You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I'm not sure what they are supposed to do?

I think that's part of the problem. They don't have the clout to do what needs to be done, nor the expertise to make sure mistakes like last season don't happen.

In retrospect they were the perfect bidders for RBS (they got their money) but from where we are standing now, in the midst of the reality of "we are only going to spend what we can earn", they don't seem ideal for a team whose goal was to get back into the top 4 before FFP etc made it impossible.

We can only compete long term, we can't provide another (people forget last years splurge) cash injection, certainly not to the same level, so our only option is long term. If you are not in the champions league then you will be vulnerable to this from teams such as Barcelona and City. Tottenham and Arsenal (our competition) could both lose their best players, so this isn't unique to us, and nor is it primarily down to FSG. People really are going to have to start taking a step back, caution and scepticism is fine, but too many have decided on very little evidence and are unwilling to countenance anything postive.

You're right it's not all down to FSG but right now they are the only people that can fix it and they aren't doing a great job of it. Their plan is very high risk and those risks include a manager without a pedigree of success and a difficulty attracting and retaining players (due to wage squeeze and being uncompetitive). Right now, it looks (only looks) like some of those risks are being realized. So naturally people will question them and the plan.

You have to give people some latitude because a lot of the discussion is emotionally charged as people begin to understand what things like "reduce the wage bill", "spend what you generate" mean in reality.

It is winding me up to be honest, because I am finding that I am arguing with posters like you, Dicko, Zigackly, posters who I like and have always kept me coming back.

We're not arguing! We're enlightening each other about a different perspective. It's good.

I don't see how FSG would make an inferior footballing decision than some British or Arab owner who plays Championship Manager with the club and interferes thinking they know more than they do.

I think setting up a sensible wage structure is a very good starting point to ensure this club is still alive in 20 years.

I think a stricter approach to transfers and wages has been long overdue at the club. Not saying we shouldn't spend big when the player merits it (Suarez eg) but paying over the odds for players and handing out massive contracts should be stopped.

Everyone knows how soft we've been over the years that's why other clubs and players ask for stupid fees from us because they know they will get it.

I don't see how FSG would make an inferior footballing decision than some British or Arab owner who plays Championship Manager with the club and interferes thinking they know more than they do.

I think setting up a sensible wage structure is a very good starting point to ensure this club is still alive in 20 years.

But playing mid Table Football aswell.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The movement so far in the transfere market has been poor I think you would agree Hank,the deal for the kid Allen who you rate highly has dragged on so far and should be sorted, or is it they have to sell before they can buy because to me it is looking that way.

We really don't know how it'll end up, mate. Suarez dragged on. We bagged him. It's how it ends up that counts, isn't it?

BBC are tweeting Carroll is off to West Ham on loan. West Ham paying £2m now and £17m at the end of the season.

As long as that means we have the money to spend now, I'm happy with that. I'd not be shocked to see Ba's clause get activated tonight or tomorrow.

BBC are tweeting Carroll is off to West Ham on loan. West Ham paying £2m now and £17m at the end of the season.

I hope its a 17m permanent if they stay up regardless if they want him or not. None of this optional buy out clause rubbish we had with Aquilani.

Hopefully we've got a top striker lined up but I don't think so and it'll most likely be Dempsey in for Carroll.

What ?

£19 million + getting his wages off the books is a great deal for Carroll as far as we should be concerned.

It was the worst transfer in the history of this club in relation to what we paid for him. No if's or but's about it.

On the assumption he's successful and even then if he is that West Ham don't drop out of the deal even if they survive next season. We could still end up with a striker back with us in 12 months time worth substantially less.

Aquilani over again?

Well if that Carroll talk is true, they better make sure no matter what they have to stump up the money.

Is there any precedent for such a condition? I know that you can trigger an offer if a player hits X amount of appearances, but I don't see how in this instance 17m can be enforced.