You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree about Enrique, he should be fucking ashamed of himself, the dickhead.

The kids did that on their own last night, because Carra, Downing and 1st half Henderson gave them no help whatsoever. Carragher is finished, that's not even debatable now, these type of performances are creeping in every couple of games now.

Suso oozes quality, and Wisdom was brilliant. I felt sorry for Pacheco.

We started off brilliantly, some real high-pressure tiki-taka....and then Downing and Carragher tried to join in...and then it just took the wind out of our sails and we became this disjointed monster that we are all used to.

I'm just furious with how shit English players are. These 18 and 19 year old lads from Europe make the established English players look like complete idiots.

Not really getting the Henderson love in from last night.

If anything its only reinforced my opinion of him, and i'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while now. Now, he was far from the worst player on the park. At least 3 of the back 5 take that gong.

But even last night, against a poor side, he was afraid to take responsibility. Watch as the ball comes to him, he isn't thinking about what he can do with it to improve the play, he nearly always plays a quick pass back to whoever gives him the ball and more often than not isn't moving into space to take a return pass. I can't see Rodgers liking that, its the equivalent of hiding for me. Shelvey on the other hand looks to be really delivering on his promise from last year. Constantly getting his head up and his option taking is improving all the time. He changed the game last night.

Henderson got two assists.

Reading on, you say Downing got an assist, but actually he did not. An assist is defined as the last pass before a goal. That was their defender. Without him trying to clear it, it was not going in off the second defender, and there would have been no goal.

Henderson had a good game last night, and your failure to acknowledge that reflects badly on you, not on him.

Agree about Enrique, he should be fucking ashamed of himself, the dickhead.

The kids did that on their own last night, because Carra, Downing and 1st half Henderson gave them no help whatsoever. Carragher is finished, that's not even debatable now, these type of performances are creeping in every couple of games now.

Suso oozes quality, and Wisdom was brilliant. I felt sorry for Pacheco.

We started off brilliantly, some real high-pressure tiki-taka....and then Downing and Carragher tried to join in...and then it just took the wind out of our sails and we became this disjointed monster that we are all used to.

I'm just furious with how shit English players are. These 18 and 19 year old lads from Europe make the established English players look like complete idiots.

What the fuck are you bollocking on about now?

The best two players in the pitch were Wisdom and Shelvey. Both English, both young. Be quiet.

We'll disagree about this, but I didn't think Shelvey was that good. Two well taken goals, but overall I expected a bit more from him.

For me, the standouts were Wisdom and Suso.

Of course not every English player is shite, it's just you would expect so much more from Henderson and Downing considering their experience and wages, but they just annoyed me. I watched Henderson for a period of 45 seconds and could tell exactly what he would do with the ball, which he did. Rolled it 5 yards backwards, got it back, gave it back again, received it again, turned 90 degrees, gave it again, asked for it back, then passed out wide to Downing who was tight on the byline and had a player in front of him, nowhere to go. Just the most stupid passage of play, devoid of any intelligence or desire to construct a positive situation for the team, and I'm supposed to applaud because he didn't lose the ball? So much of that, it was hard to watch at times.

That said, his pass to Shelvey for the first was great.

His pass for the second was very fucking basic, a minimum requirement, it was Shelvey who sold the dummy and made the space.

I saw lots of positives last night, lots of them. Just I'm not blind so as to miss all the piss poor things we did as well.

You expected more from Shelvey?

He came off the bench and looked the best midfielder on the pitch, and scored twice.

What else can any normal fan expect?

Don't answer that. You probably think Borini and Sahin were better because the genius Rodgers signed them.

He should start against United, because he's a matchwinner

I really enjoyed the game and think every player played some part in the victory. We stuck together well as a team when it could easily have fallen apart after their first equaliser. I think Wisdom's desire to win that header and score set the tone.

Even though Carra didn't have the best game I like to think as captain he played a big part in keeping the team focused on our game plan. There were lots of occasions were individual players' decision making around the last 3rd seemed to reflect they were playing to impress. With that kind of attitude it can spiral out of control easily. Especially if players feel they aren't receiving the ball off their teammates at the right time. I think Pacheco suffered from this in the 1st half. Credit to him for keeping getting in positions and still making good decisions when on the ball. Shame he didn't see enough of it.

Some more random points about the game you may or may not agree with:

Again the goals we concede stem from not being prepared for a counter attacks or basic defending errors.

More than one player was at fault for their 1st. Carra, Jones, Enrique in that order.

