You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

If i recall, he had similar stats under Kenny. The problem lies in what's designated a chance.

Technically a shot is a chance, so players who get to advanced positions and pass the buck will have cracking stats. The issue is half of those so called chances were Gerrard and co receiving the ball in poor areas, seeing no forward movement and trying their luck from range.

Squawka Football ‏@Squawka 5h

Stewart Downing created the most chances during the second half of last season (49) for Liverpool, more than S.Gerrard (43) & L.Suarez (39).

WhoScored.com ‏@WhoScored 4h

Stewart Downing: Since joining, Liverpool have won 43.4% of their PL games with Downing starting, compared to 30.4% without him

Well, it looks like all the Downing haters have been totally wrong about him. He was THE man.

He's not a mediocre player he's a very decent player if you want him to do very specific things. If one of those things is create good supply to a forward that has good movement in the box then he'll be worth whatever you pay him. He's perfect for Allardyce and it's a very shrewd bit of business from him.

He's got no aggression and I want him sold but he has his uses. Being the best player at a mid-table club isn't average.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I personally think that's exactly what he is, Stu. When judged as a footballer on the whole, he's bang average. Not terribly shit at much, but not particularly good at much. He's a decent crosser but that's cancelled out by his inability to regularly beat the fullback. For Villa in the season before we got him he was above average, for us he has been below average. Evens out to a totally average player.

If all he's required to do is cross to the big man in the middle, assuming the big man can keep up with play, then he'll probably do okay. Still just stinks of averageness, though. I'd also contest that he'd be the best player at the club. Actually, I wouldn't say he's even the best winger at West Ham.

Allerdyce is setting them up to be effective, though. I'll give him that. Same as his other teams, on the whole.

Stewart Downing created the most chances during the second half of last season (49) for Liverpool, more than S.Gerrard (43) & L.Suarez (39).

Stewart Downing: Since joining, Liverpool have won 43.4% of their PL games with Downing starting, compared to 30.4% without him

Excuse me, you can't bring facts to a witch-hunt, that's just bad manners.

Next you'll be pointing out that Downing was Man of the Match on the only occasion that we've won silverware in the past 7 years!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Excuse me, you can't bring facts to a witch-hunt, that's just bad manners.

Of course you can. Unfortunately, those facts don't really mean much when they're out of context. What were the quality of these chances? So if you, or Code, are going to use them as some sort of proof that he's not been as bad as some say, it's probably best to bring some that actually show that, because those don't.

If we're just ripping contextless stats out of thin air, here's some more facts about Downing and his time here.

Cost: £20m

PL Games: 65

PL Goals: 3

Thank you, Moneyball.

It wasn't moneyball advocating signing 28 year olds for £20m. I think it was Kenny who advocated signing Downing. Moneyball would have fucked that off out the window.

It wasn't moneyball advocating signing 28 year olds for £20m. I think it was Kenny who advocated signing Downing. Moneyball would have fucked that off out the window.

hahaha you deluded idiot, you think Kenny overruled moneyball and Comolli.

Tell us more about moneyball. Tell us more about Comolli signing David Bentley for 20m

What is the point of you when you have no regard for reality?

Fast forward to the bit where you say Hicks and Gillett are just an excuse.

Proof, not that any was needed, that stats are completely meaningless.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Oh dear. Angry little man is back, talking about reality as if he understands it. Anybody who thinks Downing wasn't Kenny's signing is wrong in the head.

Oh dear. Angry little man is back, talking about reality as if he understands it. Anybody who thinks Downing wasn't Kenny's signing is wrong in the head.

No, come on, tell us more about moneyball, who recommended Comolli, Comolli's track record as a director of football.

It's not hard to grasp unless you've backed yourself into a corner. Why do that to yourself, Hank?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, come on, tell us more

You, you mean?

As I said, anybody who thinks Downing wasn't Kenny's signing needs help.

Reality -

On the signing of Stewart Downing, Comolli stated:

“We look thoroughly into data before signing players, as well as statistics, and we really think we are getting a big, big asset throughout. Maybe his talent has been undervalued in English football. We know what we will get and we are getting a very efficient player.”