You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Ah, so they're both absentee owners and masters of every decision. All decisions are their fault, including not being around to make decisions. It almost makes you wonder why Dalglish went out of his way to praise their integrity. That corporate shill, eh?

God, everybody else other than Coro is so easily led. Well, when it's not in the direction of his own bias, that is.

What is it that you think you can see that nobody else can?

He's the arbiter of truth, the judge of mere mortals, the superfan who casts his reality upon others. Coro knows all. Follow him. Follow, I say. He's the ultimate authority and the only one who can make decisions with clarity. Everybody is in the haze of PR bullshit created by FSG. You're all suckers.

Now, where's my foil hat.

Who signed Carroll? Newly appointed Director of Football and advocate of soccernomics Comolli or newly appointed caretaker manager Dalglish?

The last time the supporters' voice was truly heard was when FSG replaced Hodgson with Dalglish. What followed was 5 months of mostly very good form on the pitch. Then 'business' got in the way but you think it was Dalglish's 'idea' to abandon the winning formula.

Who signed Carroll? Comolli did the deal, but there was never any question that KK would accept anyone who he himself did not want. To suggest otherwise is an affront to the man’s integrity. No-one was signed without his agreement.

It is also an affront to the intelligence of a distinguished manager to suggest that he did not understand the impact that spending fees and wages on one player had on his ability to secure alternatives.

I agree that Hodgson’s dismissal was driven in part by the fans. KK’s appointment was a success, but it was not an uncontested choice, there were alternatives. There is no question that KK should have stepped aside, bathed in success and thanks at the end of that half season. What subsequently bit was his ring-rustiness and poor knowledge of the contemporary transfer market. We continue to pay the price of his profligacy and poor judgement in his transfer dealings.

Neither Meireles, Kuyt or Maxi had a future at the club. When business kicks in, there's not a lot the head coach can do but adapt as best as possible.

See the job Rodgers is trying to do, now.

You mean business in general, or owners? I'm struggling to think of a manager that doesn't operate with these constraints Coro. Man City's new man perhaps. Moyes? Doubt it. But thanks for the insight.

Who signed Carroll? Comolli did the deal, but there was never any question that KK would accept anyone who he himself did not want. To suggest otherwise is an affront to the man’s integrity. No-one was signed without his agreement.

It is also an affront to the intelligence of a distinguished manager to suggest that he did not understand the impact that spending fees and wages on one player had on his ability to secure alternatives.

I agree that Hodgson’s dismissal was driven in part by the fans. KK’s appointment was a success, but it was not an uncontested choice, there were alternatives. There is no question that KK should have stepped aside, bathed in success and thanks at the end of that half season. What subsequently bit was his ring-rustiness and poor knowledge of the contemporary transfer market. We continue to pay the price of his profligacy and poor judgement in his transfer dealings.

Coro is plugged in to a matrix hastily constructed by Tommy Walsh while Coro was out at an SoS meeting.

Sexrex in unable to respond shocker.Soccernomics is 'moneyball' translated to football.Shut up.

I have responded in full. However I have no intention of making good the significant shortfalls in your education.

"Soccernomics is 'moneyball' translated to football" - so how does that work?

Or perhaps it doesn't;)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

FSG: We want young up and coming players who are cheap and we can sell at a profit down the line.

What happened: Purchased an aging winger for £20m and lost loads of money on him.

Classic moneyball.

FSG: We want young up and coming players who are cheap and we can sell at a profit down the line.

What happened: Purchased an aging winger for £20m and lost loads of money on him.

Classic moneyball.

why are you bothering NV? It's hardly a point that needs to be made, not even to Coro, you would think. He's obviously had a bad day on the market stall.

You, on the other hand, would do and say almost anything to divert blame from Dalglish - who bought nobody, had no hand in anything, and has no responsibility for any of the on the field matters - and put it onto FSG or Ayre or, frankly, anybody other than Kenny. That's fair enough, but when you try to lecture people on 'reality', it doesn't half moisten the eye. If you think you're the only one laughing, rather than being laughed at, you're even more loopy than I thought.

You're the most unobjective, reality-devoid poster on the forum. Bar none. Not even Code. Which wouldn't bother me in the slightest if you didn't pretend you were in a position to judge people. You're not, of course. You're just a bit of a clown who gets angry when anybody dare mention Kenny's role as manager might entail a bit of responsibly. You believe your opinion is fact, just because it was you who uttered it. That's humour, but it isn't 'reality'.

