You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Places you will not be visiting again

Champ

No place does disappointment better than the U.S

Oceanside, Southern California for example sounds lovely, its no better than Eastbourne. I've found that the names often sound great but the reality is that they are usually shit holes, Hollywood being a classic example.

Haha....had a mate who was with a girl from there. He said it was fucking nuts' date=' like the Old Wild West but with semi-automatics. She took him to 'her local' and there were bullet holes in the place. Everyone looked shady.

Funny thing though-- she survived Juarez but he almost killed her with an ice auger in an ice fishing mishap.

Sosua, Dominican Republic is one place I'd never go back. Also remember the Puerto Plata airport and basically had to handcuff your luggage to yourself or you'd get someone demanding 'five US dollar' to carry it 20m for you.[/quote']

I went for a day in 2006. Was in El Paso and some gobby guy on the train told me I shouldn't, but what the hell he was fat and I want to check out the bootleg goods on offer.

Fucking hell! There was at least 3 cracks of gunfire while I was there, not that far away either.

The place was a shithole and I clearly was a fucking target for anyone with less than a pot to piss in. Which was pretty much anyone.

I dread to think how cheap a life was. I quickly realised it was a big mistake and to be honest I think some must have left me alone on the basis that I was clearly a crank with a screw loose to even consider it.

So after a few hours scanning the market, shops and local offer I slipped back into the US. I think the scared and haunted expression and naivety help expedite my trip through customs too. I was too frightened to buy anything, I just wanted to make sure I got back.

Playa Del Ingles in Gran Canaria, unbelievably seedy hellhole. Was staying in Puerto Rico and went there for a night out, just full of twats. Moroccan and Eastern European shadesters everywhere trying to have you off or blag you into a strip club, cockney twat DJs and just general shitness. When you get back from somewhere and have to take a breath and compose yourself, you know it's not the best.

There is only one place that has left me with recurring, post "Aliens" style nightmares, and that, my friends, is Middlesbrough *shudders*

Abroad, i would say the only place that i have been that i truly despised (but not as much as Middlesbrough) is Zante, Greece.

Basildon is a distant third.

Marmaris. I went on a Gulet cruise a few years ago, we were collected and dropped off there.

On arrival we saw nothing of the place. When dropped off we had a 15 hour wait for the flight do we're given a complementary hotel.

Fucking hell what a shit hole. Dirty, polluted, full of chavs, how I imagine shit resorts in Spain circa 1983. 99p breakfasts (full english and full scottish) Rangers and Celtic bars, Trotters Bar and best of all a Chuckle Brothers Bar. Basically it was an anti holiday,

Next you're going to tell us Cali and Medellin are lovely places I suppose?

Was in Cali and Medellin in the late 90s

Cali was lovely and had interesting times there including an earthquake

Got into Medellin about 4 am and i was prevented from leaving the bus station by an armed guard on the grounds that it was too dangerous to move around the city at night.

It was pretty dangerous in the daytime as well so i decided to get out sharpish before something bad happened

Gloucester's another one. We had booked an overnight stay on our way to Devon and decided to go into Gloucester looking for somewhere to eat. I'd never been before but always pictured it as a quaint English town. Instead, that evening at least, it had the air of somewhere washed up by the tide.

I tell you how bad it was, we ended up back at the hotel and eating at their Brewers Fayre place. Grim

Where in Gloucester were you?

Large parts of it are an absolute shithole. Bail hostel capital of the South West.

Italy.

I'd say the USA but my brother and mum live there.

Whoah. Italy. Just like that? Italy as a whole? My favourite foreign country so far based on about 6 trips to different parts.

Wasn't keen on Rome, so could understand that being thrown ours there, but fucking hell, most of Italy is fabulous.

Tuscany is incredible.

Cairo. Even without the political shit. Smells like stale piss, everyone has a relative who was best mates with someone from wherever you come from in II who purely coincidentally sells perfume/carpet/young boys come with me, my friend.

The sphinx is the most underwhelming tourist scam ever and the local peasantry have been nicking bits of the pyramids to build houses for millennia.

North Wales slate mining towns on a wet winter Sunday afternoon.

