You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keegan

Guest LFD

no, mate rushie was "political", after the heysel...

keegan said he he wanted to improve.. from the best club in europe??? went for £££££.

macca..not sure really but did win things at real...

owen... left to win things?? yeh, done sweet fa..but got a league medal with the dung... well done son.... wasted little shit...

torres... lets wait and see... loved tha fella, but under woy, could you blame him?

to hermes... if you put keegan in the same bracket as stevie, kenny and barnes, you mustnt have seen... phil neal, carra, cally, thommo, hansen, etc,etc.... 6 years with us...

then did diddly squat.........

we got 500,000

for him... spent 440,000 on kenny.... sums it up!!!!!!

Worst post I've ever read, especially the bold bit.

Keegan the player was before my time but I remember him managing Newcastle the first time with affection. He was entertaining and tried to make an entertaining team.

I read his autobiography twice and he came across as a nice guy. You never read any scandal about his personal life which you cannot say about some people.

To Hermes who said that Keegan was more consistent than John Barnes, I just said that I never saw Keegan play but I remember Barnes very well and he was very very consistent for us until he got his bad injuries when he was older. From 1987-1991 he was as consistent in a Liverpool shirt as we had. He was not a player who had 1 amazing game followed by 5 terrible ones. He was a completely different type of player to a Gerrard but in my view Barnes was as consistent as Gerrard, Keegan or anyone.

Agreed.

The only bit I disagree with is I think Owen is worse than Torres. We produced Owen, developed him and he had a lot of freinds at the club. He shat on all of us and we got a fraction of his transfer value at the time because he ran his contract down.

Torres wasn't developed at our club and we got a massive fee for him.

Its a tough one isn't it - who do we hate more FT or Owen? - and I am not going to fall out with you about it.

I hear what you say and it is true but thats no thanks to FT - thats thanks to those at our club negotiating a good deal.

I remember that Friday just before the window closed when there were rumours that CFC had put in a bid (yet again) for FT and going on forums sticking up for him and saying stuff like 'there is no way he will ever leave, have you not listened what he has said countless times?....etc'. Then early evening it came out that he had asked for a transfer and said he wanted to go to Chelsea. I didn't want to believe it and thought it was just journos with an anti LFC agenda but the more you learnt the more it became clear it clearly wasn't and he had in fact said it. I really don't think I have ever felt more betrayed and tbh it made me look stupid on the forums as it made my posts look stupid. Also the timing of it giving us next to no time to get a replacement - if he felt that way why not ask at the start of the window? The fact that under Kenny we were getting our act together and he just (as Aldo says) spat in our faces as fans made me totally disgusted when you know how much our fans had idolised him and how he had talked back about his LFC love - which was shown to be lies. Shocking - and to me unforgiveable.

And yes Owen is as bad in a way too I agree - lets say they were as bad as each other!!

What the younger posters might not realise (I'm not being patronising here) is that Keegan was like a god when he was here - in many ways more than Kenny, because he was the only real superstar (in every sense) the club had, and all the focus was on him. His profile was bigger than any other player in the country. As Hermes said, he always produced. When he left, and Kenny arrived, the club went onto bigger things, but Keegan was a fantastic player from his debut to his last match. In fact his last match was one of the greatest ever performances in a red shirt.

I too am old enough to remember Keegan the player - I remember going to a friendly the reserves played at Tranmere the Saturday before the season started in 1971 and Keegan was the stand out player by a mile. The next Saturday he played for the first team on the first day of the season V Notts Forest which didn't surprise me and my Dad but most other fans probably wondered who was this lad Shanks was picking - and the rest is history!!

After 5 years of playing great overall (and yes Hermes he was consistent - and was the main man in the team too) in the summer of 1976 he said that he wanted to leave LFC and go abroad to play. This was unheard of at the time and that created a stir amongst our fans. They had never had this before - an idol wanting to leave at the peak of his career and in his last 12 months his name was rarely chanted and there seemed a coolness between him and the fans.

Anyway on May 25th 1977 in Rome it all came good when we won the European Cup for the first time and Keegan had a great game but maybe cos of leaving in the way he did he lost some of the earlier adultation which he had had.

Some younger fans may not know those facts - sorry for boring the older ones among you who if you supported the club in the 70s would probably know it all.

In Bob Paisley's autobiography he pretty much says that Keegan's final season 1976-77 his head wasn't right as he knew he was off and apart from Rome when he had a great match and we won the Cup his season was very poor and he had the Anfield crowd on his back most of the time. He did only score 12 League goals in 1976-77.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but that comment about Torres under Hodgson has set me seething. Fuck him, the horrible prick. There's no excuse for not showing for the ball like he was, regardless of who the manager was.

The worst thing was then coming here after a disappointing game and then seeing people complaining 'he's not getting any service under Woy' when it was painfully clear that he wasn't arsed one little tiny bit.

Fuck Fernando Torres and fuck Roy Hodgson.

And yes, I'm still a little bit drunk from last night.

The first match I saw Keegan play a full 90 minutes, was coming back from Wembley one year, and watching the 74 cup final on video

I'd always thought he just worked hard, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player who worked as hard as him in that match.

I also seem to recall someone telling me, that a reason he, wasn't thought of that highly when he left, was that he said, that the only team he'd come back to play when he left Germany, was United.