Wahey, back to misrepresenting other people's opinions. This is your default, it's all you know. You're this and you're that in a whiny voice does nothing for your 'argument'. The facts will always remain, unfortunately for you.

You're cocksure that Downing was a Dalglish signing, despite all the realities pointed out to you and these are not things I'm making up in my head. Comolli was appointed director of football by FSG after recommendation by Billy Beane, creator of moneyball, a system used by Comolli. Huge indicators telling us there's far more to it then your scapegoating would have us believe.

I'll add colour when I think someone is being unfairly blamed, doesn't matter if it's Dalglish, Benitez or Rodgers. Dalglish was playing a diminished role. Even the younger, preferred choice is limited in his role but pointing this out really upsets the bullshit narrative you've got going on.

There's big, flashing indicators saying that this is all pretty complicated with moneyball the overriding factor.

Then you dip into the irony bucket about diverting blame, you, FSG, up a tree, talking about reality. Such context you add to the Assaidi signing yet it disappears when talking about who signed Downing. Some bloke on a forum said ...

You're the angry man, now. Oh, no I'm not, you are

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You're cocksure that Downing was a Dalglish signing, despite all the realities pointed out to you and these are not things I'm making up in my head.

Just spoke to somebody who knows for a fact it was Kenny who wanted him. Comolli wanted Young. I'm happy with that. Your reality is of little concern to me.

What is it that you think you can see that nobody else can?

Just basic stuff.

Doesn't make me special to acknowledge the context of things.

You, Stringy, Numero, Sexrex, you're all on the special bus.

Form a group and take heart, take comfort.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
why are you bothering NV? It's hardly a point that needs to be made, not even to Coro, you would think. He's obviously had a bad day on the market stall.

Finkissfun, zall.

Just spoke to somebody who knows for a fact it was Kenny who wanted him. Comolli wanted Young. I'm happy with that. Your reality is of little concern to me.

hahaha that's beautiful.

Stringy is proper rattled here, isn't he.

Someone reassure the old cunt. It's OK, Hodgson was just a dream.

In Kenny's first 6 months in charge, Suarez thrived playing alongside Kuyt, Maxi and Meireles, and Carroll was shit. That summer we signed the left back Carroll had played with at Newcastle, a winger from the North East with the most crosses in the league, another young lad from the North East with good chance creation and crossing accuracy stats (and Henderson was clearly bought to play wide right here) and a set piece maestro (haha!) whose corners were apparently worth £10m alone. When the season began all of those players were in the team, while Kuyt, Maxi and Meireles were out of it (Meireles was then sold, Kuyt relegated to a fringe role and Maxi could hardly get a kick all season). Even Suarez found himself dragged off in the opening game as we were chasing the win and benched for he 2nd one, while Carroll played 90 minutes in both.

I'm not sure how much clearer it could have been that the decision was made that summer to try and build the team around Carroll and I'd be absolutely fucking astonished if Kenny didn't have a huge say in that. I still often wonder what could have been if we actually tried building on our excellent end of season form, rather than ripping it up and looking towards a 4-4-2 of shit, overpriced British players, signed at great expense in its place.

So to mention Dalglish's role at that time is an affront to the man's integrity but your snide, poorly informed drivel in regards to him is perfectly acceptable?

Sexrex, everyone.

One of “Kenny’s Clangers”, bought for too much money on too high a wage.

In theory he was a good shout, PL experienced, and a good passer of the ball with International and EL experience. He was top six material for Villa, and so he should have been with us.

In practice neither Kenny nor Rodgers were able to play to his strengths. He was never a CL/Top Four grade player, why he never showed the form he did at Villa ( and Boro) remains a mystery.

Hr should be a Rodgers player, a team man, and his release suggests that his heart is not in it. I suspect he will do relatively well at West Ham linking up with Carroll.

But, on balance, it is probably best for all concerned that this mistake is off the books.

Well said and that should about conclude this matter regarding Downing. Good luck to him.

Time now for Rodgers to look to sale his boy Borini to raise more money for better players. What do you say?

It's nice to see no-one bothering with the Narcissist anymore. Keep up the good work, folks. Even when he starts quoting you directly.

What if I said I love Rafa?

Some cages are rattled here.

You had your 'ART' bollocks, I'm having KOB.

You're a full on, stayaway KOB.