You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I reckon we should get at least 65m for Reina' date=' Suarez, Skrtel and Coates.

So we should spend at least that plus FSG's 20m which should be the least they're putting in.

We get an extra 30m for TV money this summer, too.[/quote']

I'm only talking about the relative certainties at this point. If the other players you mention leave, then I would fully expect replacements to come in.

I think we'll finish the summer having spent around £20M net.

I dont want us to just spend money because it is there. So far it seems that Brendan and his team are getting the players in that they want, and that's all that should matter.

The minute we start agitating to spend £30m on another player because we sell a couple of players is when it all goes wrong. Obviously, as Rodgers has said, if we lose a quality first team player then we'll need to replace that player. But it doesnt always follow that you need massive money to accomplish that.

I reckon Skrtel would be daft to stay. Rodgers clearly doesn't rate him. Weird after he didn't sell him to Man City for over 20m.

He couldnt just bowl into the club and flog last season's player of the season for £20m, carnage.

I wanted him sold mind, £20m would be my selling point for any defender, be it Thiago Silva or otherwise, they are replaceable.

He couldnt just bowl into the club and flog last season's player of the season for £20m, carnage.

I wanted him sold mind, £20m would be my selling point for any defender, be it Thiago Silva or otherwise, they are replaceable.

We'll see if we get a top defender this summer if they're so replaceable.

Need to start improving the first 11, which we haven't really done at all.

I'm struggling to see why a lot of people are seemingly very pleased about our summer transfers so far. They all seem like won't significantly improve the starting 11.

Maybe we should watch some games with the new players and then decide. Or is that too radical?

I'm struggling to see why a lot of people are seemingly very pleased about our summer transfers so far. They all seem like won't significantly improve the starting 11.

Quite a few people were saying that about Coutinho a few months ago. Have a bit of faith, the people who are responsible for bringing these players to the club, know a lot more than us. We pay smallish amounts for players & they're not gonna improve us. We get linked with the likes of Mky T for 20 odd million & people say its too much. Whatever the circumstances they're is always someone fuckin moaning. How about reserving judgement until you actually see them in action. Anyway, if anyone of our new players replaces Downing, there's an improvement right there.

Quite a few people were saying that about Coutinho a few months ago. Have a bit of faith, the people who are responsible for bringing these players to the club, know a lot more than us. We pay smallish amounts for players & they're not gonna improve us. We get linked with the likes of Mky T for 20 odd million & people say its too much. Whatever the circumstances they're is always someone fuckin moaning. How about reserving judgement until you actually see them in action. Anyway, if anyone of our new players replaces Downing, there's an improvement right there.

Coutinho had played plenty of games in Serie A, La Liga and Champions League. None of these players bar Toure have played at that level.

Coutinho had played plenty of games in Serie A, La Liga and Champions League. None of these players bar Toure have played at that level.

The lad is right though. Why don't you wait until you have seen these lads play before you pass judgement? Just because they aren't all 'FM wonderkid' jizzfest signings it doesn't mean they wont improve our squad. For all we know, we may well have just signed a few hidden gems.

Need to start improving the first 11, which we haven't really done at all.

And how do you know that for sure? Just because they aren't well known super star footballers it doesn't mean they wont improve our squad you know.

The lad is right though. Why don't you wait until you have seen these lads play before you pass judgement? Just because they aren't all 'FM wonderkid' jizzfest signings it doesn't mean they wont improve our squad. For all we know, we may well have just signed a few hidden gems.

What's a FM wondekid jizzfest? For all you know they could be shit, too. I said at the minute it looks like none will improve our starting 11. Yet loads of people are saying how good the signings have been.

I'd like some proven quality.

What's a FM wondekid jizzfest? For all you know they could be shit, too. I said at the minute it looks like none will improve our starting 11. Yet loads of people are saying how good the signings have been.

I'd like some proven quality.

1) A FM wonderkid jizzfest ie people getting excited about signing well known, young and up and coming players because they turn out boss on Football manager. For example Neymar, Lucas Moura, Kevin Strootman, Raphael Varene, Thiago Silva, Thiago Alacantra etc....

