You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

One of my best mates moved to Salt Lake City and has married into a Mormon family. His wife is the only one who isn't a proper Mormon out of them though. But still. I know very little about Mormons. Are they like a cross between Amish and them white cartoon elephants? 

The entire religion is based on the ‘revelations’ found by a convicted thief and kiddy fiddler on golden tablets that only he saw and allowed him loads of wives and money.  Just a cult.  But a rich one. And they wear special underwear.  Fucking mental. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Why different search terms for yourself? Disingenuous much? I did one search of your posts and one only. 

0384EEC8-E52A-4EE3-8154-6730E076EFC5.png

I don’t even know why you’d do that. It’s not like the difference between 105 and 130 is enough to be such a dick about, is it?

I think you missed the point I was making. Those weren't my search results. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The Book of Mormon is fantastic, it lays it all out brilliantly.  

I don’t see the difference between ridiculing political beliefs and ridiculing religious beliefs. I mean, which is dafter believing in a small government and lots of personal responsibility or that if you go to Lourdes the Virgin Mary may appear and cure your cancer. 

In the US the biggest supporters of small government were also the most vocal about Edward Snowden being a traitor for exposing the over reaching of government power. It's almost like people pick the hill they're going to die on even though they can change it whenever they want. Picking a political side and not being willing to change no matter the contradictions that expose your stance is as dogmatic as any religious belief. I find the whole left, right thing to be bollocks. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

In the US the biggest supporters of small government were also the most vocal about Edward Snowden being a traitor for exposing the over reaching of government power. It's almost like people pick the hill they're going to die on even though they can change it whenever they want. Picking a political side and not being willing to change no matter the contradictions that expose your stance is as dogmatic as any religious belief. I find the whole left, right thing to be bollocks. 

One word - Greed. 

Your political and moral alignment generally relies on your level of greed. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Good post

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

#metoo. But apparently picking bits from either side makes you a centrist, which is worse than a Nazi.  

(Reading that in the voice of Philomena Cunk makes it work better) 

37 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I honestly don’t think that’s baffling at all. The patriots are generally right wing; they support small government, hate immigrants (rich ones because they steal their jobs and poor ones because they drain resources), and hate paying tax.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

(Sigh)

I wish TLW would publish an approved reading and listening list. We know that the MSM can’t be trusted, podcasts make you kill kids, the BBC makes you fuck them. Twitter is an echo chamber full of Nazis and Facebook is poison. 

So, if it wasn’t for the Canary and Skwarkbox we wouldn’t know anything! 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

(Sigh)

I wish TLW would publish an approved reading and listening list. We know that the MSM can’t be trusted, podcasts make you kill kids, the BBC makes you fuck them. Twitter is an echo chamber full of Nazis and Facebook is poison. 

You could just use independent thought?

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes Vladimirllyich. 

I don’t need any help to know that there is no man in the sky, no flying horses who split the moon and no space ghosts in volcanoes.  

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No thought is independent, it’s based on a collective accumulation of knowledge, perhaps it builds on previous ideas, but it is never truly objective as it’s bound and linked, by and to, shared human experience.

• Upvote 2

Haha. 

I'm still having a little giggle at someone being sad enough to tally posts. So sad. 

Even worse when you try to lump all posts together and strip them of all context, such as them probably being neutral and not pro or anti Muslim and likely being a response to yet another unprompted, spontaneous and bilious post about Islam/Muslims by the forums two Tommy Robinsons. 

On the subject of Israel and people not being critical of other countries, why does it get overlooked that the Trump and Tory threads are often on the first page of the general forum? People, including those who are the subject of blatant lies about only ever criticising Israel, are regularly critical of their own country and the States in those two threads. But, that doesn't count, for some reason? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Haha. 

I'm still having a little giggle at someone being sad enough to tally posts. So sad. 

Even worse when you try to lump all posts together and strip them of all context, such as them probably being neutral and not pro or anti Muslim and likely being a response to yet another unprompted, spontaneous and bilious post about Islam/Muslims by the forums two Tommy Robinsons. 

