You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the guests on Counterspin a few weeks ago set out how laughable the idea that there will be "debates" really is. The two parties set out rules that strictly ensure that not only is there no debate (they are forbiden to speak to each other and follow up questions are banned) but also that stops any themes that aren't appreciated arising (even the "Town Hall" questions are submitted in advance and then only people who submitted suitable questions will be chosen to speak). The people in the town hall are props. The moderator is choosing the questions and the parties are choosing the moderator. One extra handy bonus of this is that they can exclude any other participants that the US public might want to see there, for instance in 1996 with Perot. 76% of people wanted him there, he was shut out.

Previously it was done by The league of women, and done very well. They demanded an independent got his go in 1980 and the first time they were tasked with applying the contract drawn up by the two parties (memorandum of unerstanding) the said they would not be part of "hoodwinking the American nation". It's clever to have a commission that sounds like a democratic non-partizan organistation as it means the public don't click that it's the candidates/partes refusing to open up questioning.

Walter Cronkite described the current method of organising the debates as "unconscionable fraud".

Here is the episode for anyone interested. This topic starts ten minutes in: George Farah on open debates, Muhammad Sahimi on IAEA Iran report

Anyone who is interested in reading these contracts drawn up by the two parties can follow the links below:

http://www.opendebates.org/news/documents/1992MemorandumofUnderstanding.pdf

http://www.opendebates.org/news/documents/1996MemorandaOfUnderstanding.pdf

http://www.opendebates.org/news/documents/debateagreement.pdf

For anyone who listens to podcasts and has an interest seeing the media the US recieves being dissected then I cannot recommend CounterSpin highly enough.

Ah, that's pretty shit. Would think that something like a town hall could be taken at face value.

If you've got time you should dip back into the start of The West Wing season 4 when Bartlett is running for re-election. Much better watch the second time and still mostly relevant. The episode I watched a few nights back was about how Ritchie's people had gone all out to avoid any actual debate and a couple episode before that was about how to effectively neuter the third-party candidate.

No, he actually looks good in a suit.

The same road that Europe went down. Way too much money being taken from some, given to others. Far too many on food stamps, getting phones from the govt, housing, etc.

47% of the country paying no income taxes is unsustainable. Raiding 700MILL from Medicare to cover Obamacare.

The entitlement society, nanny state is the road we are on Hank, and it is financially unsustainable.

And you need not go every four hours asking where I am as I don't come on here as often as you do.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The same road that Europe went down. Way too much money being taken from some, given to others. Far too many on food stamps, getting phones from the govt, housing, etc.

47% of the country paying no income taxes is unsustainable. Raiding 700MILL from Medicare to cover Obamacare.

The entitlement society, nanny state is the road we are on Hank, and it is financially unsustainable.

And you need not go every four hours asking where I am as I don't come on here as often as you do.

You're incredibly stupid and very poorly informed. You need to spend less time listening to BillO and more time reading.

It's a shame to look at the richest country - a country I like very much - and see people like you pissing your potential away. What could be a great nation is really just a bit of a joke.

The US is the wealthiest nation the world's ever seen.

They can afford anything they fucking want. If they choose to funnel wealth from everybody else to the top 1% that's a choice but don't fool yourself into thinking you can't afford free healthcare, jobs and education for everybody,,,even the terminally stupud

US$ 61 billion (2012)

Bill Gates, Net worth

Just one minor example of how affordable the cost of Health Care really is.

Fact

Many of the 47% pay no FEDERAL income tax but still pay state and payroll taxes

Fact

Many of the 47% are low income and would love to earning more and paying Federal income taxes

Fact

Many of the 47% are seniors on social security...they paid Federal income taxes their whole frigging lives

Fact

The tax cuts which put so many into this 47% group was brought in by Bush and the GOP controlled congress.

You're out of your element Hank. Stay on that side of the pond, for everybody's sake. you just run around insulting people and trying to use big words, but never really offer up what you think or what your policies would be. You're quite the internet badass.

The people that need assistance and deserve it fine, but there's no logical stats for almost half of the country to not be paying fed income taxes.

People on food stamps has skyrocketed dramatically. Unemployment has been above 8 percent for a long time. He has added 6 trillion to the deficit.

If you back the man after any of those stats, then you're clearly brainwashed just the same. That's unsustainable, fact.

The problem with that Vladimyr, is that's HIS money. Not the nation's to pay for other people's stuff.

