You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone who thinks Americans won't vote for Romney needs to watch the programme "Right America feeling wronged" by Alexandra Pelosi about the 2008 campaign.

I don't think I've watched anything quite like it ever before. A real eye opener. I wanted to turn off the tv all the way through it but I couldn't. These people actually exist.

Here's the first part:

Right America Feeling Wronged pt1 - YouTube

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks Americans won't vote for Romney needs to watch the programme "Right America feeling wronged" by Alexandra Pelosi about the 2008 campaign.

I don't think I've watched anything quite like it ever before. A real eye opener. I wanted to turn off the tv all the way through it but I couldn't. These people actually exist.

Here's the first part:

I've just started to watch this and am already fully aware that I'm gonna wanna bash me screen in!

The problem is really the false left-right paradigm. It's quite clear when you look at it without the idea that it's one of "those crazy conspiracies". Obama gets in and is really very Bush-like and in fact less transparent (one of his many forgotten campaign promises). Then you look at Romney and he's pretty much been very Obama like in a lot of ways in terms of the things he's done and supported in the past.

As someone said, you can't win unless you're willing to play ball with those with the real cash. It's why a Gary Johnson or a Ron Paul can't gain any real traction in the republican party they and it's why someone like Dennis Kucinic could never hope to be a presidential candidate either, they actually have beliefs about the real issues effecting everyone in the nation AND the whole world in some cases and they also actually stick to them. I won't say they can't be bought but let's just say the price is higher and if one of those, especially Paul or Kucinic got in and didn't try to be themselves loads of people would lose faith and it would cause widespread problems in terms of dissent because we're talking about people who's been beating the same drum for 20 or so years now.

It's a facade, and illusion, there is no real choice out of those two and to further that illusion their cohorts in the media (often funded by those same people with the real cash mentioned earlier) tell people that only a Democrat or Republican can win. Sometimes enough people in a small area vote in an independent or a Libertarian or another third party candidate but even that is rare, and as long as the mass majority of people in my country continue to be apathetic until we're left with "douche and turd" as the tag says, things won't ever change.

Oh and the Federal Reserve has to go.

I do think Romney is going to win though, still won't be voting for him or Obama.

Its a hard watch, for sure.

I got quickly past the rage phase as some of the things that was said just induced pure bewilderment. The 'Socilism'/Hitler/Communism fella was genius.

To be honest, at times I felt I was watching characters akin to Clayton Bigsby!

I'm baffled how people are so quick to dismiss my claim that Obama could get kicked out. He's only one point ahead in the polls despite Romney being a tool and the Republicans' only policy being to let all poor people die.

One thing the Republicans are good at is selling the American dream, even though they're the ones most responsible for turning it into a nightmare. Obama's ability to run the country and the economy has been hamstrung by them and the system itself (you're talking about people who were prepared to see people on welfare and the military not get their benefits/wages by not agreeing to sign off on an overdraft for the country's spending, rather than not get their own way), so while the country sees no structural reform or economic shift, the Republicans will not only continue that, but they'll sell the people the promise that through hard work and going to church, the picket fences can once again be shining white.

The American people, and ours for that matter, are absolutely 100% deluded. The reason they're in such a mess is because these people suck all the life out of their country and their communities, but then they blame the other side and promise you that if you put them in they'll use their magic powers to make things okay, but there is never - ever - a discussion about the underlying fundamental flaws in the way both countries and their respective economies work, becaue all sides are fully paid-up members of it - i.e markets are good, the private sector knows best, big business brings jobs, and selfishness is a driver. And we've seen with our own eyes, felt it as we've lost our jobs, and know instinctively that that's 100% bull-shit.

I'm baffled how people are so quick to dismiss my claim that Obama could get kicked out. He's only one point ahead in the polls despite Romney being a tool and the Republicans' only policy being to let all poor people die.

One thing the Republicans are good at is selling the American dream, even though they're the ones most responsible for turning it into a nightmare. Obama's ability to run the country and the economy has been hamstrung by them and the system itself (you're talking about people who were prepared to see people on welfare and the military not get their benefits/wages by not agreeing to sign off on an overdraft for the country's spending, rather than not get their own way), so while the country sees no structural reform or economic shift, the Republicans will not only continue that, but they'll sell the people the promise that through hard work and going to church, the picket fences can once again be shining white.

The American people, and ours for that matter, are absolutely 100% deluded. The reason they're in such a mess is because these people suck all the life out of their country and their communities, but then they blame the other side and promise you that if you put them in they'll use their magic powers to make things okay, but there is never - ever - a discussion about the underlying fundamental flaws in the way both countries and their respective economies work, becaue all sides are fully paid-up members of it - i.e markets are good, the private sector knows best, big business brings jobs, and selfishness is a driver. And we've seen with our own eyes, felt it as we've lost our jobs, and know instinctively that that's 100% bull-shit.

You ever see Barack Obama campaign, up close? He'll go into those high school gymnasiums in Iowa and New Hampshire and blow them all away. He'll shake every hand in the joint, kiss every baby, hug every widow on Social Security; and sound smarter and more honest than any politician they've ever seen. Because he is.

You ever see Barack Obama campaign, up close? He'll go into those high school gymnasiums in Iowa and New Hampshire and blow them all away. He'll shake every hand in the joint, kiss every baby, hug every widow on Social Security; and sound smarter and more honest than any politician they've ever seen. Because he is.

He had the 'young person momentum' last campaign because of this... but those kids aren't out waving little fucking "Change" signs, like the US Government would stop being the US Government and allow a bit of fucking change, this go 'round.

