You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

never given a real chance for me

regardless of form if you dont get the luxury of starting three consecutive games not even once, for me says you werent given a real chance

Totally agree.

Also, we should not be with out his services if we're only getting £2million to spend now.

Fucking mental business.

Chimps could run LFC better than this constant bending over cobblers.

never given a real chance for me

regardless of form if you dont get the luxury of starting three consecutive games not even once, for me says you werent given a real chance

Yeah. You have to ask yourself why even the guy who spunked £35 million on him - a record fee for a british player - couldn't see fit to start him in 3 consecutive games.

Also, we should not be with out his services if we're only getting £2million to spend now.

Who says thats the case? It is not the Hicks Gillett nightmare anymore, the current owners could easily allow us to spend money we are going to get in a years time. We were in for Phil Jones, which for me indicates a willingness to spend that is more long term oriented than net in net out window to window.

It's funny that everybody concentrates on the money included in the offer for Agger and not its symbolic meaning.

If it is true that the Great Dane wants to go, then there is another sign that there is something deeply rotten within the club and that having no more as an aim to get back to the Top 4 didn't help to convince our top players to sign a new contract.

Of course there were many signs from the owners about the club's direction, like overlooking someone like Van Gaal and hiring a manager with less experience in the PL than Andy Carroll.

I can only imagine we're probably still paying some of his wages.

I remember hearing a story about the Irish rugby team at the world cup in 1987, basically the team were trying to sleep the night before a big game only to be kept awake by noises in the hotel hallway. When one of the players finally went outside to see what the commotion was he found a load of the IRFU high ranking officials trashing the place playing a pissed up version of cowboys and Indians, they had used the whole trip as a game as they couldn't believe their luck to be going. Ian Ayre and his crew are the modern day IRFU officials.

Jack, its obvious we're wheeling and dealing otherwise we'd go out, do our business and then sell the shite

Or we'd get even worse prices for our unwanted players if their replacements are in place. But we are wheeling and dealing which I understand. I just want to wait till the window is over until I castigate the club for this.

sounds like Big Andy isn't having any of it according to tomorrows papers, good on him, okay 19million is probably the most we'll ever have a chance of getting for him, but for a player with such potential its a bit ridiculous that BR has seemingly chose to try offload before having a look

And my opinon is that the biggest gamble was Dalglish, and yet people fell over themselves to let us go ahead with that.

There is always an undercurrent to these Rodgers snipes, what is yours? And I meant that in a nice way, I’m not a bully boy poster by nature, who was YOUR pick for manager instead of Rodgers?

This is what the situation boils down to, people set their stalls out for AvB, or Van Gaal, or Ragnick, or even Benitez (my choice) and when they didn’t get it they were very upset. Some people sat on their outrage until after the first friendly, but now it’s properly pouring out of people. The lack of signings, the links with Dempsey, the Allen rumour, it only took a very small flame to light this bonfire, I could see it happening a mile off. But that’s ok, people didn’t want to be rational when we first announced Rodgers, they were too upset and too intent on waiting for him to fail. Now the gloves are off and there may be more scope for people to properly sit down and discuss it, which I welcome.

Realistically, who could we have got rather than Rodgers?

What extra would they have brought to this club?

My view on it is simple. I respect Rodgers the man, the personality. I think it’s the number one priority for a manager at this club, to be able to handle the size of the club, the intense scrutiny, and to manage the expectations of hundreds of millions of fans who all expect massive things from a club who have Stuart Downing as its best winger, and who bought Andy Carroll for almost twice the amount they sold Mascherano to Barcelona for.

AvB couldn’t handle the pressure at Chelsea so, for me, he had no chance at all of managing this club. We’d have torn his fucking head off after 3 months of average performances.

I don’t think Van Gaal ever wanted to be manager, he seemed keen on the DoF thing, but not the manager thing. My own personal view is that he has had a blessed career and reached his pinnacle 15 years ago with a young Ajax team that had some remarkable young talents all emerging at once. I think he’s divisive and is a Cruyff-lite. I think expectations on him would have been massive, but he’d still have had the same problems, namely Adam, Aquilani, Downing, Henderson, Carroll, and Cole. No amount of management is going to cure us of those players, we’re fucking fucked under the weight of £100m in transfers and however much else in wages per week from that lot.

Rodgers IS a gamble, and this IS a massive point in our history. But even if we had Mourinho in charge, we’d still be looking at trouble. So I’d rather trust in a young manager with fight, and spirit, and confidence, than trust in a cool, calculating, experienced manager to come in and make us all feel like we’re getting somewhere, only for us to wake up in two years and realise we’d not actually progressed at all. I think this club could even sink lower than 8th in the next year or so, but by then we’d have gotten free of Aquilani and Cole at least. We won’t progress until we get rid of these players, until we can let a manager start afresh and spend some money again. I’m not even sure the latter will happen, but we’ve got some fine kids coming through and I want a manager in place who will see that job through, because I think this club may be able to turn itself around with these players if we develop them right. I trust Rodgers to do that more than I trust AvB, he has the credentials from his time at Chelsea, and developed a young team at Swansea. I get the feeling that FSG see that our future lies with the kids as well, and wanted a manager who understood how important it was to nurture and oversee the youth set-up.

Best post I've seen on this thread in a while. Need more posts where everyone isn't calling each other a cunt for having a different opinion.

State opinion.

Give background and reasons for opinion.

Discuss merits/flaws in said opinion without calling each other cunts.

Simple, no?

