterclass in a Barcelona shirt. If he does what we all know he's capable of and I'd say most expect him to do, the headlines towards the end of the season will be "who's really the main man at Barca, Suarez or Messi?" I suppose the only positive is that the portuguese lady boy will likely be a distant third.

Am i the only one who thinks he is a 100mill player .75 mill fuck off Ayres should have dug our heels in he may be mad as an inmate in broadmoor but fuck me what a player he is

But here's the thing right....

A year ago Suarez had a so called buy out clause of £40M hence the Arsenal bid, the club as later admitted by JWH simple turned around and said fuck you and it was a little bit ambiguous and we'll face the consequences later if necessary.

So basically all parties (Suarez, his people and the club) came to an agreement later in the year that went like this...

Luis can sign a new contract now, have a big pay rise and a move next summer as long as (a) It's not to an English Club and (b) We will actually put in place a bona-fide buy out clause this time that is considerably more than £40M

It's not Ayre's fault that we didn't get more money for the lad, the buy out clause was met and that's the end of it.

• Upvote 2