You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

This is scarcely believable to me...they need to get a grip on this - no wonder there is seemingly so little money available for the transfer market 

It is understood that operating costs at Anfield have gone up by a whopping 40%. Senior sources put that upturn down to wage costs, labour-based contracts, utilities and rates, while there has been a 100% increase in utility bills during that time.

Over the past five years, administrative expenses have increased by 70% from £320m to £545m, while staff costs have gone up by as much as 76% to an eye-watering £366m.

Just now, an tha said:

This is scarcely believable to me...they need to get a grip on this - no wonder there is seemingly so little money available for the transfer market 

It is understood that operating costs at Anfield have gone up by a whopping 40%. Senior sources put that upturn down to wage costs, labour-based contracts, utilities and rates, while there has been a 100% increase in utility bills during that time.

Over the past five years, administrative expenses have increased by 70% from £320m to £545m, while staff costs have gone up by as much as 76% to an eye-watering £366m.

Nobody ever thinks of the electricity bills though. There's been a war in Ukraine you know? 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nobody ever thinks of the electricity bills though. There's been a war in Ukraine you know? 

Oh aye!

Joking aside - if we are barely scraping a profit when we are playing every game it is possible to do and winning stuff, when we are selling record levels of shite from liverworld etc etc - then we are potentially gonna be in bother soon then, given how we are run as a "sustainable business".

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Oh aye!

Joking aside - if we are barely scraping a profit when we are playing every game it is possible to do and winning stuff, when we are selling record levels of shite from liverworld etc etc - then we are potentially gonna be in bother soon then, given how we are run as a "sustainable business".

Accounts can have all kinds of things in though aside from running costs of the last year to burn up that 600m. I'm a bit surprised by march day income, is that down on pre pandemic levels? I think so and surprising the number of games we played. And then there's these mad costs pulled out of their arses. 

I do think there is an element of either click bate or full on trolling with statements like "In the past five years, annual operating costs for Anfield have increased by nearly 40 per cent."  

And why not, they know there are hundreds of thousands of supporters that will debate the accounts online and keep LFC active on social media regardless of what the accounts say. Little snippets for everyone is the way it should be.

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Accounts can have all kinds of things in though aside from running costs of the last year to burn up that 600m. I'm a bit surprised by march day income, is that down on pre pandemic levels? I think so and surprising the number of games we played. And then there's these mad costs pulled out of their arses. 

'Other costs' or whatever have to be detailed though in proper reports, yes?

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

'Other costs' or whatever have to be detailed though in proper reports, yes?

I don't think so. Accounts aren't an audit trail of invoices in and out. The club obviously need to hold the detail, but I don't think they need to be published. And they probably need to provide rough outline to what other costs are and if they differ from last year. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think so. Accounts aren't an audit trail of invoices in and out. They obviously need to hold the detail, but I don't think they need to be published. 

Ah that is what i was getting at - if those costs were challenged and for audit purposes they would have to be proven - otherwise every business known to man would just whack in as much 'other' 'miscellaneous' or whatever want to call it as want.

The reverse of man city's sponsorship deals basically!

30 minutes ago, an tha said:

And there's still some of our fan base that think we can sign Bellingham... 

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This is like a dream for him. Fsg news and his chance to defend them to the hilt. 

Considering you were already questioning the validity of the figures within 3 posts, the irony of this comment isn’t lost on me. 

It could be that a big chunk of these extra costs relates to those admin, staffing and police costs of staging games which weren’t incurred in the previous year because there were no crowds. The game income goes up massively but so will the associated costs. 

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

Ah that is what i was getting at - if those costs were challenged and for audit purposes they would have to be proven - otherwise every business known to man would just whack in as much 'other' 'miscellaneous' or whatever want to call it as want.

The reverse of man city's sponsorship deals basically!

You can pay yourself millions or charge the company millions in consultancy costs and its completely legal. Would pass audit no problem 

59 minutes ago, an tha said:

Get the leccy on the fiddle John.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Looking forward to the usual posters with no financial / accounting background ripping this to shreds…

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-announces-financial-results-year-may-31-2022

Okay, seeing as I have literally worked in M&A valuation and have looked at hundreds of pages of accounts over the years, you won't have a problem with my opinion. That being...

If anybody believes our wage bill, or the general concept that we made only 7.5m in profit last year, then you are a fucking moron.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Daisy said:

You can pay yourself millions or charge the company millions in consultancy costs and its completely legal. Would pass audit no problem 

Yup. People think that the accounts are ever going to show "50m - John Henry's back pocket".

It doesn't fucking work like that. Hiding profit is a corporate truism, but in an industry as loosely regulated as football, it's the fucking status quo. 

5 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Yup. People think that the accounts are ever going to show "50m - John Henry's back pocket".

It doesn't fucking work like that. Hiding profit is a corporate truism, but in an industry as loosely regulated as football, it's the fucking status quo. 

It's like the argument on here "the accounts are audited, they must be right". But accounting isn't about truth. It's about legal. Maybe if they can find out. It's why city are getting done now for effectively falsifying accounts, yet they were all signed off by auditors and indiscretion was only found by someone hacking city. Same at Chelsea. The new owners have held back 100m or more because of accounting irregularities on audited accounts. If accounts were a pure black and white audit trail, with cashflow in and out, we wouldn't have accountants. 

• Upvote 1