Best post I've seen on this thread in a while. Need more posts where everyone isn't calling each other a cunt for having a different opinion.

State opinion.

Simple, no?

Rafa.

sounds like Big Andy isn't having any of it according to tomorrows papers, good on him, okay 19million is probably the most we'll ever have a chance of getting for him, but for a player with such potential its a bit ridiculous that BR has seemingly chose to try offload before having a look

Not had a look? It doesn't take a genius to work out he's shit.

Its amazing how everytime our manager or are previous manager gets asks a question about carroll the first thing they say is "He's a good player andy".

I think even kenny couldn't believe how shit he was after he bought him.

Everybodys all of a sudden beleaving our own hype. He,s rubbish and if we can get 19 million for him it will be a tidy bit of business

More worried about the Agger and Pepe rumours, although I think we should keep Carroll. If those 3 go, we will be very threadbare.

We have a recent history of not replacing players with others of sufficient quality and whilst I understand that it is difficult to attract that quality in our position, I fear for our standing should we sell our better players.

We can't compete with the teams above with a 1 in 1 out policy. Not convinced about Rodgers or the owners.

Guest San Don
More worried about the Agger and Pepe rumours, although I think we should keep Carroll. If those 3 go, we will be very threadbare.

We have a recent history of not replacing players with others of sufficient quality and whilst I understand that it is difficult to attract that quality in our position, I fear for our standing should we sell our better players.

We can't compete with the teams above with a 1 in 1 out policy. Not convinced about Rodgers or the owners.

Havent seen any rumours about Reina this time. City have been scared off (if that's the right phrase) by us saying £25m and we'll think about it. Skrtel might be the one most likely to move. Dont know why, just get the feeling he's in bigger demand than Agger or Reina.

Havent seen any rumours about Reina this time. City have been scared off (if that's the right phrase) by us saying £25m and we'll think about it. Skrtel might be the one most likely to move. Dont know why, just get the feeling he's in bigger demand than Agger or Reina.

Apparently the Metro has us looking at Butland cos Pepe wants out. I notice that Macherano was apparently talking Agger up in the Spanish press recently, some head turning going on there perhaps?

I think we need proper investment to get into the top 4 before we can be left to our own devices, and even then, they will have to tinker every now and then. The big question is, have the owners got the funds or inclination to do so?

The mirror (yeah, I know) are reporting there was a 25 percent sell on clause put into the original deal to bring Andy here. As ridiculous as that sounds, I don't think any of us would put it past our hierachy to pull off such a dumb ass move. If true I would immediately rehire Comolli and sack him again on the spot.

State opinion.

Simple, no?

It is a great post,

I don't feel too negative about the current crop who have left, nor do I feel too bad about one of the CBs going for £20m+ to fund other improvements in the squad.

When Newcastle fell to the championship they purged a lot of the financial millstones that were clogging up their squad, followed by removing ageing or demanding players like Barton and Nolan the season afterwards.

We seemed to compound our problems with Jovanovic, Cole, loaning Aqulani, Poulsen, Konchesky, Carragher contract and then AC :no

We finally seem to be turning to idea of developing a young, financially lean outfit, where the youth players are expected to fill some of the squad places and we move away from increasing our borrowings year on year.

The mirror (yeah, I know) are reporting there was a 25 percent sell on clause put into the original deal to bring Andy here. As ridiculous as that sounds, I don't think any of us would put it past our hierachy to pull off such a dumb ass move. If true I would immediately rehire Comolli and sack him again on the spot.

The Mirror aren't a newspaper, they are professional baiters of Liverpool fans.

It is a great post,

I don't feel too negative about the current crop who have left, nor do I feel too bad about one of the CBs going for £20m+ to fund other improvements in the squad.

When Newcastle fell to the championship they purged a lot of the financial millstones that were clogging up their squad, followed by removing ageing or demanding players like Barton and Nolan the season afterwards.

We seemed to compound our problems with Jovanovic, Cole, loaning Aqulani, Poulsen, Konchesky, Carragher contract and then AC :no

We finally seem to be turning to idea of developing a young, financially lean outfit, where the youth players are expected to fill some of the squad places and we move away from increasing our borrowings year on year.

Strange that this "idea of developing a young.... where the youth players are expected to fill some of the squad places " doesn't include Andy Carroll.

Last time I checked his age it said 23 and was signed just before he turns 22. But the idea of young and lean mught for example include a 29yr old forward from Fulham. Just saying...

I think that's part of the problem. They don't have the clout to do what needs to be done, nor the expertise to make sure mistakes like last season don't happen.

In retrospect they were the perfect bidders for RBS (they got their money) but from where we are standing now, in the midst of the reality of "we are only going to spend what we can earn", they don't seem ideal for a team whose goal was to get back into the top 4 before FFP etc made it impossible.

You're right it's not all down to FSG but right now they are the only people that can fix it and they aren't doing a great job of it. Their plan is very high risk and those risks include a manager without a pedigree of success and a difficulty attracting and retaining players (due to wage squeeze and being uncompetitive). Right now, it looks (only looks) like some of those risks are being realized. So naturally people will question them and the plan.

You have to give people some latitude because a lot of the discussion is emotionally charged as people begin to understand what things like "reduce the wage bill", "spend what you generate" mean in reality.

We're not arguing! We're enlightening each other about a different perspective. It's good.

we're hardly enlightening each other. It's not difficult to see all sides of this one. I guess I'm torn. I can see the size of the risk. I can see the size of the opportunity. In a way, it encapsulates what we love about football. I just wish it was someone else's club.