You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rant: Centre backs playing as DM

The Great Jacko

So apart from Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes, David Luiz, Phil Jones, Kolo Toure, Pepe, Carlos Marchena, Ivan Helguera, Vincent Kompany, Phil Jagielka, Jamie Carragher, Fernando Hierro and Ivan Campo, can anybody name any centre halves who've played more than a handful of games at DM?

So apart from Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes, David Luiz, Phil Jones, Kolo Toure, Pepe, Carlos Marchena, Ivan Helguera, Vincent Kompany, Phil Jagielka, Jamie Carragher, Fernando Hierro and Ivan Campo, can anybody name any centre halves who've played more than a handful of games at DM?

El Jefecito!

Touche although there's a lot there I couldn't comment on I would say Toure, Carragher & Kompany all fit my comment ie they haven't played more than a handful of games there - and that's part of the point, as soon as someone's seen that a defender might have played a couple of games at DM early in in their career we have people suggesting they can cover at DM!!

In all seriousness it's obviously Allen that's cover and after that I reckon we'd change the system to a back 3 before deploying a CB in midfield - it would literally be the last resort. Priorities over the next 12 months central AM, DM, wide AM and striker. Get those over the next 2 windows and you never know.

Matthais Sammer , and Mascherano qualifies also ?

Desailly played quite a few times in midfield when he was at AC Milan. He was brilliant at it too.

I don't mind the idea of moving one of our centre-backs into midfield personally. I think Agger would probably the one best suited to the role. Never seen Sakho play there and I'm not sure whether he would be any good at it. He's not that great technically, and plays with his head constantly down on the ball like Baros used to do, so doubt he would have they for a pass.

I think the bigger issue is the defenders playing a higher line. With the added pace they can, if we so choose, and then Lucas and Stevie can push forward and the gap to the strikers is condensed too. The amount of central defenders we have also gives us the option for three at the back, as our fullbacks are pretty good at bombing forward.

The aqueduct ?

Oh and ...

Beckenbauer.

I'm getting pissed off with people either asking or suggesting that our centre backs play as the defensive midfielder if required. The answer is and will probably always be no. It's very very rare, maybe a DM has gone off injured and we don't have a replacement on the bench with 5mins to go - that sort of thing.

Name me a couple of centre halves who have played more than a handful of games at DM? Yet as soon we we have a defender who is half decent with the ball at his feet we think he can play at DM - absolute complete and utter bollocks and I'll tell you why in one word. Ready?

Mobility.

Centre backs are the least mobile players on the fucking pitch after a keeper and even then in some cases.... Even Didi was 10 times more mobile than a centre half and he was unique in his chain smoking/fortune teller mix.Plus being good with the ball at CB vs being decent with the ball in midfield is a world apart because in midfield you're given very little space and are constantly harassed. Unless you're very mobile. Even when a defender is being harried by a striker he nearly always has his partner or the keeper to pass to. A DM has to contribute to a pattern of play unless you have someone who can dribble the ball out of midfield that they can pass to which we don't (and was our priority this summer).

So please don't keep asking/suggesting whether Agger/Sakho/Ilori/Toure can cover at DM cause they can't *except for 5 mins or so in an emergency.

Mobility?

Plenty of players have played as a centre-back and as a striker.

Touche although there's a lot there I couldn't comment on I would say Toure, Carragher & Kompany all fit my comment ie they haven't played more than a handful of games there - and that's part of the point, as soon as someone's seen that a defender might have played a couple of games at DM early in in their career we have people suggesting they can cover at DM!!

In all seriousness it's obviously Allen that's cover and after that I reckon we'd change the system to a back 3 before deploying a CB in midfield - it would literally be the last resort. Priorities over the next 12 months central AM, DM, wide AM and striker. Get those over the next 2 windows and you never know.

Toure played more than a handful of games in midfield at the start of his Arsenal career. I'd be happy for him to deputise at DM in an emergency, I'd rather that than change the entire system to a back three.

Nothing wrong with his mobility either.

RrdDyQhhIec