Was that true?

I too am old enough to remember Keegan the player - I remember going to a friendly the reserves played at Tranmere the Saturday before the season started in 1971 and Keegan was the stand out player by a mile. The next Saturday he played for the first team on the first day of the season V Notts Forest which didn't surprise me and my Dad but most other fans probably wondered who was this lad Shanks was picking - and the rest is history!!

After 5 years of playing great overall (and yes Hermes he was consistent - and was the main man in the team too) in the summer of 1976 he said that he wanted to leave LFC and go abroad to play. This was unheard of at the time and that created a stir amongst our fans. They had never had this before - an idol wanting to leave at the peak of his career and in his last 12 months his name was rarely chanted and there seemed a coolness between him and the fans.

Anyway on May 25th 1977 in Rome it all came good when we won the European Cup for the first time and Keegan had a great game but maybe cos of leaving in the way he did he lost some of the earlier adultation which he had had.

Some younger fans may not know those facts - sorry for boring the older ones among you who if you supported the club in the 70s would probably know it all.

I was at that tranmere game. Me and my mate went in full Liverpool kit including footy boots! Oh to be a kid again. Keegan did indeed stand out and he had legs like tree trunks as I remember.

Didn't tommy smith give him a black eye accusing him of not trying properly in the Fa cup final?

I remember going away to stoke one season and Keegan missed an absolute sitter and we drew. All our yesterday's.

The first match I saw Keegan play a full 90 minutes, was coming back from Wembley one year, and watching the 74 cup final on video

I'd always thought he just worked hard, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player who worked as hard as him in that match.

I also seem to recall someone telling me, that a reason he, wasn't thought of that highly when he left, was that he said, that the only team he'd come back to play when he left Germany, was United.

Was that true?

I don't ever remember hearing that before MB & I am an old bastard.

I think the reason his star dipped is the more mundane explanation given a few posts earlier, in that it was the first real time we had ever seen a player who wanted to actually leave Liverpool & we were like a spurned boyfriend. As is usually the case a new improved 'girlfriend' in Kenny arrived and we more or less put the dismay to one side.

We actually walloped Hamburg 6-0 or 6-1 at Anfield in a Super Cup tie & we ragged Kevin something ruthless that night which may also have upset him a bit.

I wish we had a closer relationship with Kevin now but he still deserves massive respect for being a major plank in gaining us respect after the team had been very ordinary for several years in the late-60's and leading us to our first European trophy and the first few of many 70's and 80's league titles.

( Probably my favourite non-European LFC supporting experience was Molyneux in 1976 )

keegan said he he wanted to improve.. from the best club in europe??? went for £££££.

When Keegan left us we were not the best club in Europe, as fate would have it Kenny's arrival offered us that different dimension which did take us into the Euro elite.

Keegan left because he was driven, ambitious and wanted to broaden his footballing horizons, which for a pro footballer is pretty commendable. Anything that Hamburg offered we could have matched. Insulting him by saying he only left fo the cash is embarrassingly small time.

As an old git, I remember KK arriving, conquering, I was there when he scrapped with BB at Wembley, and him leaving, I have also met him several times subsequently on business.

Keegan was a fantastic player for us whose family came from the collieries of South Yorkshire and he was always a hard worker, and driven.

As a fan I was devastated when he left, now as an older man, I understand, he wanted to experience European football and had the balls, and skill to do it, unlike so many o his contemporaries. That drive set him apart from so many. He achieved what so few Englishmen had achieved back then when he went abroad.

Man to man he is a fantastic guy, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, fond of his time here – and honest. As a player he was quite similar to Suarez, nippy, skilful a nuisance with an eye for goal and not afraid to mix it ( see Leeds!).

The sourness that some of our support show to him baffles me. He gave us 100%, and made us a tidy profit. That another KK arrived was a stroke of good luck, and good judgement. Ironically if Kenny had not come good, I think Keegan’s stock would be even higher.

Xerxes - good post apart from the first para - who then in your opinion were the top team in Europe at that time? - cos my recollection is that we had just won the European Cup - doesn't that count for anything?

Well Bayern Munich had just won three in a row, and Keegan decided he wanted out early doors in that season.

Was looking for a video the Leeds FA cup final when Keegan and Bremner got sent off for having a punch up.

Couldn't find that, but found this interview with him as a youngster at Scunthorpe.

[YOUTUBE]S_KSWseOaaE[/YOUTUBE]

was the charity shield... not a cup final....

Well Bayern Munich had just won three in a row, and Keegan decided he wanted out early doors in that season.

we had just won the league/uefa cup, won the uefa cup 2 years before.. then said he wants to leave...we won the league/european cup with his help... just a pity we lost to the dung at wembley... then he goes to hamburg!!! as i have said, he was a great player for us but after he left us, what did he achieve???

I was only 2 years old when he left us so I haven't really got any insight into him leaving Liverpool. In some of the interviews, although he talks of having some great memories of playing for us, I think he comes across a touch bitter. In his interview on LFC tv I thought at times his body language was really defensive. It's in total contrast with how he talks about his love for Newcastle (that may be a bit different after his second spell there!). Just feel it's a bit weird and possibly stuff happened between him and the club that have soured him. Or maybe I read too much into stuff!