You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't have one.

I would tax the fuck out of the rich though.

The US was at her most prosperous and powerful in the 40s, 50s and 60s when the top rate of tax was 92%.

This leaves the rich wealthy but has the added benefit of massively spreading the wealth to the rest of us.

Which leads to more people being able to afford housing, education and healthcare and all the funky stuff that all these evil corporations make.

I'd also jail any CEOs whose company was found doing anytthing shonky or illegal. Would concentrate their minds wonderfully.

Also, is it not the politicians and civil service who frames and implements the laws to regulate the markets?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Romney any more honest about his military service ( or lack of it) than Bush was? Not being arsey' date=' just an honest question.[/quote']

This the classic scenario.

These Republican idiots,same as some of the rich over here but not all,are willing to readily send other peoples sons and daughters in service and battle but are never willing to do the same thing themselves.

Its a shame a lot of the US people aren't made aware of this but when the media is fed what the establishment wants its difficult to educate the masses. Similar things go on in the UK too.

I don't have one.

I would tax the fuck out of the rich though.

The US was at her most prosperous and powerful in the 40s, 50s and 60s when the top rate of tax was 92%.

This leaves the rich wealthy but has the added benefit of massively spreading the wealth to the rest of us.

Which leads to more people being able to afford housing, education and healthcare and all the funky stuff that all these evil corporations make.

I'd also jail any CEOs whose company was found doing anytthing shonky or illegal. Would concentrate their minds wonderfully.

Also, is it not the politicians and civil service who frames and implements the laws to regulate the markets?

The law is for sale. Any company/industry not willing to pay to have laws changed to their benefit will be passing up on an opportunity another company will take.

You ever see Barack Obama campaign, up close? He'll go into those high school gymnasiums in Iowa and New Hampshire and blow them all away. He'll shake every hand in the joint, kiss every baby, hug every widow on Social Security; and sound smarter and more honest than any politician they've ever seen. Because he is.

I wouldn't count on that, I'd suggest their respective media campaigns are more important. We need to remember that as the incumbent Obama has been able to run his media campaign for several months and a particularly negative one focused on Romney. Romney for his part has only just been allowed to start spending on his media given that he wasn't allowed to spend until he was nominated.

Despite extensive online and TV campaigning for several months Obama is only just ahead.

You ever see Barack Obama campaign, up close? He'll go into those high school gymnasiums in Iowa and New Hampshire and blow them all away. He'll shake every hand in the joint, kiss every baby, hug every widow on Social Security; and sound smarter and more honest than any politician they've ever seen. Because he is.

Are you saying Obama is as good a campaigner as Vinick?

The West Wing: Season 6 / Episode 8: - In the Room

Leo McGarry: [to Josh on Arnie Vinick running for President] You ever see Arnie Vinick campaign up close? He'll go into those high school gymnasiums in Iowa and New Hampshire and blow them all away. He'll shake every hand in the joint, kiss every baby, hug every widow on Social Security, and sound smarter and more honest than any Republican they've ever seen. Because he is.

Leo McGarry - The West Wing Characters - ShareTV

I wouldn't count on that, I'd suggest their respective media campaigns are more important. We need to remember that as the incumbent Obama has been able to run his media campaign for several months and a particularly negative one focused on Romney. Romney for his part has only just been allowed to start spending on his media given that he wasn't allowed to spend until he was nominated.

Despite extensive online and TV campaigning for several months Obama is only just ahead.

All the signs are there for a big fat L for Obama. I'm not a Romney fan, so I'm not exactly ecstatic (because lets be honest, not enough people are going to vote Gary Johnson or write-in Ron Paul), but it's what's on the cards.

He's an incumbent, historically incumbents have a huge advantage because people know what to expect for one and resist change for another thing. The fact that he only has a one-point lead (and that depends on which poll you look at) is damning.

All the signs are there for a big fat L for Obama. I'm not a Romney fan, so I'm not exactly ecstatic (because lets be honest, not enough people are going to vote Gary Johnson or write-in Ron Paul), but it's what's on the cards.

He's an incumbent, historically incumbents have a huge advantage because people know what to expect for one and resist change for another thing. The fact that he only has a one-point lead (and that depends on which poll you look at) is damning.

4 points now.

Because he has made everything worse.

What should he have done different, in your opinion? Do you not think America's problems are systemic and can't be fixed in one term - and not only that - but certainly not in a political system that prevents any sort of radical change?

New Leaked Video From Fundraiser Looks Horrible For Mitt Romney

Mysterious YouTube videos that reportedly show Mitt Romney addressing high-level donors at a private fundraiser have started to circulate around the Internet this week, and the contents could be very damning for the Republican presidential nominee.

The videos — which feature an audio of Romney dismissing Obama voters as entitled freeloaders and lamenting his problems with Hispanic voters — were apparently all taken at the same fundraiser, and were first posted on YouTube by two anonymous users. Today, David Corn of Mother Jones reports that he has seen the whole video, which he said was taken sometime before the convention, but after Romney was the presumptive nominee.

The most inflammatory line from the videos refers to 47 percent of Americans who, according to Romney, "will vote for the president no matter what."

"All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That's an entitlement. And that government should give it to them."

It is possible that Romney is referring to the 47 percent of Americans who pay federal income taxes either because they do not earn enough, they are retired, disabled, or myriad reasons that qualify—a number often cited by conservatives when discussing tax reform.

Obama campaign manager Jim Messina wasted no time slamming Romney for the remarks:

“It's shocking that a candidate for President of the United States would go behind closed doors and declare to a group of wealthy donors that half the American people view themselves as ‘victims,’ entitled to handouts, and are unwilling to take ‘personal responsibility’ for their lives," Messina said in a statement. "It’s hard to serve as president for all Americans when you’ve disdainfully written off half the nation.”

We've contacted the Romney campaign to verify that the videos are real and will update when if we hear anything back.

Leaked Mitt Romney Fundraiser Video - Business Insider

Here's the video:

XnB0NZzl5HA

And here's Romney's response, so evidently the footage was real:

LWjE5rtYOoo

Twice he completely sidesteps questions about his victim / entitlement / won't take responsibility for themselves comments. He sounds to me like a man who knows he's fucked up.

Obama has his message for the campaign now: this is what the Republicans really think of poor people. I really hope he goes to town on it and doesn't let up until election day.

Its scary that the so called 'leaders of the free world' can have such a massive cunt as presidential nominee. Even crazier they can afford to virtually right off 47% of the electorate.

American politics are an absolute joke. He virtually admits both sides have guaranteed support 'no matter what' and are only campaigning to 10% of voters. Scary.

Its scary that the so called 'leaders of the free world' can have such a massive cunt as presidential nominee. Even crazier they can afford to virtually right off 47% of the electorate.

American politics are an absolute joke. He virtually admits both sides have guaranteed support 'no matter what' and are only campaigning to 10% of voters. Scary.

Doesnt sound like its confined to US politics though.I'd look closer to home too.

Don't really know what the issue is with what he's said there, they say shit like that all the time don't they?

I don't think I've ever heard a presidential candidate say that half of the country see themselves as victims and refuse to take responsibility for themselves. Republican Senators and Congressmen in safe seats come out with that sort of thing quite often, but not someone running for the White House.

I don't think I've ever heard a presidential candidate say that half of the country see themselves as victims and refuse to take responsibility for themselves. Republican Senators and Congressmen in safe seats come out with that sort of thing quite often, but not someone running for the White House.

Do you reckon? I've heard quite a few yanks talk like that myself, the 'Joe six pack' types. It seems to be a prevailing view - as it is over here these days probably.