You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez on Ballon d'Or shortlist

Russ Atmosphere

Player nominees: Eric Abidal (France), Sergio Aguero (Argentina), Karim Benzema (France), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Dani Alves (Brazil), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Nani (Portugal), Neymar (Brazil), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Gerard Pique (Spain), Wayne Rooney (England), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands), Luis Suarez (Uruguay), David Villa (Spain), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Xavi (Spain).

Coach nominees: Vicente Del Bosque (Spain/Spain national team), Sir Alex Ferguson (Scotland/Manchester United), Rudi Garcia (France/Lille), Pep Guardiola (Spain/Barcelona), Jurgen Klopp (Germany/Borussia Dortmund), Joachim Loew (Germany/Germany national team), Jose Mourinho (Portugal/Real Madrid), Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay/Uruguay national team), Andre Villas-Boas (Portugal/Porto, Chelsea), Arsene Wenger (France/Arsenal).

Chuffed for Suarez but some of these nominations are a joke:

Eric Abidal (France) - Was ill for most of last season. Might sound bad, but sound like a sumpathy vote IMO.

Karim Benzema (France) - Although he's playing better this season, he's hardly set Madrids alight since they signed him.

Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon) - Inter were gash last season and the fact they've moved him home says it all.

Cesc Fabregas (Spain) - The only contribution to Bottlers XI in the 2nd half of last season was to give Barca an assist to knock Arsenal out of the C/L

Thomas Muller (Germany) - Bayern were poor last season and Germany hardly had the hardest qualifying group for next summer.

Nani (Portugal) - Please

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany) - As Muller

Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands) - Was nowhere near the player last season he was the year before and Inter are well off the pace this season.

Arsene Wenger (France/Arsenal) - Hilarious.

The coaches one is interesting. Although its going to go to Guardiola,Jurgen Klopp of Dortmund did a great job last season to lead Dortmund back to the top of German football with a relatively young team.

Anybody who can overturn Bayern with their spending power deserves plenty of credit methinks.

I think Tabarez has a good chance of getting the managers award. Uruguay got to the semi's of the world cup and won the Copa America , when no-one gave them a chance. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him rewarded as such.

Best manager probably should be between Klopp and Tabarez, but it'll likely be a straight shoot-out between Ferguson and Guardiola.

Laughable that Alonso and Benzema are in there.

Ronaldo vs Messi for World Player of the Year, Ronaldo has scored a shit-ton of goals, but both failed to do much in the World Cup.

I get the feeling that Villa will win it for his inspired World Cup displays.

BBC Sport headline on this is "Rooney on Ballon d'Or shortlist"

These awards are a joke anyway. I'd trust a TLW forum poll more than I would the voters for the Ballon d'Or.

Damn right. Wenger's inclusion is absolutely hilarious as Paulie says. Is Rooney included because of that overhead kick against whoever it was. You know, the same overhead kicks that fly in week in week out across Europe. I can't think of anything (else) remarkable he's done other than threaten to leave then stay for shed loads of cash, then get sent off for his country.

How is it that failure can be met with reward?

Guest SpiderLucas

It should just be titled the biggest names in football, what a bulshit list that is. I can name a host of players that deserve to be on the list. Gotze, Ganso, Hummels, Di Natale, Cavani, Hamsik and Subotic to name but a few. Even somebody like Kevin Prince-Boetang deserves to be on that list more than most of those who actually are.

Players like Abidal, Benzema, Eto’o, Ozil, Muller, Sneijder and Schweinsteiger are on the list on their names alone because none of them had great seasons last year.