You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rant: Centre backs playing as DM

The Great Jacko

I'm getting pissed off with people either asking or suggesting that our centre backs play as the defensive midfielder if required. The answer is and will probably always be no. It's very very rare, maybe a DM has gone off injured and we don't have a replacement on the bench with 5mins to go - that sort of thing.

Name me a couple of centre halves who have played more than a handful of games at DM? Yet as soon we we have a defender who is half decent with the ball at his feet we think he can play at DM - absolute complete and utter bollocks and I'll tell you why in one word. Ready?

Mobility.

Centre backs are the least mobile players on the fucking pitch after a keeper and even then in some cases.... Even Didi was 10 times more mobile than a centre half and he was unique in his chain smoking/fortune teller mix.Plus being good with the ball at CB vs being decent with the ball in midfield is a world apart because in midfield you're given very little space and are constantly harassed. Unless you're very mobile. Even when a defender is being harried by a striker he nearly always has his partner or the keeper to pass to. A DM has to contribute to a pattern of play unless you have someone who can dribble the ball out of midfield that they can pass to which we don't (and was our priority this summer).

So please don't keep asking/suggesting whether Agger/Sakho/Ilori/Toure can cover at DM cause they can't *except for 5 mins or so in an emergency.

Vincent Kompany started off his Man City career in midfield.

I mentioned this in the Sakho thread. I think it actually makes sense to give start centre backs as holding midfielders in order for them to adjust to the Premiership.

Most young centre backs will play as a holding midfielder at some point in their youth, in order to improve their distribution. Andre Wisdom was doing it a few years back.

Not trying to be a twat, but could Sakho possibly play that position if needed? Do any of you think he has the skill and speed to pull it off? I've never seen him play before that's why I'm asking.

(I did suggest Agger as DM a few years back and admit that was probably not a good idea, even though he's one of my favourite players.)

Skrtel started off as a striker. Not sure when he switched to the back or why. But he would have had to have been pretty mobile to have started in the front line.

I see more defenders now, especially with the speed of English football today, who are pretty mobile. I see nothing wrong with CBs who can cover the middle - and it has been done.

Not trying to be a twat, but could Sakho possibly play that position if needed? Do any of you think he has the skill and speed to pull it off? I've never seen him play before that's why I'm asking.

(I did suggest Agger as DM a few years back and admit that was probably not a good idea, even though he's one of my favourite players.)

So Sakho has just stepped off a plane. New country, new language, new league, new team, new system. Probably still needs a map to get out of Anfield and you want to stick him in midfield in the most combative and fast paced league ON THE PLANET. If you don't want him her just fucking say because doing that is the quickest way to force him out the door!

So Sakho has just stepped off a plane. New country, new language, new league, new team, new system. Probably still needs a map to get out of Anfield and you want to stick him in midfield in the most combative and fast paced league ON THE PLANET. If you don't want him her just fucking say because doing that is the quickest way to force him out the door!

I didn't mean anything like that (just sticking him there from the off), was just wondering if anyone here thought he had the ability to play in that position, because I have no clue about him as a footballer yet.

Am looking forward to the idea of him playing alongside Agger hopefully, not playing in DM.