You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

One of “Kenny’s Clangers”, bought for too much money on too high a wage.

In theory he was a good shout, PL experienced, and a good passer of the ball with International and EL experience. He was top six material for Villa, and so he should have been with us.

In practice neither Kenny nor Rodgers were able to play to his strengths. He was never a CL/Top Four grade player, why he never showed the form he did at Villa ( and Boro) remains a mystery.

Hr should be a Rodgers player, a team man, and his release suggests that his heart is not in it. I suspect he will do relatively well at West Ham linking up with Carroll.

But, on balance, it is probably best for all concerned that this mistake is off the books.

Not at any stage in my book.

Never wanted him, glad he's gone.

are they buying any replacement?

£0 net spent will be -something withn this move completes. FSG has actually made a profit so far.

Apart from they're not you absolute moron. There is morning to running a club that transfers. You simpleminded repetitive imbecile.

Moneyball is about signing players undervalued by the market to compete on a budget, what we did under Comolli was the complete opposite of that, we looked at players in their a career-best run of form, with their fees at an all-time high, and then signed them for ridiculous money. I'm still half-convinced Comolli was actively working to destroy the club, while Kenny's idea to abandon the formula which worked so well in his first 6 months (fluid interplay between the likes of Suarez, Meireles, Maxi and Kuyt) to sign a load of Premier League cloggers to pump the ball into the box for Andy fucking Carroll was a disaster which has and will set us back years, if not decades.

Moneyball is about signing players undervalued by the market to compete on a budget, what we did under Comolli was the complete opposite of that, we looked at players in their a career-best run of form, with their fees at an all-time high, and then signed them for ridiculous money. I'm still half-convinced Comolli was actively working to destroy the club, while Kenny's idea to abandon the formula which worked so well in his first 6 months (fluid interplay between the likes of Suarez, Meireles, Maxi and Kuyt) to sign a load of Premier League cloggers to pump the ball into the box for Andy fucking Carroll was a disaster which has and will set us back years, if not decades.

Spot fucking on.

Who signed Carroll? Newly appointed Director of Football and advocate of soccernomics Comolli or newly appointed caretaker manager Dalglish?

The last time the supporters' voice was truly heard was when FSG replaced Hodgson with Dalglish. What followed was 5 months of mostly very good form on the pitch. Then 'business' got in the way but you think it was Dalglish's 'idea' to abandon the winning formula.

Madness.

Yeeeesss, I get to repeat myself cos Sexrex is a troll.

What do you base this on? That FSG were reluctant to appoint Dalglish? That they didn't believe he was the long term fit?

Dalglish really trumped soccernomics in their eyes?

Reality -

On the signing of Stewart Downing, Comolli stated:

“We look thoroughly into data before signing players, as well as statistics, and we really think we are getting a big, big asset throughout. Maybe his talent has been undervalued in English football. We know what we will get and we are getting a very efficient player.”

Comolli was FSG's first appointment recommended to them by a baseball GM who created moneyball.

Tell us more about moneyball. Tell us more about Comolli signing David Bentley for 20m. Soccernomics Sexrex, baby.

A classic bewildered and confused Coro post.

What makes you think that FSG were reluctant to appoint KK? They did so pretty promptly.

“Soccernomics”? I assume this is your unique take on football?

If you would like to know more about Moneyball, I suggest you read up on it.

What don’t you know about Bentley’s signing for Spurs?

I hope you feel better soon..............:P.

A classic bewildered and confused Coro post.

What makes you think that FSG were reluctant to appoint KK? They did so pretty promptly.

Sexrex in unable to respond shocker

"I had been talking with Kenny about his philosophy and initially he was brought aboard just for the remainder of last season," Henry told The Guardian.

"Initially our blueprint was for a younger manager, because you want to have long-term stability in as much of the staff as possible.

Soccernomics is 'moneyball' translated to football.

Shut up.

Who signed Carroll? Newly appointed Director of Football and advocate of soccernomics Comolli or newly appointed caretaker manager Dalglish?

The last time the supporters' voice was truly heard was when FSG replaced Hodgson with Dalglish. What followed was 5 months of mostly very good form on the pitch. Then 'business' got in the way but you think it was Dalglish's 'idea' to abandon the winning formula.