We scored 3 goals from crosses and 2 from open play, one of which came from a mistake of theirs being punished. The other from good play between Henderson, Jonjo and Borini (also all involved in the 1st open play goal).

Sahin looks very technically accomplished. Hopefully his occasionally not tracking players is just a matter of match time. The thing I've noticed about him which excites me the most and is usually my marker for a top player is that he has the ability to win the ball and play a possession retaining pass with one touch. It's so useful to have as it negates challenging for 2nd and 3rd balls and you can turn defence into attack so much faster. I can't remember a player at Liverpool being able to do that since Alonso? Seriously, I think that is what's getting me hard most. Hope he can do this consistently in the prem.

I think Allen, Henderson and Sahin are three very good footballers with the ball at their feet. I agree at times Henderson seems to miss obvious forward passes (twice I saw last night) but he always seems to make sure he finds a teammate. Plus his attitude was top notch last night. As was Borini's, Shelvey's, Wisdom's and Suso's.

I am worried that at times in games our back four suddenly have no protection. It seems to be systematic but I haven't watched replays of these incidences to understand why. Anyone else see this?

Sure theres more trife to come but that'll do for now.

Shelvey did well against Young Boys, and did well for England ,who have undoubtedly helped his confidence.

A matchwinner against the best? A bold claim.

Well why not? His been getting in very good positions this seasons and has had some good shots on goal, he was due those two goals. His already played against Arsenal and City and didn't look out of place, could of had a goal in the arsenal match if his shooting was better. Wouldn't bet against him scoring against the mancs, he seems to be growing game by game. Who knows he might even go on to be the match winner...gerrard style....ok maybe not.

I am worried that at times in games our back four suddenly have no protection. It seems to be systematic but I haven't watched replays of these incidences to understand why. Anyone else see this?

Ah.... Brendan explains it himself... http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/109084-brendan-rodgers-exclusive-its-all-about-style.html

:)

I was there, not so far from where I live. That match was bizarre. There was no shape in the team (regardless of what the manager says), and we struggled tactically in the midfield throughout the game.

Henderson was in the wrong place most of the time, picked out wrong options most of the time, but ran a lot. He was complaining most of the game about whatever, gesturing at the team mates worse than Carragher usually. A disappointment, I expected much more.

Sahin is the physically slowest midfield player I have seen. Having said that, he is excellent technically, controls the ball in tight situations, he has an eye for the right pass, he played well given the problems he has had. He is a poor man's Alonso, though, no wonder he is on loan here. I liked his way of playing a lot, but he needs a DM with him.

Suso is now the responsibility of Rodgers. He has all the talent in the world to be one of the very top players anywhere. Up to LFC now. This dude controls the ball as well as anyone I have seen, passes well, but surprise, like may of our players, he a a bit slow physically. But what a player we have here, my favorite in that match with Shelvey.

I don't want to talk about the back four much, Coates and Wisdom did fine...

Shelvey and Borini were that match winners, sort of in an odd way, Shelvey was floating around and about, but when it mattered, he was there. And Borini was a massive improvement on Pacheco, just battled on and on, and kept closer to the midfield when at the same time managing to play higher up. A contradiction for sure, but that is how it looked like.

The impression I left with was that we need a DM. There is no way we should concede 3 goals in a game like this, I do not care if we are playing 11 subs or not. We had a 10-15 yard space between the back four and the midfield throughout the game, just for the other team to play in. Neither Henderson or Sahin bothered to be there, Suso was clearly instructed to play further up. A sort of flat midfield and a flat back four. Hodgson's dream, Benitez's nightmare defensively.

Anyway, a football match should not end 5-3, that is ice hockey around here...

Shelvey was excellent in a slower paced game last night but has struggled a little in faster paced PL games and not held the ball as well as needed.

He is a work in progress but will get more game time and no doubt improve.

He seems to work well making an impact from the bench in all competitions and that might be the way Rodgers sees it too.

You expected more from Shelvey?

He came off the bench and looked the best midfielder on the pitch, and scored twice.

What else can any normal fan expect?

Don't answer that. You probably think Borini and Sahin were better because the genius Rodgers signed them.

He should start against United, because he's a matchwinner

I see the promise in Borini, but I've not seen anything in Sahin to get excited about.

I agree about Shelvey, he should start behind the striker but Gerrard will always get played there, regardless of form. But the promise in Shelvey is huge, which is why I expected a little more from him against the shite of young boys. But I'm a big fan of the lad.