You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In 10 years tv presenters will be wearing giant poppies on their faces in September.

Does my head in everybody trying to out-poppy each other, the minutes silences in the offices as well, we didn't have them a few years ago and everyone was perfectly aware that people were killed in two World wars then.

Faux grief is an epidemic in this fucking country.

• Upvote 3

Is poppy part fo the effort to rebrand WWI as the good war too, there seems to be more and more of that in recent years? It worked well for the WWII, thanks to the Nazis.

I always find that commemorations of the World Wars, by "winners" like England and Australia, still tend to patronise and forget the "losers", who lost just as many innocent and decent lives.

The poppy, sadly, remains nothing more than our various nationalist conceits.

Unfortunately, I think we're being caught up in a rising tide of Americanised jingoism surrounding the armed forces. Things like those TV awards and newspaper awards.

Seriously, we have a shed load of ex-servicemen who have lost limbs or who are psychologically damaged. Instead of giving them two minutes on TV and a little plaque, how about giving them the proper medical and psychological aftercare they need.

And stop trying to celebrate war. It's a sometimes necessary evil. It's bad enough when it's necessary, but stop trying to be righteous over military interventions we shouldn't have undertaken in the first place.

• Upvote 6

I saw a rather shit poem on Facebook before about a little boy who's dad died in Helmand Province. Then it said his dad was a hero for fighting for our freedom. I don't think fighting in Afghanistan was anything to do with the freedom of UK citizens.

He probably really helped settle some old tribal scores though. He won't have realised though, as everyone that shot at them, or even returned fire, was obviously just Taliban.

They should slap a 5p charge on those little poppies like they do on plastic bags. I dread to think of the environmental cost of millions of the things going to landfill every year.

Indeed.  

At least the millions of people expended managed to decompose and regenerate the earth.  Pretty generous and accommodating, are the needlessly dead.

• Upvote 1

He probably really helped settle some old tribal scores though. He won't have realised though, as everyone that shot at them, or even returned fire, was obviously just Taliban.

And commemorating those killed in Afghanistan by wearing a poppy should be highly controversial since, according to the Curtis' documentary you mentioned the other day, they were probably killed over controlling the fields poppies grow on.