Your just not very bright Mustang. Sorry. You've really not thought the whole thing through very well and can't see any correlation between the bottom suffering and the top prospering whilst the nation nosedives.

If you wanted to educate yourself about that federal income tax claim then all you would need is access to the internet or a library. I have a feeling you have one of them but not the inclination to do the reading. Which is a shame.

You're looking in the wrong place for the parasites sucking the blood out of what should be a great nation. They aren't at the bottom.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You're out of your element Hank.

Actually, I'm very much in my element when talking about politics.

Stay on that side of the pond, for everybody's sake.

I'm moving to Cambridge at the end of January. What, exactly, is going to happen to everybody?

you just run around insulting people and trying to use big words, but never really offer up what you think or what your policies would be.

I do share my opinion, I just don't share them with you. You're unable to think for yourself, why would I spend my time having a serious debate with somebody like you?

You're quite the internet badass.

Xkzz6.gif

The people that need assistance and deserve it fine, but there's no logical stats for almost half of the country to not be paying fed income taxes.

I often bemoan the lack of 'logical stats'. Oh how the universe mocks us with the illogical nature of its stats.

He has added 6 trillion to the deficit.

The deficit is nowhere near $6 trillion. Perhaps you mean debt. I'd be shocked if you knew the difference. The United States, thanks to the idiocy of your party's ideals, had a 1.3 trillion dollar deficit when Obama took office. Times that by four years, add in bailouts, consider the impact of congress and the twats in the majority, then come back to me.

If you back the man after any of those stats, then you're clearly brainwashed just the same. That's unsustainable, fact.

Informed. Brainwashed. All the same to you bible-bashing, redneck, buck-toothed idiots. Take your gun and shove it up your arsehole.

If you want to be as brainwashed as me, you could always look at who is really responsible for your debt.

debt_chart_wh2.jpg

These 'debates' should be Hillaryus. Romnod should fuck up and lick a cameraman on the knee cos they wear them cameraman khaki shorts and thats sure to take him back a little. He doesn't much enjoy thangs bein outta place. You people will learn. Dont approach him from behind and cause him to rear up and kick out. Never look him direct in the eye. If you should catch his glare you must break eye contact. Fail to do this and a swans arm will be broken each time you blink for the rest of your life.

Dont you ever raise your voice to him in his house. And take your shoes off you muthafuckz. With your big stupid feet in your size ten clodhoppers caked in three types of shit stompin and mashing chewy into peoples hair. When you stroke his hair stroke front to back never back to front. Keep arms leg and hed inside car when travelling with him. NAME? RANK? SERIAL NUMBER?

I can't be arsed checking out the figures, Muzzy, but I'll throw you a challenge - you can make me look very silly if I'm wrong.

Take a selection of these terrible European "nanny states" and look at their levels of literacy, life expectancy, child mortality, violent crime, drug addiction, mental illness and their economic productivity - then look at the comparator figures for the USA.

Let me know whether you still think it's such a bad road to go down.

I can't be arsed checking out the figures, Muzzy, but I'll throw you a challenge - you can make me look very silly if I'm wrong.

Take a selection of these terrible European "nanny states" and look at their levels of literacy, life expectancy, child mortality, violent crime, drug addiction, mental illness and their economic productivity - then look at the comparator figures for the USA.

Let me know whether you still think it's such a bad road to go down.

It doesn't matter to most republicans, and all Tea-baggers. It really doesn't... The USA is one of those countries where a lot of the people (not all, don't get your knickers in a twist) think it's the best country in the world, and leads in... well... everything of value. They think other countries don't have freedom, like they do, and we're all jealous of the lives they lead and their opportunities.

I used to live in the US and ... well... thats my take on things.

I briefly (9 months) lived in the US too, and I reckon about a third of them don't care about too much beyond God and guns. That's the Republican core vote right there, and the further you can keep these people away from power, the better.

I briefly (9 months) lived in the US too, and I reckon about a third of them don't care about too much beyond God and guns. That's the Republican core vote right there, and the further you can keep these people away from power, the better.

I lived in a deeply republican state, Arizona, so I'd definitely say most of them were of the God/Guns/No blacks/No Mexicans/Low Taxes for Richies variety... even poor people, which was interesting.

Granted, I know that's a fucked up sampling... I was down in Washington, as my friend is living there right now, a few times recently. It was difficult to find anyone with ... any sort of liberal leanings there. That REALLY shocked me. I expected Washington to be more liberal, as the West Coast traditionally is...