You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

I simply don't have faith in Liverpool as a club to do anything right anymore on the football side of things. The owners take advice from men of dubious talent, Rodgers takes transfer advice from a committee of dubious talent, the players take advice from a manager of dubious talent, and the games are played by (on the whole) players of dubious talent and fight.

It's all one big mess, and it becomes more and more apparent that our recent "success" (a league cup, a league cup semi, an FA Cup final and semi, and that glorious, almost mythical second-place finish) is more a consequence of happenstance and flukery than any basic competence in the club. 

• Upvote 3

The disinterest is likely to be mutual. How do you sell the club to a manager that wants to compete in the champions league? I doubt Klopp or Ancelotti would touch us with a bargepole.

Agree with that. Think Ancelotti won't touch us. Klopp would though but we don't want him.

in summary, we're fucked unless we throw a huge wad of cash to someone like Diego Simeone (just using him as an example) to leave their current club to come to us.

Alright gents,this wont go down well.

I think we should keep Rodgers.

I share a season ticket and I see how bad it is.

We should keep him till the summer. At least.

There is a cancer at Liverpool and its killing us. Sack Souness/Evans/Houllier/Benitez rather than look the problem in the eye. This runs very deep and despite mistakes, it is not Rodgers fault.

Sacking one man is easier than admitting we are terminally dysfunctional.

There you go, I'm pissed and depressed about Liverpool.

• Downvote 1

There is a cancer at Liverpool and its killing us. Sack Souness/Evans/Houllier/Benitez rather than look the problem in the eye. This runs very deep and despite mistakes, it is not Rodgers fault.

A bit like saying theres no need to treat the aids as the cancer will kill you sooner. He needs to go. Now. As for the rest of the club being dysfunctional, not going to change overnight, as with any organisation, the shytsers(valueable long term employees) will be deeply embedded within the foundations of the club.

I think it's both mate. 

That's why it's so, so grim.

If Rodgers is on his way out, to not at least meet/have discussions with Klopp or Ancelotti, if we could get them, is seriously fucking stupid. Seeing journos going on about us not having approached them is really making me suspicious of what the fuck FSG are actually doing at this stage.

If Rodgers is on his way out, to not at least meet/have discussions with Klopp or Ancelotti, if we could get them, is seriously fucking stupid. Seeing journos going on about us not having approached them is really making me suspicious of what the fuck FSG are actually doing at this stage.

Talking to Mazzari obv.

Raphael Honigstein‏@honigstein

Just to clear up a few misleading tweets: Klopp was approached by LFC twice in the past. Not this summer. (As far as I know)

02.29 - sept.18. 2015

Only expected after giving Rodgers £80m to spend. I know it'll end in disappointment but I'm hoping against hope that they'll make another approach at some point...

Brendan Rodgers: I know Liverpool could axe me

Tony Barrett

Last updated at 12:01AM, September 26 2015

Brendan Rodgers insists that he will respect the decision of the Liverpool owners should they opt to replace him as manager, but he has ruled out resigning despite the mounting pressure he is facing.

In a frank assessment of his situation, Rodgers accepted that recent poor results have made his position vulnerable despite retaining confidence in his ability to revive Liverpool and regain the backing of supporters who have turned against him.

Rodgers was also relaxed about Carlo Ancelotti and Jürgen Klopp being linked with the job, even though their availability is likely to make them an even more attractive proposition to Fenway Sports Group (FSG), the club’s owner, should Liverpool fail to defeat Aston Villa at Anfield today.

Tellingly, Rodgers repeated an assertion that he made last season, saying he had proved himself capable of delivering during the previous campaign when he had “the tools” to work with, the clear inference being that he no longer believes he is blessed with the kind of quality needed to make Liverpool title challengers.

“It [people being linked with your job] is something that happens, and it happens through every level, but you can never be too worried about it,” the Liverpool manager said.

“Sixteen months ago we nearly won the league, I was manager of the year, and 16 months later you are not so good at your job when you are actually better at your job.

“I don’t like to go on too much about it, but I think I have shown what I can do when I have the tools to work, what I can deliver. I don’t lose confidence in that. What I will always do is give my best to the club and if they decide they need to change, I totally respect that.

“I know I have given it everything and I would walk away and hopefully walk into another job where I would get a chance to create something special. But my focus is still very much on the now, and the now is making us the best we can be.”

Asked whether he would consider resigning if results fail to improve, Rodgers said that is not even under consideration. “No. No chance, no,” he replied. “My target in my own mind is to get to 1,000 games as a manager, and I know that over the course of that you are looking at the next 20-odd years.”

Having signed 31 players and sold 33 in the three years since he became manager, Rodgers believes that one of the reasons why Liverpool are struggling is that they are “constantly rebuilding”.

“There has been a lot of change and we have lost some big, big players here in terms of both character and quality,” he said. “You have to manage that change and do the best that you can.”

