You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Luis Suárez makes 'offensive gesture' at Fulham fans

Iceman

Luis Suarez is one of the most entertaining players I have seen play for us for some time and I don't want him to change anything about his character. The worst he has done in nearly a year here is flail his arms about and show a bit of dissent to the ref and assistants, which most players do anyway.

He does NOT dive and I can't believe there are some here saying he does, FFS, he's got no chance if his own team supporters are calling him a diver! What game was it he stayed on his feet in the penalty area (after Slur Alex's slanderous comment about him being a cheating diver) when he was clearly fouled? Like others have said he only goes down when there is contact. He is a very clever player and makes that contact happen, but that's because he is so quick with his feet and his mind. It's already been said he has a winning mentality and you are never going to neuter that. He may mature a little and chill out as he gets older, but in my opinion there isn't much of a problem there anyway. He wants to fecking win every game and shows 100% commitment all the time he is on the pitch, no matter who we are playing, and that's pretty unique for a player with so much skill and good technique.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

I think he has to be punished, if he isn't then the message is that it's ok for players to do it and that could lead to a really bad situation. Imagine this happening in a more volatile fixture like v's the mancs...

It's not a witch hunt or victimisation in this particular case, he gave them the finger and there's photographic evidence. Even if no fans make a complaint it needs to be dealt with unfortunately.

I don't mind players having a bit of an attitude, but when it starts to affect your game, then i think it's a problem, which is becoming the case with Luis imo. Best way to shove all this crap down everyone's throats is to show that it's not getting to you.

But something seems wrong when fans can get away with shouting all sorts of disgusting things, yet THIS is what makes back page news, and in all likelihood will result in a ban.

I think he has to be punished, if he isn't then the message is that it's ok for players to do it and that could lead to a really bad situation. Imagine this happening in a more volatile fixture like v's the mancs...

It's not a witch hunt or victimisation in this particular case, he gave them the finger and there's photographic evidence. Even if no fans make a complaint it needs to be dealt with unfortunately.

But Gary Neville done the same in a semi-final against Manchester City, and he got fuck all except a cheap warning not to do it again.

If the FA punish Suarez then its proof that the FA have one set of rules for English players and another set of rules for the "nasty, dirty, cheating" foreigners.

Guest ShoePiss
But Gary Neville done the same in a semi-final against Manchester City, and he got fuck all except a cheap warning not to do it again.

If the FA punish Suarez then its proof that the FA have one set of rules for English players and another set of rules for the "nasty, dirty, cheating" foreigners.

I don't think so, ratboy was fined when he ran the length of the pitch to celebrated in front of our away support at old trafford.

I don't know about what he did against City, he gave them the finger?

Luis Suarez is one of the most entertaining players I have seen play for us for some time and I don't want him to change anything about his character. The worst he has done in nearly a year here is flail his arms about and show a bit of dissent to the ref and assistants, which most players do anyway.

He does NOT dive and I can't believe there are some here saying he does, FFS, he's got no chance if his own team supporters are calling him a diver! What game was it he stayed on his feet in the penalty area (after Slur Alex's slanderous comment about him being a cheating diver) when he was clearly fouled? Like others have said he only goes down when there is contact. He is a very clever player and makes that contact happen, but that's because he is so quick with his feet and his mind. It's already been said he has a winning mentality and you are never going to neuter that. He may mature a little and chill out as he gets older, but in my opinion there isn't much of a problem there anyway. He wants to fecking win every game and shows 100% commitment all the time he is on the pitch, no matter who we are playing, and that's pretty unique for a player with so much skill and good technique.

Spot on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Im far more offended by the lack of quality and consistency of those officiating the game than I am when a player sticks his finger out or acts a bit out of turn.

How many goals has he scored again? 4 goals in 13 games and 1 assist.

He is an exciting little player but the problem is he don't score enough goals and he gets frustrated easily. He should really calm down and Kenny should give him at least a couple of weeks rest.

His hand gesture and the alleged racist comment doesn't help him at all. We don't know what his problem is but he really has an anger issue and this isn't the first time. He needs to sort himself out to be a better player.

Im far more offended by the lack of quality and consistency of those officiating the game than I am when a player sticks his finger out or acts a bit out of turn.