2) "They could turn out shit" - Which is why i'd rather hang fire, put my trust in those who know more about football then you or I and just wait to see how well these signings can play before I got my knickers in a twist over them.

I agree with the first bit of this but the second bit is premature.

We won't really know how the summer dealings have been until we've played a few league games.

The likes of Alberto and Aspas are either players who are on the verge of becoming good players, hence their lack of experience in the top leagues, or they are simply never going to be good enough for the top leagues. You can argue either way but you simply don't know until they have played a few games for us.

I said at the minute it looks like none will improve our starting 11.

I think Toure does improve us at the back. Can't see him getting bullied like our other centre backs were last season.

Also don't think it will be hard for Alberto or Aspas to be an upgrade on Downing.

Plus our business hasn't finished yet. Now is not the time to be negative, especially when our business hasn't finished and we haven't seen the new signings play for us yet.

1) A FM wonderkid jizzfest ie people getting excited about signing well known, young and up and coming players because they turn out boss on Football manager. For example Neymar, Lucas Moura, Kevin Strootman, Raphael Varene, Thiago Silva, Thiago Alacantra etc....

2) "They could turn out shit" - Which is why i'd rather hang fire, put my trust in those who know more about football then you or I and just wait to see how well these signings can play before I got my knickers in a twist over them.

All them players mentioned are clearly very good players except Thiago and Strootman who I can't comment on cos i haven't seen enough.

Are you saying you wouldn't be happier signing them sort of players?

I agree with the first bit of this but the second bit is premature.

We won't really know how the summer dealings have been until we've played a few league games.

The likes of Alberto and Aspas are either players who are on the verge of becoming good players, hence their lack of experience in the top leagues, or they are simply never going to be good enough for the top leagues. You can argue either way but you simply don't know until they have played a few games for us.

That's a sensible enough post.

I just get annoyed when people start rubbishing our signings just because they aren't household names.

Was Sami Hyypia well known to everyone before we signed him? Or Daniel Agger, Xabi Alonso or Luis Garcia? No they weren't but, look how well they turned out for us. And on the flipside of that, the likes of Jole Cole and Robbie Keane where very well known to most of us, but they turned out to be absolutely crap signings.

So like you say, lets just wait and see how well these players perform before we start getting too excited or start writing them off.

I think Toure does improve us at the back. Can't see him getting bullied like our other centre backs were last season.

Also don't think it will be hard for Alberto or Aspas to be an upgrade on Downing.

Plus our business hasn't finished yet. Now is not the time to be negative, especially when our business hasn't finished and we haven't seen the new signings play for us yet.

I'm not being negative. I'm asking why people are positive about our signings. What makes them positive about them? Just that we signed them?

Are you saying you wouldn't be happier signing them sort of players?

No, I'm saying just because our signings aren't mentioned in the same breath as those sort of players, it doesn't mean they wont improve our squad significantly.

I'm not being negative. I'm asking why people are positive about our signings. What makes them positive about them? Just that we signed them?

We need to remember our transfer committee was not formed until after the summer window had closed last season. The scouts we got from City came around October, so January was our first window with the new committee and they delivered with Sturridge and Coutinho. Two young players, who were not in favour at their current clubs, they came here and made a big impact.

Our scouts have found these two players and they both looked very talented and I see no reason not to be excited, especially after they delivered in Janaury.

That's a sensible enough post.

I just get annoyed when people start rubbishing our signings just because they aren't household names.

Was Sami Hyypia well known to everyone before we signed him? Or Daniel Agger, Xabi Alonso or Luis Garcia? No they weren't but, look how well they turned out for us. And on the flipside of that, the likes of Jole Cole and Robbie Keane where very well known to most of us, but they turned out to be absolutely crap signings.

So like you say, lets just wait and see how well these players perform before we start getting too excited or start writing them off.

Alonso played for a club that finished 2nd in La Liga one season. Garcia played plenty of times for Barcelona.

Alberto was at Sevilla, loaned out to a lower league club in Barca B, Barca had the chance to sign him for 4m Euros, turned it down, and now he's at us.

No comparison between Alonso, Garcia, Coutinho, who all played at really high level, and Alberto.