Juergen Klopp 6/4

Carlo Ancelotti 2/1

Frank De Boer 14/1

Garry Monk 16/1

Luciano Spalletti 25/1

Sami Hyypia 25/1

Pako Ayestaran 25/1

Rafa Benitez 33/1

Nigel Pearson 33/1

Ronald Koeman 40/1

Unai Emery 40/1

Bob Bradley 40/1

Andre Villas-Boas 40/1

Rudi Garcia 40/1

Diego Simeone 40/1

Alan Pardew 40/1

Eddie Howe 40/1

Frank Rijkaard 40/1

Juergen Klinsmann 40/1

Laurent Blanc 40/1

Michael Laudrup 40/1

Steven Gerrard 50/1

Pep Guardiola 50/1

Harry Redknapp 50/1

Sam Allardyce 50/1

Guus Hiddink 50/1

Slaven Bilic 50/1

Marcelo Bielsa 50/1

Roberto Di Matteo 50/1

Julen Lopetegui 50/1

Ronny Delia 66/1

Ralf Rangnick 66/1

Roberto Martinez 66/1

Jamie Carragher 66/1

Martin Jol 66/1

Paul Lambert 66/1

Jose Mourinho 66/1

Tony Pulis 66/1

Mark Hughes 66/1

Luis Enrique 66/1

Martin O'Neill 66/1

Neil Lennon 100/1

Vincenzo Montella 100/1

Louis Van Gaal 100/1

Chris Hughton 100/1

Ian Rush 100/1

Owen Coyle 100/1

Robbie Fowler 100/1

Luis Felipe Scolari 100/1

Kenny Dalglish 100/1

Simon Grayson 100/1

David Moyes 100/1

Manuel Pellegrini 100/1

Steve McClaren 100/1

Alan Hansen 200/1

Steve Staunton 200/1

Jamie Redknapp 250/1

Alex Ferguson 500/1

Every match it like groundhog day. Doesn't matter if the opposition if Norwich or Carlisle.

Can't score more than one goal and can't keep a clean sheet.

Keep him to the summer? You must be off you're fucking head.

I'd rather he was gone asap and we had a caretaker manager for the rest of the season if we are going to wait for Ancelotti for example.

He should have been sacked on the same day as the Carlisle match. it's doing no good keeping him in his job for either him, the players or the fans. The players confidence is completely shot and this is all Rodgers doing. Even Coutinho looks like a car crash of a player at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Well that has clarified things.

We need to start a season when Man U and Chelsea have replaced their managers, have no European completion to play in, get knocked out for the domestic cups early on, have the rub of the green on injuries and refereeing decisions, re-sign Suarez, and have Sturridge play a full season for only the second time in his career- and then Brendan can give us a top four finish.

Super.

• Upvote 9

“Sixteen months ago we nearly won the league, I was manager of the year, and 16 months later you are not so good at your job when you are actually better at your job.

You're only as good as your last result, starting to sound a little Hodgson there. 

I don’t like to go on too much about it....

​No, of course you don't. 

Having signed 31 players and sold 33 in the three years since he became manager, Rodgers believes that one of the reasons why Liverpool are struggling is that they are “constantly rebuilding”.

I don't like to go on about it too much but you fucking signed them all. 

“There has been a lot of change and we have lost some big, big players here in terms of both character and quality,” he said. “You have to manage that change and do the best that you can.”

Gerrard didn't have to leave, you not only had enough notice but a shit load of cash to replace Suarez and Sterling and you bought shite. Your best isn't enough, obviously. 

If that's the case for the defence then why is he even being allowed to carry on, the worst part of this is that nobody trusts FSG to hire a decent replacement so it's going to be more of the same. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you sign the right players you're not needing to constantly rebuild are you? We don't fully understand what's going on behind the scenes with how players are signed, but he surely has to accept that he's at fault there to some degree. The other thing is players out of position, changing formations and selections, so that things aren't settled.

I can't help but think that if he'd been more consistent with teams and formations we'd be a lot better now, because at least the players would have a greater understanding of what they're supposed to be doing, and of each other.

• Upvote 1

“I don’t like to go on too much about it, but I think I have shown what I can do when I have the tools to work, what I can deliver. I don’t lose confidence in that. What I will always do is give my best to the club and if they decide they need to change, I totally respect that.

“I know I have given it everything and I would walk away and hopefully walk into another job where I would get a chance to create something special. But my focus is still very much on the now, and the now is making us the best we can be.”

Asked whether he would consider resigning if results fail to improve, Rodgers said that is not even under consideration. “No. No chance, no,” he replied. “My target in my own mind is to get to 1,000 games as a manager, and I know that over the course of that you are looking at the next 20-odd years.”

He's so deep into blue sky thinking world that this reads like a robot having a mental breakdown.

• Upvote 3

He's just after the maximum payoff by the looks of it. It's just a matter of how many dreadful results and performances FSG can stomach before they finally cough up.

Whoever comes in next has to have a track record of building decent sides from scratch, because that's what's needed at the club. There was nothing of this in Rodgers' previous experience. Swansea had been on an strong upward trajectory as a club for 7 years before he took over and they have continued with that progress since he left. There are obviously a fair number of people in that set-up that know what they are doing, something you definitely can't say about Liverpool FC at the moment.

• Upvote 1