You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think last night was the night that the election changed.

Before it was a clear run for Obama against the fuckwit.

But Obama looked tired and beaten. Romney looks like he had been well programmed. None of it was meant. None of it was believed by him but his handlers had prepared him well.

Obama just looked down at his podium as if he was a man beaten

So did Reagan. Bush was trounced in '04, Dukakis outdid Bush in '88's opener & Perot trounced Clinton and Bush in post debate polls. If Obama is as listless in all three, then there's cause for real concern.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Republicans do what they did with Bush; downplay expectations so much that if he turned up with a tie and didn't, literally, shit himself then they could claim a win?

Obama was a bit listless and rambly whereas Romney was wide-eyed, commanding and full of the most egregious lies you're likely to see in a Presidential debate. His style was aided by a frail, slow and very, very old moderator in Jim Lehrer, who he could just talk over whenever he felt like it.

There's a lot of material for the Obama campaign to use in "before and after" style ads if they're on the ball. At one point Romney shifted his tax policy despite the existing one still being up on his website.

Did the Republicans do what they did with Bush; downplay expectations so much that if he turned up with a tie and didn't, literally, shit himself then they could claim a win?

That’s exactly how it struck me. I’ve read the reports how Romney was much the better, but it struck me like applauding the special kid for finally drawing his first full circle.

Assuming they don’t fee Obama another cup of sleeping pills like they seemed to do just prior to this debate, then I expect him to come out swinging. Well, come out swinging as much as is possible in this cozy hand holding joke of a free ad they call a “debate” in these things.

At one point with Obama’s lacklustre performance I started to wonder was this a rope-a-dope. Is he going to let himself get talked down and then pull off the big some back? He was very withdrawn.

I am however quite worried that Romeny could win this, as I just don't think he is fit for purpose.

But Hank that's your guys' problems. You argue that because he inherited a shitty situation, it doesn't matter that he made everything worse.

If you thought the first debate was anything other than a 10-8 first round knockdown, then you're clueless.

There's a long way to go, though and don't fear, Obama will bring up the 47% and the media will spin lats night the best they can.

But Hank that's your guys' problems. You argue that because he inherited a shitty situation, it doesn't matter that he made everything worse.

If you thought the first debate was anything other than a 10-8 first round knockdown, then you're clueless.

There's a long way to go, though and don't fear, Obama will bring up the 47% and the media will spin lats night the best they can.

That's not true though, is it. An example of "making it worse" would be with Britain's Conservatives coming in, introducing mass austerity and then finding that the recovery in progress completely reversed.

Only a walking abortion would consider a glacially slow recovery from the worst set of circumstances in 70+ years tempered by a twisted parody of what used to be the Republican Party an example of "everything made worse". You'd have to extract context as well as Romney did truth.

Surely in the US,better or worse is more defined individually rather than collectively,or at least thats how it seems to me.

The deep mistrust of government and its moral and financial obligation to its citizens in times of personal crisis seem to suggest that asking for help is akin to saying you are a muslim terrorist who hates the USA.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He hasn't made 'everything worse'. He's working through the dreadful state he has been left, and doing it with economic growth. At least more sensible policies are being introduced. Doing it too quickly will see your country going down the road we're going down.

Why, because you say I am?

So he should. Only total right-wing nutters come out with that type of mentalism.

I'll tell you what's funny, though: Somebody who fights for lower taxes, but complains people aren't paying tax. Twunt.

Off topic a little, just watch Ross Kemp Extreme world on New Orleans. How a supposedly developed country can allow a major city to almost eat itself alive should be a national disgrace.

America is fucked.

Plenty of cities in the uk you could say the same about without the help of a hurricane to be fair.

My main thought as I watched the debate was that the race was getting closer as it unfolded. I thought Obama was flat, whereas Romney was like my Jack Russell terrier - tail was well and truly up!

I'm not sure about the veracity of much of what Romney said, and hopefully this will be exposed. But unfortunately so much of this is about perception, and Romney came across as quite commanding, whereas Obama seemed a little jaded. He needs to do a better job in subsequent debates or I could see him losing the Presidency, whereas a couple of weeks ago, when that tape of Romney talking about the 47% came out, I thought Obama would walk it.

Game on.

Guest ShoePiss

These debates (and politics generally in this country) are not about what you say but how you say it, sad but true.

As for the state of the US I know one thing, I haven't seen the widespread level of poverty in the western world like I have here. There's so many people homeless, they're just not cared for by any kind of system like they would be in the UK for example.

These debates (and politics generally in this country) are not about what you say but how you say it' date=' sad but true.

As for the state of the US I know one thing, I haven't seen the widespread level of poverty in the western world like I have here. There's so many people homeless, they're just not cared for by any kind of system like they would be in the UK for example.[/quote']

That's what amazed me. Literally hundreds of people, old, mentally ill just living in derelict houses in absolutely horrific conditions. Kemp tried to contact the city gov office and the police dept but they wouldn't even talk to him. It was an absolute shambles.

I know our country is far from perfect but the way these people had basically been left on the fringes of society, with no help at all from the state was absolutely horrific. It was like the wild fucking west.

Leader of the free world my arse.

By the way I've left you another question on the TNF.

I can't believe there are Americans who are waiting to vote based upon the outcome of these debates?

Fucking laughable. Calling it a debate in the first place is a joke. They dance around the question for ages and when they're finished you've no idea what the fuck they're talking about.