You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Places you will not be visiting again

Champ

We went over to South Ayrshire on Saturday to do a cycle from Dave Barter's Great British Bike rides. While the cycling was good on a hot sunny day the towns and villages we passed through were, almost without exception, some of the most miserable, places I've ever seen, as if all life had been sucked out of them. And that was on a sunny day. Its not an area I'd really been to before but the contrast between the fantastic scenery and the apparent poverty of the area was really striking. I'll not be in any rush to go back.

There was no real incident but it got me thinking about other places people have been to and wont be returning to in a hurry, either because of the place itself or what happened while you were there......

TAAFMF. Won't be returning there anytime soon.

Madrid. Not for me.

Whatever area of Glasgow the Barrowlands is in.

Rhyl

Hey, I was looking for stories of shit holidays, trips, that kind of thing!

India. Seen all I wanted to see while I was there, plane was delayed a day going out and flight cancelled on the way home, ended up having to stop over in Turkey. Harassed constantly for 2 weeks to the point where I shoved 2 knobheads to the floor. Nearly got twatted by a bull in Agra. Spewed up non stop for 2 days and there's only so many temples you can look at in a day or uncles carpet shops you can get driven to on the sly by bell end taxi drivers. Delhi and Agra are shitholes and someone somewhere was always burning things when I was there.

Had lunch at the Lake Palace in Udaipur on a hazy sunny day which was absolutely lovely but wouldn't make a special effort to go back there again. Plus the trains are genius until you get off at the stations and all the pushy bastards want to carry your luggage without even asking you.

How come?

My son was there a couple of months ago and didn't have a great time...but that was to do with the people he went with

Two things stood out.

The amount of Americans, and especially obnoxious, first time ever away from home, teenage/young 20s, Americans. Invading every fucking bar having half a shandy and then shouting and laughing hysterically. The locals, and infact other Brits, Germans, everyone else basically, were forced to stop whatever conversation they were having.

I also felt a slight tinge of "We're the capital neh neh na neh neh" arrogance. Infact everywhere else we went in Spain, especially San Sebastian and Barcelona, fucking hate Madrid. Which I did expect to some degree.

I just much preferred the North. I could happily move to San Sebastian, or more rural Basque Country. Utterly beautiful.

Rhyl

This. Went to Prestatyn on a caravan holiday about 20 years ago, and quite honesty if it wasn't for the caravan parks, the areas of Prestatyn and Rhyl would surely have tumbleweed blowing through them by now, and the place would resemble something out of a George A Romero movie.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Amsterdam...

Yes i am English...

Yes i like a beer...

No i do not want to buy your drugs!

Ibiza the same!

Non stop harrasment....

The amount of Americans, and especially obnoxious, first time ever away from home, teenage/young 20s, Americans. Invading every fucking bar having half a shandy and then shouting and laughing hysterically. The locals, and infact other Brits, Germans, everyone else basically, were forced to stop whatever conversation they were having.

This is not unique to big European cities. Living in China there are an unfortunately large amount of Americans who ruin the name of their countrymen by acting with a total lack of humility. Immediately identifiable in most social situations and generally an absolute pain in the arse.

Met a few decent ones, though.

This is not unique to big European cities. Living in China there are an unfortunately large amount of Americans who ruin the name of their countrymen by acting with a total lack of humility. Immediately identifiable in most social situations and generally an absolute pain in the arse.

Met a few decent ones, though.

Yeah, in fairness, I did as well. Tended to all be late 20s at the youngest.

Not sure why Madrid was so different to Barcelona in this respect.