You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Watched the first episode of Boat Story on iPlayer last night and absolutely loved it. It's a crime/dark comedy hybrid, reminds me of Guy Ritchie's early stuff but with its own unique, quirky vibe. Stellar cast as well, including the main man himself. Craig Fairbrass.

Doctor Who 4/10

To be honest i havent watched any of these for a while, but given David Tennant was back i thought id give it a go. Pretty dreadful to be honest. The story was dreadful, the acting from some of them was even worse and i did groan quite a bit at the binary/non binary bit, whatever that was meant to mean.

I will stick to the old episodes i think. I have been burnt recently by this, Frasier and Quantum Leap.

On 29/11/2023 at 10:57, Elite said:

Watched the first episode of Boat Story on iPlayer last night and absolutely loved it. It's a crime/dark comedy hybrid, reminds me of Guy Ritchie's early stuff but with its own unique, quirky vibe. Stellar cast as well, including the main man himself. Craig Fairbrass.

3 episodes into this now and it's ace.  Such a refreshing change from the norm.

6 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Shetland

It's a beautiful looking show but the acting is uniformly atrocious and the lead actress, Tosh, is a absolute dog.

5.5/10

Its a shame the lead actress looks have anything to do with the quality of the show. Unless with it being Shetland it is an actual four legged canine?

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

The Tosh character, at least  in the first couple, seemed shoe-horned in for comedic affect. Very jarring to me.

Binned it--I didn't really care about whodunnit, or any of the characters.

Did you watch Hinterland? Welsh detective drama jobby - not too bad about 3 series I think 

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2023 at 15:37, John102 said:

Doctor Who 4/10

To be honest i havent watched any of these for a while, but given David Tennant was back i thought id give it a go. Pretty dreadful to be honest. The story was dreadful, the acting from some of them was even worse and i did groan quite a bit at the binary/non binary bit, whatever that was meant to mean.

I will stick to the old episodes i think. I have been burnt recently by this, Frasier and Quantum Leap.

Do you not like Fraser? I've really enjoyed it. I thought it took a bit of time to warm up, but it's got better by the episode and this week's the best so far. 

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you not like Fraser? I've really enjoyed it. I thought it took a bit of time to warm up, but it's got better by the episode and this week's the best so far. 

Really?? Might give it another go. I got to 4 or 5 episodes and thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Niles' son may be one of the most pointless characters ever. Up there with Kirby in the original Fraiser.

9 minutes ago, John102 said:

Really?? Might give it another go. I got to 4 or 5 episodes and thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Niles' son may be one of the most pointless characters ever. Up there with Kirby in the original Fraiser.

He's undoubtedly the worst character, David probably has his best episode in this latest one, but he's still just a waste of time. Both Freddy and Alan improve as it goes though and I like both the female characters, although they've not developed those characters very much yet. And the episode when they brought Lilith back I thought was really well done. 

I think its biggest problem is its as short per episode as the original, 22 mins or whatever, but with the season only being 10 episode long, it doesn't create much chance to be invested in so many new characters. I think that format of show works much better when you've got 20-odd episode to bring all the characters through and if you were only going to do 10, maybe the episodes need 10 mins more. 

I'd probably say the first half of the season was about a 6.5/10, but the 2nd half 7.5-8/10

On 30/11/2023 at 17:03, Elite said:

3 episodes into this now and it's ace.  Such a refreshing change from the norm.

I agree - it's very stylised, but not annoyingly so, and there are a lot of smart and funny moments (the last supper reference made me laugh out loud).  Binge watched it on holiday last week, it was great - 8/10.

Started that Boat Story the other night. Thought the 1st episode was nuts but kept me wanting to watch the second which we turned off half way through. What the fuck is it meant to be? Tarantino meets The Fast Show? 

Gonna start Kin after the unmentionable. 

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Started that Boat Story the other night. Thought the 1st episode was nuts but kept me wanting to watch the second which we turned off half way through. What the fuck is it meant to be? Tarantino meets The Fast Show? 

Gonna start Kin after the unmentionable. 

Thought Kin was very good, really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

Just a quick mention for a new Netflix series - Obliterated. Only watched one episode and so there is no full review, but just wanted to warn people that this is fucking shit. It seems to be aiming for a True Lies vibe but every single main character is thoroughly unlikable and you just want them all killed in the first episode. I won’t be watching any more.

• Haha 1