On the subject of Israel and people not being critical of other countries, why does it get overlooked that the Trump and Tory threads are often on the first page of the general forum? People, including those who are the subject of blatant lies about only ever criticising Israel, are regularly critical of their own country and the States. But, that doesn't count, for some reason? 

So NOW context is important. Phew.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

(Sigh)

It was an attempt at a joke that didn’t really work, sorry about that.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s all in the same survey. 1 in 5 on Sharia, although it does also say 88% of Muslims think the U.K. is good place to live.  

The surveys that explain which aspects of Sharia law they're referring to make it quite clear that the emphasis is on civil issues like divorce and banking; and even then it's a minority. 

You've still not provided any evidence to show that it would be reasonable to assume that a person supports FGM, honour killings or (the worst aspects of) Sharia law.

Personally, if I wanted to know someone's opinions on stuff, I'd ask them their opinions on stuff; asking their religion and guessing at what they are "likely" to think seems daft, at best. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Now I did a few forum searches, and I have mentioned the word "Islam" 105 times and "Christianity" 11 times. Rico has mentioned the word "Muslims" 78 times and the word "Christians" 8 times. So we're clearly obsessed.

Oh wait a minute, that wasn't the figures for me and Rico - it was the figures for Angry and Nelly. 

Oh, mate.

Maybe take a moment to consider what you're doing with your life.

• Upvote 1

Googled Yasmine Mohamed and quite surprisingly her second image is with Sam Harris and the one below that is our non-terrorist Majid. Surely to God there must be people that have the same background as Yasmine and Majid that don't look to profiteer from a religion they now seemingly hate?

24 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Googled Yasmine Mohamed and quite surprisingly her second image is with Sam Harris and the one below that is our non-terrorist Majid. Surely to God there must be people that have the same background as Yasmine and Majid that don't look to profiteer from a religion they now seemingly hate?

See, now you’ve fallen into a trap there.  Yasmine is an apostate and if I remember rightly has received death threats.  Did you listen to the podcast or just jump to a conclusion. Majid is a practicing Muslim, so how he hates it is beyond me.  

Edit: maybe he’s not the right type of Muslim? 

16 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Maajid Nawaz is one greasy twat. He’s genuinely vile.

15 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Nice line on the profiteering though. You know that woman who escaped from the Westboro Baptist’s? Is she the best person to talk about her experience with religious extremism or should she just be quiet? 

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The surveys that explain which aspects of Sharia law they're referring to make it quite clear that the emphasis is on civil issues like divorce and banking; and even then it's a minority. 

You've still not provided any evidence to show that it would be reasonable to assume that a person supports FGM, honour killings or (the worst aspects of) Sharia law.

Personally, if I wanted to know someone's opinions on stuff, I'd ask them their opinions on stuff; asking their religion and guessing at what they are "likely" to think seems daft, at best. 

Now this creates a very interesting dilemma.  You now acknowledge that there’s evidence that UK Muslims views on homosexuality aren’t in line with modern thinking (I think you used the word atrocious).  You also advocate asking individuals of their views.  So, are you going to ask any Muslims you encounter their individual views on the subject as you suggest?  I bet you aren’t.   You’ll do what I do, accept it’s possible and just get on with things. 

You didn't say you'll "accept it's possible" that they support FGM, honour killings, etc.  You said it's "likely" that they do.

It's clear by now that you've got nothing to back that claim up.  All the evidence provided suggests that it's more than likely that they don't support that evil shit. 

So, let's resolve the dilemma.  I've acknowledged that there is evidence that Muslims tend to have more homophobic views than the rest of the population.  You similarly admit that you were wrong to say it's "likely" that they support FGM, honour killings and the worst aspects of Sharia law and we can just shake hands and get on with our lives.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Simply because this would put them on the same footing as Jews who have the Beth Din, which have been knocking about since the 1700s. Albeit I’d prefer neither and have them sort it out in our normal courts.