You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

U-18 game today

ritchie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adorjan reminds me a little bit of Litmanen. Clearly he is unlikely to ever approach the levels of genius that Jari was capable of, but the way he sits behind the striker and picks out passes is quite similar. We should have all the young lads studying videos of great players in their positions. Get Sterling some videos of Digger, get Adorjan some videos of Jari and tell them that's what they should be aiming for.

Watched the Academy Review last week and Rodolfo had a few interesting words about Morgan, said it's not goals that impress him about Morgan, that he "has scored goals since he was born" that he's now looking at him to improve his overall game and he keeps pushing him to become a better all-around player and get more involved around the pitch.

Great to see that they're still pushing him even when he's on a streak like this. It sounds mental to say about a guy banging them in like he is, but I still have doubts that he'll make it, mainly over his size. The game has changed since Fowler and Owen broke through and there aren't many smally nippy goalpoacher #9's making it these days.

Watched the Academy Review last week and Rodolfo had a few interesting words about Morgan, said it's not goals that impress him about Morgan, that he "has scored goals since he was born" that he's now looking at him to improve his overall game and he keeps pushing him to become a better all-around player and get more involved around the pitch.

Great to see that they're still pushing him even when he's on a streak like this. It sounds mental to say about a guy banging them in like he is, but I still have doubts that he'll make it, mainly over his size. The game has changed since Fowler and Owen broke through and there aren't many smally nippy goalpoacher #9's making it these days.

Football hasn't changed though, has it? If you have a striker's instincts then you can make it in any era. I don't think size really comes into it. If you look at the league's top scorers (who are strikers) you have Tevez, Bent, Van Persie, Odemwingie and Hernandez who are all pretty short. Meanwhile, the likes of Dzeko are nowhere to be seen.

Football hasn't changed though, has it? If you have a striker's instincts then you can make it in any era. I don't think size really comes into it. If you look at the league's top scorers (who are strikers) you have Tevez, Bent, Van Persie, Odemwingie and Hernandez who are all pretty short. Meanwhile, the likes of Dzeko are nowhere to be seen.

It has changed massively, the role of a forward is completely different now because most teams play 1 up front and even those who play 2 (like us recently) play with one withdrawn. This means forwards have to be able to hold the ball up and act as a fulcrum for the team's attacking moves.

Of the players you mentioned Tevez is a withdrawn forward and he's also built like a tank. Bent is an out and out goalscorer but he'd be shite for us, you need to build the team around him, I don't think players like him play for top teas anymore. Van Persie is 6'2" and holds the ball up well. Odemwingie has done alright but he's nothing special, again he's someone that wouldn't get near a top side because of his style of play. Hernandez is another one who tends to drop deeper.

Maybe there'll be another tactical shift in the coming years but at the moment the one thing in common with all the top team's main front men is they can handle them physically. The lad is only 16 though, plenty of time to get the steaks into him.

Btw, how many has he scored in these 14 games, must be nearly 20.

Something that's been bugging me all week, is that I remember reading that one of the young lads has a really long throw. I think its Robinson or Irwin, does anyone know?

Robinson has a pretty long throw. McGiveron's is like Delap's though.

David Villa's the same height as Fowler and Owen.

It has changed massively, the role of a forward is completely different now because most teams play 1 up front and even those who play 2 (like us recently) play with one withdrawn. This means forwards have to be able to hold the ball up and act as a fulcrum for the team's attacking moves.

Of the players you mentioned Tevez is a withdrawn forward and he's also built like a tank. Bent is an out and out goalscorer but he'd be shite for us, you need to build the team around him, I don't think players like him play for top teas anymore. Van Persie is 6'2" and holds the ball up well. Odemwingie has done alright but he's nothing special, again he's someone that wouldn't get near a top side because of his style of play. Hernandez is another one who tends to drop deeper.

Maybe there'll be another tactical shift in the coming years but at the moment the one thing in common with all the top team's main front men is they can handle them physically. The lad is only 16 though, plenty of time to get the steaks into him.

Have to agree to disagree mate. I just don't think it's that important. If you have a natural striker's ability you can make it any era.

He's not small though. He's not 6ft obviously, but he isn't a short arse and he's quite strong too. He's only just about to turn 17 so he'll probably grow a bit more. I don't see his size/build holding him back at all.