You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

What ?

£19 million + getting his wages off the books is a great deal for Carroll as far as we should be concerned.

It was the worst transfer in the history of this club in relation to what we paid for him. No if's or but's about it.

If the deal is £2M up front and the £17M balance paid at the end of the season, I can go along with that. But all this loan and buy if we stay up Malarke no thanks.

What ?

£19 million + getting his wages off the books is a great deal for Carroll as far as we should be concerned.

It was the worst transfer in the history of this club in relation to what we paid for him. No if's or but's about it.

Except It's not 19 million, It's 2 million!!! 2 fucking million!

17 million IF they stay up. If they get relegated and Carroll has an awful season, he will be worth next to nothing in 12 months time.

What's the betting that even if they do stay up they will wriggle out of paying 17 million next year?

On the assumption he's successful and even then if he is that West Ham don't drop out of the deal even if they survive next season. We could still end up with a striker back with us in 12 months time worth substantially less.

Aquilani over again?

The deal surely is they cannot drop out if they stay up. They have very good chances of doing so IMO. Think Carroll will be suited to their football aswell.

Happy Carroll's been got rid, he is a hinderance to any technical based play

Where did this myth about Carroll being slow and technically poor come from?

People need to start watching football matches instead of borrowing opinions from loud-mouthed fuckwits on talk radio.

And my opinon is that the biggest gamble was Dalglish, and yet people fell over themselves to let us go ahead with that.

There is always an undercurrent to these Rodgers snipes, what is yours? And I meant that in a nice way, I’m not a bully boy poster by nature, who was YOUR pick for manager instead of Rodgers?

This is what the situation boils down to, people set their stalls out for AvB, or Van Gaal, or Ragnick, or even Benitez (my choice) and when they didn’t get it they were very upset. Some people sat on their outrage until after the first friendly, but now it’s properly pouring out of people. The lack of signings, the links with Dempsey, the Allen rumour, it only took a very small flame to light this bonfire, I could see it happening a mile off. But that’s ok, people didn’t want to be rational when we first announced Rodgers, they were too upset and too intent on waiting for him to fail. Now the gloves are off and there may be more scope for people to properly sit down and discuss it, which I welcome.

Realistically, who could we have got rather than Rodgers?

What extra would they have brought to this club?

My view on it is simple. I respect Rodgers the man, the personality. I think it’s the number one priority for a manager at this club, to be able to handle the size of the club, the intense scrutiny, and to manage the expectations of hundreds of millions of fans who all expect massive things from a club who have Stuart Downing as its best winger, and who bought Andy Carroll for almost twice the amount they sold Mascherano to Barcelona for.

AvB couldn’t handle the pressure at Chelsea so, for me, he had no chance at all of managing this club. We’d have torn his fucking head off after 3 months of average performances.

I don’t think Van Gaal ever wanted to be manager, he seemed keen on the DoF thing, but not the manager thing. My own personal view is that he has had a blessed career and reached his pinnacle 15 years ago with a young Ajax team that had some remarkable young talents all emerging at once. I think he’s divisive and is a Cruyff-lite. I think expectations on him would have been massive, but he’d still have had the same problems, namely Adam, Aquilani, Downing, Henderson, Carroll, and Cole. No amount of management is going to cure us of those players, we’re fucking fucked under the weight of £100m in transfers and however much else in wages per week from that lot.

Rodgers IS a gamble, and this IS a massive point in our history. But even if we had Mourinho in charge, we’d still be looking at trouble. So I’d rather trust in a young manager with fight, and spirit, and confidence, than trust in a cool, calculating, experienced manager to come in and make us all feel like we’re getting somewhere, only for us to wake up in two years and realise we’d not actually progressed at all. I think this club could even sink lower than 8th in the next year or so, but by then we’d have gotten free of Aquilani and Cole at least. We won’t progress until we get rid of these players, until we can let a manager start afresh and spend some money again. I’m not even sure the latter will happen, but we’ve got some fine kids coming through and I want a manager in place who will see that job through, because I think this club may be able to turn itself around with these players if we develop them right. I trust Rodgers to do that more than I trust AvB, he has the credentials from his time at Chelsea, and developed a young team at Swansea. I get the feeling that FSG see that our future lies with the kids as well, and wanted a manager who understood how important it was to nurture and oversee the youth set-up.

Stands and applauds. A beacon of reason in a sea of paranoia. Well said that man!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Watching him in every game he has played for this club. He can't keep up with play.

Strontium Dog seems to be close to meltdown here, always had him down as a good poster but maybe this forum can break even the best of us.

For the record, Andy Carroll is slow and has poor technique and positional sense for a top level striker which is why getting 19m for him would represent excellent business. Paying 35m wasn't.

surely rodgers has decided on a replacement striker coming in before this deal was finalised. apparently dempsey pulled out of fulham tour to force a move to us. will be gutted if we end up wasting that 2m to cover transfer of dempsey/allen. :wallbutt:

Remains to be seen.

Allen for Adam/Henderson

Dempsey/Borini for Kuyt/Maxi

??? for Carroll

Except It's not 19 million, It's 2 million!!! 2 fucking million!

17 million IF they stay up. If they get relegated and Carroll has an awful season, he will be worth next to nothing in 12 months time.

What's the betting that even if they do stay up they will wriggle out of paying 17 million next year?

It does have an air of inevitability about it. Can easily see the 20 page "Ian Ayre is a fool" thread after it transpires that there was never any clause, just a "gentleman's agreement" and we are "surprised" that West Ham haven't honoured it.

People need to start watching football matches instead of borrowing opinions from loud-mouthed fuckwits on talk radio.

Myth? Are you serious anybody with fucking sight in one eye could clearly see see how poor Carroll is technically, his control is championship standard, he's extremly one footed, he is slow in possesion and his passing is laboured, his shooting has no variety don't think i've ever seen him curve a ball add to that he can barely run I think we're getting a good deal.

I really don't think Carroll will want to go there so perhaps the club think there is little to lose. The positive is that it might force Newcastle's hand. The negative is that he actually accepts the move and no better offers come in.

Right just so I can get this straight.

Daniel Agger decides that he wants to leave and if he does go it will be down to the owners selling him to cut costs!

Don't suppose the fact that Barca and City have come calling and turned Agger's head would come into it at all? Nope, just blame the owners for absolutely everything, even the stuff they can't control.

Good job selecting only part of my quote.... Cudos! (I assume it didn't all fit your agenda)

He is under contract, we do not need to sell! I don't care if he wants to leave and neither should they ( if they have any ambition for our club ).

It's a slippery slope selling the few world class players we have left... It can easily be contagious...

For 13 million it will be utterly stupid to sell our best defender, and if we do, I think it must have something to do with the costs! We're being quoted 10-15 mill for Allen and Dempsey and we're supposed to get 13 mill for Agger? Fuck that - the club must play hardball and either get 25-30 mill or tell the player to be a professional and stick by his contract....

If we can shift a few more players I would expect us to be in for Butland and Ramirez as well. Not sure who else. Maybe there is something in the Gaitan rumours but that one seems unlikely to me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose one of Skrtel and Agger.