You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When are we likely to get definitive stadium news?

Nathanzx

Posted this in the Yamawanko thread by accident. 

I may just be a jaded fucker but I find it funny how the stadium issue suddenly arises again (now that it looks like we aren't making any signings),and just happens to swing into view at a convenient time.

55,000 capacity the mirror reckons. http://www.mirror.co...nfield-3094465?

Seems like a hell of a lot of effort for 10k more seats. Anyone else think we should be going for 60k minumum? 

Posted this in the Yamawanko thread by accident. 

I may just be a jaded fucker but I find it funny how the stadium issue suddenly arises again (now that it looks like we aren't making any signings),and just happens to swing into view at a convenient time.

55,000 capacity the mirror reckons. http://www.mirror.co...nfield-3094465?

Seems like a hell of a lot of effort for 10k more seats. Anyone else think we should be going for 60k minumum? 

I can understand your scepticism  re the timing but I think it could well be a  little bit misguided. I doubt we'd have Steve Rotherham and Joe Anderson getting sucked into the  clubs transfer misfortunes. 

I wouldn't pay to much attention to the Mirror either. Have a look on the Echo's web site. They'll be much more privy to what's going on. The news doesn't surprise me. We had both Werner and JH over for the Villa game. Wouldn't you have thought they'd have waited for the Everton game ? Unless of course they had other business to conclude.

Says it'll be 60000 eventually according to The Echo.

We don't know what's down the line in 5 years though. We could have a standing Kop with rail seats which could get an extra few thousand in

That would be rather good, so I guess we can just scrap that idea then, I just cant see it happening.

Just out of curiosity here...

Liverpool's matchday revenues are pretty impressive, but I'm trying to understand where it's coming from...

Ticket prices are on the highish side right? but not totally ludicrous

Are fans spending a lot at the ground?

Is it tourism fans buying merchandise (not trying to be funny, but the bigger the club, the more this happens)?

Is it corporate boxes?

And whilst increasing the stadium capacity should keep most fans happy, it's ultimately to make money (nothing wrong with that)... will they restructure the pricing so that some will get cheaper seats (good PR) whilst others will pay more?

Just out of curiosity here...

Liverpool's matchday revenues are pretty impressive, but I'm trying to understand where it's coming from...

Ticket prices are on the highish side right? but not totally ludicrous

Are fans spending a lot at the ground?

Is it tourism fans buying merchandise (not trying to be funny, but the bigger the club, the more this happens)?

Is it corporate boxes?

And whilst increasing the stadium capacity should keep most fans happy, it's ultimately to make money (nothing wrong with that)... will they restructure the pricing so that some will get cheaper seats (good PR) whilst others will pay more?

We get a lot of wools, OOTs, OOCs and daytrippers.

I can understand your scepticism  re the timing but I think it could well be a  little bit misguided. I doubt we'd have Steve Rotherham and Joe Anderson getting sucked into the  clubs transfer misfortunes. 

I wouldn't pay to much attention to the Mirror either. Have a look on the Echo's web site. They'll be much more privy to what's going on. The news doesn't surprise me. We had both Werner and JH over for the Villa game. Wouldn't you have thought they'd have waited for the Everton game ? Unless of course they had other business to conclude.

Good points DD.

I guess i'm just sick of waiting for it to happen, like we all are i'm sure.

My understanding is that the Main Stand capacity will be increased by 10000 and the ARE by 3500, giving us a total capacity of 58,500 up to that point. The way in which they intend to do this is still up in the air obviously.

Xerxes will be along shortly to tell you that's a load of tosh and show you how much he knows about these things (i.e. fuck all).

Taken from another forum !

am sorry but the new stadium won't be holding only 55,000 at all. i have it on good authority (by someone who is working on the new drainage system!) that the new capacity will be about 58,551 (subject to fluctuation)

consisting of:

Kop - 12,409 (Unchanged)
Centenary 11,762 (Unchanged)
Main Stand - 20,480
Anfield Road - 13,900

where Main Stand will consist of

Paddock and existing Main Stand:

bottom tier - 8,200
middle tier - 3,100 (including executive boxes)
top tier -7,540
Paddock - 1,640

My understanding is that the Main Stand capacity will be increased by 10000 and the ARE by 3500, giving us a total capacity of 58,500 up to that point. The way in which they intend to do this is still up in the air obviously.

I agree.

it is difficult to see an ARE capacity beyond 13,000, so the rest of the uplift will have to come from the Main stand which will have to be of North stand OT proportions to get to 58,500 or so.

I continue to worry that this half new/half old, linited capacity increase is too little too late.

I think a lot of that 21,000 is people who have already recieved season tickets or have their name down twice.

The season ticket wait list is the one that has been cleaned up and people had to pay £5 to remain on it. All the people on that list have an interest in tickets whether they choose to take them or not is a different matter. I've moved up nearly 1000 places in 2 years though so it feels like its at least being looked at

Now, I know this will probably spark off a load of 'my clubs bigger than yours' etc... but:

City manage to sell brand new season tickets each year, suggesting there's no (or hardly any) waiting list.

Obviously, the demand at Liverpool is much bigger but:

1 - City are expanding their stadium starting at the end of next year. It will be completed in a single summer (one end), then the following summer, they may extend the opposite end. With no waiting list, they still must think it's viable.

2 - I have a mate who works at United who reckons the waiting list there is total BS. i.e. it's not really x thousand extra all sat at home, many of those on the waiting list already come to the matches anyway, it's just that the season tickets are limited in number. Therefore, say United have 50,000 season ticket holder and 20,000 on a waiting list, that doesn't mean they'd get an extra 20,000 turning up at matches is they extended.... they might manage 5K (once you rule out those who are on the list erroneously / don't really want the tickets / already come to the games ad-hoc anyway).

Is that the same at Liverpool would you say? (same as United). If so... that might be why they are being slightly conservative with the increased capacity.

why(are) they are being slightly conservative with the increased capacity.

The reason why FSG are being cautious, in my view, is twofold. Firstly, as a business, they are investment risk-averse. Secondly, they have more to gain in the short term by squeezing the affluent end of our support with under-capacity.

Factually we are the second best supported club by historic all-time average league attendance in England. Our current average attendance does not even make the top twenty in Europe, our stadium does not feature in the top 60. We have grown our support as a percentage, and in hard numbers, the least of all the league clubs in the North West since the inception of the PL. Factor in population growth and the growth in popularity of football over that time and the stats are even worse. It is an abject story.

The likely increase in capacity by 10-15k only provides for an extra 5-10k “ordinary” seats when the likely extra 5k premium seats are taken off. Centenary and Kop patrons are likely to see no benefit whatsoever.

As I understand it, the ST waiting list originally had some 70k names on it. The first tranche of 25k was trawled, but so many were “live” that the remaining names addresses were not even contacted such was the take up from the first phase.

Bluntly, FSG make more money from ramping up the prices of 44,500 seats with no cost, than building and funding a 70k stadium where demand would normally be met.