You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is funny. People just can’t let shit go can they?

Get over it for jazus sake. He’s a good journo, just because he said some things about someone that you didn’t like doesn’t make him a cunt. He’s a decent journo.

When I see people still getting their knickers in a twist about Bascombe, or having to write “China buys Liverpool” every time a certain other reporter gets mentioned, I just shake my head at the bitterness and pointlessness of it. No one is infallible. Not even the Pope.

Well done Chris. Hope this frees you up to get back to the quality writing of your Echo days.

However, "Bowel headed cunt" is a great put down, even if done by accident.

He didn't say that.

And even if he did, no, that wouldn't sum him up. Smith was brilliant during all the shite with the owners...what was Bascombe doing?

Yeah he only broke the Blackstone refinance story which without that there would have been no "Internet Terrorist" campaign when Kop Faithful led the way with it on the back of that story.

He didn't say that.

And even if he did, no, that wouldn't sum him up. Smith was brilliant during all the shite with the owners...what was Bascombe doing?

Blackstone story was Bascombe and when Rory and others were helping big up a conman Bascombe was actually researching him, have a read of Epic Swindle it says alot about his part.

anyway good luck to then both, wether people like it or Bascombe is well connected on Merseyside and it's for that reason he's got the job.

Rory seems like a decent lad, i've probably unfairly criticised him on here and twitter, but he really has Fuck all sources on merseyside, the Merelis wasn't travelling on the Asian tour as he was about to be sold is the latest in a long line of whoppers he's came our with in last year or so.

Good luck to them both

It's unfair for people to tar a journalist with one poor story.

The 'China buys Liverpool' stuff was well off the mark in hindsight but what's to say that there wasn't some good solid sources behind the story when it was first broke? Ofcourse there was, the Times have great connections with Liverpool and there is no way they wouldn't have gone big without good reason. Things change though.

If people want to hang a journalist on one or two poor stories, then I seem to remember Bascombe apparently (I didn't read the Sunday S*n) telling his readers that we need to 'cut Hicks and Gillett some slack' or something along them lines. See, no one is perfect.

It's unfair for people to tar a journalist with one poor story.

The 'China buys Liverpool' stuff was well off the mark in hindsight but what's to say that there wasn't some good solid sources behind the story when it was first broke? Ofcourse there was, the Times have great connections with Liverpool and there is no way they wouldn't have gone big without good reason. Things change though.

If people want to hang a journalist on one or two poor stories, then I seem to remember Bascombe apparently (I didn't read the Sunday S*n) telling his readers that we need to 'cut Hicks and Gillett some slack' or something along them lines. See, no one is perfect.

Nail, meet head.

And Smith has apparently been lined up to replace one of the outgoing Midlands correspondents

Telegraph rings changes again in move for Bascombe

Chris Bascombe, one of the sports desk casualties of the sudden closure of the News of the World, is in line to become Merseyside football reporter for the Daily Telegraph, with incumbent Rory Smith earmarked for a switch to the Midlands.

Self-confessed Liverpool fan Bascombe joined the NotW four years ago from the Liverpool Echo, where he had been named north-west sportswriter of the year for five successive years. He also ghost-wrote Jamie Carragher’s autobiography.

But with the post-Hillsborough disaster, Liverpool-wide boycott of The Sun still in force, Bascombe’s transfer from the Echo to what was the country’s biggest selling Sunday caused anger among some Anfield fans, who seemed to have a problem differentiating between the News of the World and its daily stablemate.

Bascombe, on 90-day gardening leave from Wapping, has consistently broken more stories on the Mersey beat than any other journalist – a feat which has not escaped the notice of the Telegraph as they seek to beef up their coverage in an area where they are already strong: football correspondent Henry Winter ghosted Kenny Dalglish’s autobiography and has remained close to the Liverpool hero.

The Telegraph is relocating Smith to the Midlands following the departure of Sandy Macaskill several weeks ago. Macaskill chose to leave after it was indicated to him that he would not be offered a new contract when his current agreement expired in the summer.

Smith is a former graduate trainee with Mirror Newspapers, who will now be responsible for four Premier League clubs – Aston Villa, West Brom, Wolves and Stoke.

This follows previous reshuffles elsewhere in the Telegraph‘s football squad, as well as the departure of its golf and tennis correspondents.

http://www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/jobs/telegraph-rings-changes-again-in-move-for-bascombe/

I liked Rory's writing style. But I guess if he wanted to cover the Midlands, then good luck to him. I've never read any articles by Bascombe as I don't read the Sunday papers, so will have to wait and see if he's any good.

Why would he want to cover the Midlands? Sounds like a demotion to me. Or 'the graveyard shift' as Stevie would say.