You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your thoughts on the campaign and the reflection on Armistice day?

I ask because I'm questioning if like me you're seeing people who've lost the true reflection of it's meaning. The facebook wankathon has begun, the number of profile changes are up, the same way with most things, the more you are seen to be supporting it the better the human being you think you are.

I give but I don't wear a poppy. I'm not into the whole "look at me I've given to charity" effort that goes on.

The number of people with status on FB along the lines of "2 MEN JAILED FOR PAINTING A POPPY ON A MOSQUE THIS IS A DISGRACE ARE YOU BRAVE ENOUGH TO POST THIS????" is embarrassing and depressing.

I get really emotional when I see one of the old fellas holding their tin collecting and always try and have a little chat. Whenever they thank me I always instead thank them for their sacrifices.

I hate how it's been overtaken by BNP and EDL as well as Mulsim groups who are both as bad as each other.

That was a rambling post...I'm hungover

• Upvote 1

The poppy has been hijacked and most of what it stood for has been forgotten.

I don't buy a poppy these days. If they were to separate it from our present day forces and have it as a tribute solely to World War veterans, I still would. I no longer wear a poppy because I don't believe in supporting mercenaries in the Middle East.

If anyone is offended by that they can pack their bags and fuck off back where they came from.

I've dealt with this in previous years - why I won't wear a poppy and why I won't support the British Legion (I see the two a synonomous given where the proceeds go). I do not see respecting soldiers who've fought for the UK, and supporting the poppy appeal, as intertwined. I'm not going into those reasons again - just do a search.

Wearing a poppy last week and next and there is one attached to the back of my motorbike.

I'll be honest, I'm thinking about WW1 and 2 rather than Iraq etc. I guess the reason I feel more sympathy with the veterans of those wars is that many were conscripted whereas people in Iraq or Afghanistan are there as a career choice.

I don't want to sound like a heartless bastard but when they show parents of a soldier in Iraq on telly, I want to remind them that he was in the Army of his own free will, probably because it seemed a wise career choice and yes, you might die in the Army. They of course deserve all the same treatment and care as veterans from any war when they leave the army, but I can't get that same level of sympathy I have for world war veterans.

It just reminded me of the Simpson's quote from Armand Tanzarian / Skinner:

"They gave me a choice. Jail, the army, or apologizing to the judge and the

old lady. Of course, if I had known there was a war going on, I probably

would've apologized."

The facebook thing, well it's one of the many things on there that annoy me, along with putting messages to dead relatives (MISS U DAD UR IN HEVAN LOOKN DOWN ON US SITTING NEXT 2 JESUS XOXOXO) and dickheads who fall for the 'facebook is going to start charging £1 a month' hoaxes.

I bought one of those little enamel ones a few years ago,but i still put a quid in a collecting box if i have any spare cash on me.

Im no royalist,and i dont always agree with conflicts we as a country end up in,but i do support the individual service man/woman, having known quite a few serving and ex.forces personnel

I wear a poppy because I like to mate martyrs of poor uneducated young men that are sent to fight in bullshit wars on the other side of the world, and then never make it home. I think my wearing the poppy I can somehow glorify their needless death and encourage other young people from the lower social classes to follow their lead and give their own life in a similar manner.

Oh no, I don't.

Good thread. It has now been absorbed into some kind of faux cheap-ass nationalism which isn't far removed from the 'Millies', which is a heartbreaker really. When you get the kind of people on Facebook with poppies as profile pictures who are also the same people who post warnings about how Facebook is going to start charging you £10 a day starting from midnight tonight, you know shit's gone badly wrong.

I wear a poppy because I like to mate martyrs of poor uneducated young men that are sent to fight in bullshit wars on the other side of the world, and then never make it home. I think my wearing the poppy I can somehow glorify their needless death and encourage other young people from the lower social classes to follow their lead and give their own life in a similar manner.

Oh no, I don't.

I dont wear one but I put a couple of quid in the box to hopefully help some lad with no legs who fights on your behalf to ensure petrol isn't £20 a litre

I dont wear one but I put a couple of quid in the box to hopefully help some lad with no legs who fights on your behalf to ensure petrol isn't £20 a litre

Well, that is an interesting point. Do you really think people would go and fight in wars if they were told it was to keep the price of petrol down? Maybe we could wear a mini petrol pump instead of a poppy, y'know it would be more symbolic.

I'd happily pay £20 a litre if that's what meant that none of these poor bastards were going off to fight in these bullshit wars.

As individuals I don't wish any harm to them, quite the opposite, but I refuse to make martyrs of them which then perpetuates the problem.

Well, that is an interesting point. Do you really think people would go and fight in wars if they were told it was to keep the price of petrol down? Maybe we could wear a mini petrol pump instead of a poppy, y'know it would be more symbolic.

I'd happily pay £20 a litre if that's what meant that none of these poor bastards were going off to fight in these bullshit wars.

As individuals I don't wish any harm to them, quite the opposite, but I refuse to make martyrs of them which then perpetuates the problem.

Your kidding yourself. If petrol was £20 a litre you would be practically begging Jeremy Kyle to send his 'contestants' to be brave and go and fight for king and country and get petrol down to £10 a litre

Your kidding yourself. If petrol was £20 a litre you would be practically begging Jeremy Kyle to send his 'contestants' to be brave and go and fight for king and country and get petrol down to £10 a litre

Isn't about £1 of a £1.30 litre or petrol composed of various forms of tax? Maybe we should send the Paras after the Government instead - that's a war I'd get behind.