The media whipped Obama's support into a fucking frenzy, and carried it all the way through to the inauguration. There were even soft-arses talking about how Obama was going to change the world, in England!

He's had two years with democrat majority, and couldn't get much passed, and then he had two years opposition --- where it looks like he got even fewer bills passed. Those two years were trying for one thing --- Get Obama out of Washington.

It definitely pulled down his force of personality. I was really hoping that the dems could get a good 'run' together... maybe 16-20 years of leadership in the USA, because I can't imagine the populous' mentality changing without it.

The USA is in real, real trouble if a toolbox gets in like Romney and Goebbels lite. I don't think it's because of their policies, or lying, or whatever. It's because stupid people need to be led to fucking water to drink, and the Republicans want to continue the status quo, of them wandering around with their thumbs up their asses.

I've no doubt that it is far from cut and dried that Obama will win a second term. There are still an awful lot of Anyone-But-Obama types out there who just want a change. They don't actually believe in Romney or even have Republican leanings, they just dislike Obama intensely. The cult of personality took over the US presidential race a long time ago - probably going back to when Kennedy defeated Nixon - and the competency of candidates now takes a back seat to how those candidates come across to the moneymen, the Electoral College and the public at large.

I also find it incredible how Americans put so much stock in what the candidates say they'll do to deal with domestic issues. The elected US president spends far more time dealing with foreign policy and starting or putting out fires elsewhere, and it is this that dictates how much (if any) effort will made to deal with America's domestic issues effectively.

Also, with the amount of money donated for campaigning, it's the moneymens' interests that inevitably get looked after first. It's not in their interests for the US government to resolve the domestic issues that have blighted the country for decades because the status quo is so profitable to them.

Here's the first part:

Ho. Lee. Fuk.

Loved the line from the fella at the soup kitchen. In response to the campaigner saying, "McCain is pro life", he says, "He's not pro black though".

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Ho. Lee. Fuk.

Loved the line from the fella at the soup kitchen. In response to the campaigner saying, "McCain is pro life", he says, "He's not pro black though".

justin_bieber_as_the_doctor_by_xx3mopersonxx-d4t7uto.png

The bold bit is tongue in cheek right?

The man is a great campaigner, and I'll he even give you the smart part, but honest?!

I just don't see that...

Anyways, the general sentiment here is that it's time for a change again. There are still people firmly supporting Obama but I know loads who voted for him last time that won't be this time. I'm in that group, although rather than just voting Republican or Democrat I decided to get more involved and find the candidates that I really can get behind regardless of party affiliation. Most people won't do that, they'll just vote for the other side or not vote at all.

Section is pretty much right, although I disagree that the private sector can't work (free-market) and there are plenty of things I could get into about that but it would turn into less politics more economics. I'd just basically argue that this country gave away any chance of a truly free market in 1913 when we got the Fed in charge of the money. Of course some regulation is required to stop the employer from fucking over the worker, I'm not naive enough to suggest it isn't but we should strive for minimal regulation not loads of it. I could go on but it would veer too far off-topic.

There's no such thing as the free market, tis a myth.

Can you show me anywhere where such a thing exists?

It's economic theory and I already conceded that it would most likely need some regulation to protect the employee from the employer (and at times vice-versa).

It can however be far more free than it is now with all the bureaucracies and politicians implementing certain things from some but giving their buddies or the people funding them waivers, bailouts and such.

I realise this documentary paints a very skewed, warped and distorted picture, as its not exactly a broad sample of the US population on display (or even the US republican population, for that matter) but irregardless of that, the people being interviewed are shockingly myopic or retarded, if you will.

I just don't understand how they can spout, much less believe some of the fallacies they propound. Is it pure indoctrination? Or must we blame the people themselves? I'm particularly perplexed by the argument that America would be under constant attack should Obama be elected. One person used 9/11 as an example, discounting of course the fact that that happened under the Bush administration.

And yes, along with the issue the documentary's lack of balance and representation of the entire republican spectrum, I also recognise that I have the benefit of both hindsight (in so far as I know that not only has America not being under terrorist invasion, but that OBL was in fact killed under Obama's orders) and a certain degree of objectivity, due to my not being a US citizen. Nonetheless, it is somewhat worrying that this aspect of republicanism even exists, in my opinion.

It's economic theory and I already conceded that it would most likely need some regulation to protect the employee from the employer (and at times vice-versa).

It can however be far more free than it is now with all the bureaucracies and politicians implementing certain things from some but giving their buddies or the people funding them waivers, bailouts and such.

So we get to the stage where the market is controlled by a few large corporations. Are they interested in the free market or in maximising profit. I'd suggest the latter.

Corporations aren't interested in competition, tis messy, expensive and not guaranteed to maximise profits so it's monopoly they're after.

Who protects us from monopolies?

So we get to the stage where the market is controlled by a few large corporations. Are they interested in the free market or in maximising profit. I'd suggest the latter.

Corporations aren't interested in competition, tis messy, expensive and not guaranteed to maximise profits so it's monopoly they're after.

Who protects us from monopolies?

The law is obviously. You're trying to turn my statement into something it isn't. I said, twice now, that some regulation is required and offered one example of that regulation.

What is your solution?

The Republicans are already in. Obamas tresury - Tim Giethner, Larry Summer... Previously CEO's of Goldman Sachs and US Fed. Obama is the biggest stooge president ever. Even more than Bush. He's run by the bankers and when they're done with him they'll get some other douche bag to pedal their agendas. He is a puppet.

Is Romney any more honest about his military service ( or lack of it) than Bush was? Not being arsey, just an honest question.