You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Luis Suárez makes 'offensive gesture' at Fulham fans

Iceman

Liverpool's Luis Suárez makes 'offensive gesture' at Fulham fans | Football | The Guardian

The Liverpool striker Luis Suárez could face a misconduct charge after appearing to make an offensive gesture towards Fulham fans at the end of his team's 1-0 defeat here on Monday night.

Suárez, who has been charged by the Football Association over allegations that he racially abused Manchester United's Patrice Evra in October, which he denies, was pictured apparently responding to supporters as he walked towards the tunnel after the match.

The Uruguay international was subjected to chants of "cheat" after the referee, Kevin Friend, turned down a penalty appeal when he went over after a challenge by Brede Hangeland in the second half. The FA will wait for the official's match report before deciding whether to act.

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, admitted he could be forced to talk to Suárez about his conduct following the latest controversy but angrily hit back over the fans' abuse. "I haven't seen the picture and I'm not taking anybody's word for it," said Dalglish. "If you show me the picture and I'm convinced that what you're saying is true, then I've got a decision to make. But until you have proved it is true to me, I won't comment."

In response to Fulham supporters branding Suárez a "cheat", Dalglish said: "That's scandalous. I would like to see you write that in the paper because you would be in a bit of trouble as well. You write what you want to write. At the end of the day, we will look after Luis the best we can and I think it is about time he got a wee bit of protection from some people."

Ironically, Fulham's Chris Baird was charged by the FA with using an abusive gesture towards a match official in the corresponding fixture last season after he showed the referee Lee Mason a V-sign. The defender was given a two-match ban. Wayne Rooney was famously banned for two games last season for swearing into a television camera after celebrating a goal at West Ham United.

Liverpool may appeal against Jay Spearing's red card after the midfielder was sent off for a two-footed challenge on Moussa Dembélé after 72 minutes. The match was goalless at the time, with Clint Dempsey's winner coming in the 85th minute.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He obviously gets frustrated easily which is really good in one way that he cares so much but it also can get him in trouble. tbh it would be pretty fucked up to get in much trouble for this. Rooney got 2 games for swearing into a camera that was broadcast to millions around the world.

Yes but you haven't mentioned the vital factor Beantown, mate. One of those players has a devil on his shirt and has Satan for a manager.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame him if he leaves for Spain in the summer. He's getting it in the neck from more or less everyone at the moment, that's not a good environment in which to play your football. A lot of fat, worthless English cretins had piously cast judgment after the World Cup handball - what would have been a passionate, heroic move from a John Terry or Phil Jones (who was recently praised for making the most of a foul) was instead endemic of the cheating which soils the foreign game.

Add to that the fact that we are not challengers for a top four berth, and I don't think you could blame him. I'll tell you now, Lionel Messi would have terrible problems in this country.

I don't think anyone can question the fact that England getting bombed out early in Euro 2012 would be fantastic for European football, and that the same thing happening over and over again until a proper rethink & overhaul would be the most positive outcome for the game both domestically and at international level.

Edited by TheDrowningMan

He obviously gets frustrated easily which is really good in one way that he cares so much but it also can get him in trouble. tbh it would be pretty fucked up to get in much trouble for this. Rooney got 2 games for swearing into a camera that was broadcast to millions around the world.

Easily?We hit the post twice, one wrongly disallowed goal, one wrong red card, we didnt get a penalty, and playing next to Carrol.... If I were him I would be so frustrated that I would have kung fu kicked the fucking muppets for calling me a cheat during 90 mins!

He will be banned ofc. Sadly

Doesn't help himself does he though! Got this fucking racism thing hanging over him, he's getting a reputation as a diver thanks to Whisky Nose (..and partly down to his own histrionics when he does or DOESN'T get fouled) and now he does this. Fucking hell Luis love ya as a player but cut this shit out! If he played for Man U you know we'd hate him for all this crap!