You don't seriously believe that, do you? They sell oil at a fraction of the cost that we end up paying for it.

If those oil fields were in the US instead of the middle east, how much do you think the yanks would be charging us? If the oil was being pumped from under the houses of parliament it would be even more!

Don't yolu hate it when you get negged with "Do shut up you bore" instead of someone actually trying to debate their opinion instead.

Fair point I will address why I negged.

I'm just sick of the same kind of argument from you (I think it's you anyway, your name sticks in my head regarding this kind of issue) This thread will doubtless end up in a 5 page effort about oil, invasions, and mocking of those who support the military and those who are in it, not to mention someone usually throws in how people deserve to die for being a part of the military machine.

"Oh do shut up you bore" was the first thing that popped into my head when I foresaw where this thread was going to head.

Meh, side tracked thread.

I was bitching about the poppy being used almost like a fashion accessory for this time of year, something to be seen in that portrays you as a 'good' person.

I only wear one on the 11th and remembrance Sunday. My great grandfather fought in WW1 as many other grand fathers fought in WW1 and WW2. I reflect on the sacrifice people have made, my an used to tell me stories and we'd go to church together or when she became to ill sit and watch the service on the TV not as i've just seen on face ache....

**** really wants a poppy ring that everyone on Xfactor was wearing last night!!

I'm bitching for bitchings sake, surely it's not something that should be glorified but a sombre reminder?

It has slowly moved from a symbol of rememberance of the WW veterans to an all encompassing fashion accessory of support for "our boys".

The modern trend of supporting anything or more importantly being seen to support upsets me greatly.

It also now seems the larger the poppy the better.

Is it a coincidence as the wars have gotten worse/drawn out/illegal the pro forces propaganda has kicked in? Whilst I would like to thing so, I am too cynical to believe so. That is why unfortunately any tread on wearing a poppy, or supporting our boys, or watching the military awards will be side tracked as nowadys it is not a black or white issue.

I think if we are talking about remembering people who have fallen in wars, then the validity of modern wars is entirely valid. I used to wear the poppy in rememberance of those that died in World War I & II. I don't wear it now because I feel that in recent years the poppy appeal has been hijacked as a nationalist agenda, and also used to try and justify the more recent phoney wars. I hate seeing adverts glorifying joining the army, the use of the word hero etc. I am sure there are acts of heroism in war, but I hate to see it glorified because people's sons and daughters will be taken in by it all & will end up killed or maimed.

I dont wear one,more out of laziness than anything else to be honest.

I do pop a few pence in the jars but dont have a clue where its going.

I do also primarily think of WW1 and 2 when doing so as i lost relatives in both of those wars,more in air raids than on the battlefield in all honesty.

I respect all soldiers who enter a conflict,on both sides and see them as pawns of greedy politicians and businessmen for whom either a piece of barren land or a barrel of oil is worth far more than the life of somebodys,dad,mum,son,daughter etc.

While i understand the difference between the conscripts of the world wars and the soldiers of todays conflicts i still believe todays squaddies are forced into the forces in a kind of mental conscription.

And to go back to your point Sherry,yes it has been hijacked by 15 yr olds who do it as a sort of status symbol rather than for its true meaning.

I don't think it's sidetracked, it's a legitimate debate. What if you have unwavering support for WW veterans, yet are vehemently opposed to the war of terror? Should or shouldn't you support the British Legion? Should there be separate funds for each conflict?

I don't believe there should be funds for either. Given how shit our governments have been means that there are. It's now become the war you fought in was unjust therefore you're not getting any of my money for you to cope with your injury. Why is it not acceptable to throw money into a pot that benefits those who are recovering from horrific injuries in any war yet we throw money into a pot for those that suffer cancer for instance? That pot doesn't differentiate that those who developed it from a self inflicted form don't benefit do they?

It has slowly from a symbol of rememberance of the WW veterans to an all encompassing fashion accessory of support for "our boys".

The modern trend of supporting anything or more importantly being seen to support upsets me greatly.

It also now seems the larger the poppy the better.

Is it a coincidence as the wars have gotten worse/drawn out/illegal the pro forces propaganda has kicked in? Whilst I would like to thing so, I am too cynical to believe so. That is why unfortunately any tread on wearing a poppy, or supporting our boys, or watching the military awards will be side tracked as nowadys it is not a black or white issue.

Repped.

I think if we are talking about remembering people who have fallen in wars, then the validity of modern wars is entirely valid. I used to wear the poppy in rememberance of those that died in World War I & II. I don't wear it now because I feel that in recent years the poppy appeal has been hijacked as a nationalist agenda, and also used to try and justify the more recent phoney wars. I hate seeing adverts glorifying joining the army, the use of the word hero etc. I am sure there are acts of heroism in war, but I hate to see it glorified because people's sons and daughters will be taken in by it all & will end up killed or maimed.

Eloquently put.

I don't believe there should be funds for either. Given how shit our governments have been means that there are. It's now become the war you fought in was unjust therefore you're not getting any of my money for you to cope with your injury. Why is it not acceptable to throw money into a pot that benefits those who are recovering from horrific injuries in any war yet we throw money into a pot for those that suffer cancer for instance? That pot doesn't differentiate that those who developed it from a self inflicted form don't benefit do they?

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, though nobody ever developed cancer as a direct result of them murdering innocent people. If that was the case, I'd stop giving to cancer research too.