You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Well, that one season - a purple patch - with Villa, not the entirety of it. I'm glad that the manager is getting rid of that type of player and bringing in his own. I hope he can bring in more now he's gone.

Good Riddance.

Terrible Signing which was made worse by the fact we overpaid by about 15Million for him.

Took Rodgers to drop him for him to actually "attempt" to fight for his place.

Kenny backed him to the hilt and he repayed him with fuck all effort.

Happy to see it. Hope we've got someone lined up and not the same slapstick approach to replacing players as last summer.

Downing did replicate his Villa form, and that'll be good enough for West Ham also. Never in a million years going to be good enough for a side like Liverpool.

Big Sam's alright in my book these days.

I think he did replicate his Villa form with us. He was average there too. Predictably terrible transfer.

That'll be why he won Villa player of the season the year we signed him.

Hopefully Big Sam will succeed with Downing and Carroll where we failed. Actually having them on the field at the same time will undoubtedly help

That'll be why he won Villa player of the season the year we signed him.

Hopefully Big Sam will succeed with Downing and Carroll where we failed. Actually having them on the field at the same time will undoubtedly help

You might have a point here if Carroll wasn't an absolute donkey who would run stand outside the box when Gerrard used to be in crossing positions.

Still can't believe we got ~£19m for him.

Yeah it's awesome when players get sold.

Especially when you can just rely on a 17 year old Ibe instead, because that worked last year.

Except Ibe looks like he actually has a sack and will at least try and take players on.

The only reason I would have kept Downing around is to cover LB (providing we didn't get one in) I'd rather anyone else start ahead of him in an attacking position.