Don't want to go to Johannesburg or anywhere else in Africa which were formerly white colonies and most of northern Mexico for reasons other posters have menyioned.

The United States. I've watched "Cops"

Ciudad Del Este in Paraguay. Went to Iguassu Falls in Brazil and this place was about 15 miles away. My mate basically just wanted to go to get a stamp on his passport, our tour guide was also a local homicide detective who did the job to supplement his income as his English was very good.

Drove up there in a van and went past these gated houses, two had armed guards walking round on the roof with machine guns almost as big as them. Got to the main market and was offered a desert eagle with 10 magazines for 150 dollars, a samurai sword and gold plated dagger. I told the guy I would never get them back over the border but he said "you will here". Got into a haggling argument over buying footy tops so just gave the guy what we wanted, always felt on edge and couldn't wait to get back over the "friendship bridge" to Brazil. Walked through the border with no checks but as my mate wanted his passport stamped we went into the border office, some big fat fella in a military outfit shouted at us "wharra you waannt?". Stamped our passport then sat down and carried on smoking his cigar.

Tenerife - playa das Americas. Basically everything that section said about his holiday to Gran Canaria, ten lads to every bird, places smelt of stale beer and your feet would regularly stick to the floor, beach was a dump and went into a bar where tons of cockroaches crawled on our table. Everyone there just seemed to want to outdo each other by being noisy, pissed and acting like cunts. Shagged some fat bird from Warrington on the Bach and black sand got everywhere.

Where in Gloucester were you?

Large parts of it are an absolute shithole. Bail hostel capital of the South West.

You mean there is a good bit?

God knows. All I can remember is parking the car beside some ruined old building, a relic of better days gone by, and then wandering around some miserable deserted pedestrianised area a couple of times, having a conversation about Fred West, before giving up.

Bath was a great relief the following day.

To this day we wonder what we would have found if we had made the alternative choice and gone to Cheltenham

Calagary, place is empty on the weekends because all the oil rich dicks are skiing in the Rockies. This is followed up by the fact the Youth hostel there is right next to Alberta's homeless drop in centre. So the entire time I was there was spent avoiding/running away from crazies. This was compounded by a particularly shite night I had out with my mates friends which seemed to involve a lot of being driven around, being told we were shit drinkers "cos the Scots are meant to down every pint" and then being taken to some barbeque where everyone was some republican/tory nob.

Also the hostel was mince and really crowded.

The Rockies on the other hand were ace, so perhaps Calgary serves as some kind of pish purgatory before the good stuff.

Calagary, place is empty on the weekends because all the oil rich dicks are skiing in the Rockies. This is followed up by the fact the Youth hostel there is right next to Alberta's homeless drop in centre. So the entire time I was there was spent avoiding/running away from crazies. This was compounded by a particularly shite night I had out with my mates friends which seemed to involve a lot of being driven around, being told we were shit drinkers "cos the Scots are meant to down every pint" and then being taken to some barbeque where everyone was some republican/tory nob.

Also the hostel was mince and really crowded.

The Rockies on the other hand were ace, so perhaps Calgary serves as some kind of pish purgatory before the good stuff.

Calgary is a bit of a cultural wasteland, and the downtown is deserted at night/weekends, but again I think most Canadian cities are better places to live than to visit.

We're not trying to impress anyone here.

Best cities to visit in Canada are all east - Montreal, Toronto, Halifax...

"Best cities to visit in Canada are all east - Montreal, Toronto, Halifax..."

Yup Montreal and Toronto were ace, I’d love to go back there at some point.

"Mind you, going to Calgary during the stampede is an experience, and you can't fail to score."

I’ve also heard this though on the two occasions (once as a kid, when I wasn’t aware of the lack of nightlife and inebriated individuals roaming the streets) I’ve been I’ve missed it by a couple of weeks.

Wigan - should have been shut down after Northern soul.

Bolton - I don't understand what it exists for.

Newcastle - You might as well just keep going until you get to Edinburgh, it's that far.

Tulsa, Oklahoma - churches and gun stores, on every corner. You'd think shaped like a meat cleaver it would have a bit about it, yet it's as dull as a rock.