The officiating this year, as a whole, has been fucking shocking. Have you ever seen so many 'overturned' red cards in a season, before?

It's crazy how bad the referees have been, and you've even got Referees talking to the media and saying that they've made a mistake.

I wonder how the higher ups will respond to all this... I think this league has the worst officiating of any league that I've seen regularly. That includes Russian/Ukrainian ones... which is scary, considering those refs aren't about to say no to a 'monitary gift' before a match.

Can't believe we are not up in arms about Speos red. It's a shocker of a card and we should be immediately appealing it.

We have no chance Johnny!

It is unfortunately a matter of interpretation and there is no way the FA will back us. Just accept it and move on.

FA decision on Suarez's latest spat due today - Premier League - Football - The Independent

A few weeks after he arrived at Liverpool last January, Luis Suarez expressed his heartfelt wish that he would forge a reputation as something other than the cut-throat of Johannesburg and the cannibal of Ajax. He no longer wished to be the player remembered only for denying Ghana a place in the World Cup semi-finals or biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal.

"I would love to change that impression of me," he said. Charged with issuing racist abuse of Patrice Evra when Manchester United visited Anfield in October and under investigation by the Football Association for directing an obscene gesture towards Fulham fans as he trudged from the field after Monday's 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage: it is fair to say that hope has not turned out as planned.

Suarez, currently preparing a defence believed to be based on linguistic nuance to the allegation of racism, is expected to be told today whether he is to face a second charge in two weeks over Monday night's incident. The FA's Governance and Regulation Committee were last night examining images, taken from the ground's Putney End, which appear to show Suarez reacting to the taunts of the home fans by raising the middle finger of his left hand.

It is not certain, as yet, whether the Uruguayan will face a charge and, if so, what the offence may be deemed to have been. Punishments for similar offences have varied wildly: Birmingham's Stephen Carr was banned for one game for an obscene gesture directed at Aston Villa supporters last year, while Joey Barton was given just a £2,000 fine in 2006 for dropping his shorts to Everton fans. A host of players – including Raul Meireles and Emmanuel Frimpong – have escaped without censure for such offences, while Wayne Rooney was banned for two games this year for swearing into a television camera.

Suarez retains the full support of his club on both issues and is not likely to face any internal disciplinary measures, with his manager Kenny Dalglish suggesting in the immediate aftermath of the game that his striker should be afforded some "protection" from fans' abuse.

That has as much to do with his reputation as a feigner of receiving fouls as the incidents with Ghana, Evra or Bakkal. Indeed, it was the sustained taunts of "cheat" from Fulham's supporters which appeared to rile him into response on Monday. The frustration apparently felt by opposing fans at his theatrics, though, has not yet spread to his fellow professionals.

"It does not matter if it is diving or not, but if we feel that a foul is not a free-kick then we will tell him," said John-Arne Riise, the former Liverpool defender, now with Fulham. "He is a really good player. He just has to play his game. He is lively, it is hard to know where you have him because of his movement and because he always gets his body in the way.

"Yes, he gets frustrated [with physical challenges], but that shows his character. We have to get in hard on him and get on top of him, because if we try to be nice to him he will kill the game off, so you have to be tough. But while he gets frustrated – you could see that three or four times during the game – it goes away quickly, because he is a professional."

Guest davelfc

rooney the potato headed twat got 2 games for seeking out a camera and telling everyone at home to 'fuck off, fuck off'

Suarez flicked the finger at fans no doubt doing a lot more to him, I would expect a warning, possibly a suspended 1 match ban. Any more and it will be wrong. Kenny told Wenger to 'piss off' and it was seen in context as part of the passion and emotions that go with the game. Same with Suarez, he was wrong but in context it is understandable.

Guest davelfc
It would be nice to see some consistency from the FA, but whatever they do we won't. As for those saying he should be punished:

flipping-the-bird.jpg

I will expect Admin to investigate your obscene gesture with a view to a three day ban.

I'm expecting a 5 match ban, under the banner of 'bringing the game into disrepute', and it encompassing both the finger gesture and the Evra case.
I don't expect anything...

Beckham did the same thing (middle finger) while wearing an England shirt back in the Portugal euro's 2000? to the England fans who was giving him stick, the FA nor FIFA did anything about it....