Madness.

Dalglish may not have been responsible for the signing of Carroll as caretaker manager but I'm pretty sure he had a big say on the direction the team took the following summer, after being handed the job full-time. Certainly it was his idea on the opening day of that season to drop Meireles, Kuyt and Maxi, while handing starts to Enrique, Downing, Carroll, Adam and Henderson (playing wide right). It seemed pretty clear to me that summer that we had made the decision to build the team around Andy Carroll rather than Luis Suarez and I can't possibly imagine Kenny didn't have a big say in that.

Ah, so Carroll was a soccernomics purchase forced through by Commolli while KK was on the golf course? No wonder you're always so angry Coro, watching from the sidelines as these ridiculous decisions are made by fraudulent chancers and people who have no background in football.

Grrrr.

Dalglish may not have been responsible for the signing of Carroll as caretaker manager but I'm pretty sure he had a big say on the direction the team took the following summer, after being handed the job full-time. Certainly it was his idea on the opening day of that season to drop Meireles, Kuyt and Maxi, while handing starts to Enrique, Downing, Carroll, Adam and Henderson (playing wide right). It seemed pretty clear to me that summer that we had made the decision to build the team around Andy Carroll rather than Luis Suarez and I can't possibly imagine Kenny didn't have a big say in that.

You give too much credit to Dalglish's role. We haven't had a manager since the parasites leveraged the club in 2007.

Neither Meireles, Kuyt or Maxi had a future at the club. When business kicks in, there's not a lot the head coach can do but adapt as best as possible.

See the job Rodgers is trying to do, now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
and you still fell for it!

Erm, no. I'm happy to give that opinion on the two events, regardless of how you see it in your head. I'm sure you're uncomfortable with the self-induced cognitive dissonance, but I'm capable of having two different, distinct thoughts in my head at one time.

Paying £2.4m for a player who's worth £5m+ isn't something I'd need to cover for. If anything, I'd praise Rodgers for Assaidi's signing. Alas, I have to go with what I actually think, rather than some agenda-distorted half-truth, which is that I don't believe he had a fucking clue who he was before being told about him when he came to the club.

Unlike you with Downing - the very model of a moneyball signing, apparently - I might be wrong: he might be a 100% Rodgers signing. Which is why I'm not stating it as a fact, just a suspicion. I'd be surprised, because he's never started him in the league or in any important match. If anything, he has done his best to ignore him and shift him out at the first chance he could. Still, I guess he could have desperately wanted him.

anyone who thinks Rodgers signed Assaidi is obviously not right in the head

difficult to type with these tears in my eyes.

Oh you are funny. The difference is, even if my 'suspicion' that it wasn't a deal based on Rodgers knowledge of the player, but a deal spear-headed by Ian Ayre (who went to see Assaidi in Holland before the player ever even spoke to the manager), I'm still willing to accept the possibility that he was somebody who Rodgers wants. Either way, the manager would have had some say in the deal. He's responsible for anybody who comes in that he's signed off on.

You, on the other hand, would do and say almost anything to divert blame from Dalglish - who bought nobody, had no hand in anything, and has no responsibility for any of the on the field matters - and put it onto FSG or Ayre or, frankly, anybody other than Kenny. That's fair enough, but when you try to lecture people on 'reality', it doesn't half moisten the eye. If you think you're the only one laughing, rather than being laughed at, you're even more loopy than I thought.

You're the most unobjective, reality-devoid poster on the forum. Bar none. Not even Code. Which wouldn't bother me in the slightest if you didn't pretend you were in a position to judge people. You're not, of course. You're just a bit of a clown who gets angry when anybody dare mention Kenny's role as manager might entail a bit of responsibly. You believe your opinion is fact, just because it was you who uttered it. That's humour, but it isn't 'reality'.

As I said, and this'll be my last response about who wanted Downing, anybody who thinks Downing wasn't a Kenny signing (as Brownie said when he was the first to break the Downing information, 'Kenny told Comolli to concentrate on getting Downing'), you're mental. I don't doubt the fee was negotiated by Comolli, but the player was clearly a Dalglish signing, as the man himself said.