You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano - The Benchwarmer.

redsoxs

Mascherano did a great job for us while he was here.

But we're moving on from the days he was here, and I don't think Kenny wants to see "defensive" in anything other than his defenders.

Masch didn't give us much going forwards and that's one less player to create or score goals.

Alonso on the other hand. . . . -

Mascherano did a great job for us while he was here.

But we're moving on from the days he was here, and I don't think Kenny wants to see "defensive" in anything other than his defenders.

Masch didn't give us much going forwards and that's one less player to create or score goals.

Alonso on the other hand. . . . -

Didn't score or create many goals either?

Masherano Shit one whenever he was in possession.

He did indeed. I said this in the match thread. He's never been that gifted in possession, but surrounded by Barca players and the likes of Pique in defence he looks even worse, and seems to be so nervous with the ball that he IS worse.

He did indeed. I said this in the match thread. He's never been that gifted in possession, but surrounded by Barca players and the likes of Pique in defence he looks even worse, and seems to be so nervous with the ball that he IS worse.

Totally agree, he's like that shite lad when you played at school whose only decent attribute was a good tackle. Then when he had the ball would shit one and either pass it back to the keeper or the nearest player in a panic.

He was playing cb and he wasn't really embarrassed against some of the worlds best players against Madrid. Maybe Kenny would have loved his versatility, it's all a moot point anyway as he clearly doesn't want to be in the UK.

Might of helped if Madrid ran at him a bit more, Barca swarmed that midfield but when ever Masherano was left exposed he panicked.

[YOUTUBE]io7wHZNyK30[/YOUTUBE]

Behind the goal look there is quite clear that his right leg is knocked.

Either way, he has a great player for us but I think our side is setup differently now. He covered Alonso and, as a pure destroyer, he's still arguably the best in the world.

His action near the end of the second leg was disappointing but he was never one not to make more from a challenge, though.

Might of helped if Madrid ran at him a bit more, Barca swarmed that midfield but when ever Masherano was left exposed he panicked.

If you consider what Mascherano did as panicking, I'd think we have a CB who does the same game after game. It is just a question of how you are taught to play, a safe ball out or a more risky approach.

The comparisons above between Spearing and Mascherano are just dumb. Spearing has played a part in about 25 games for LFC. He may have a relatively bright future, but Mascherano, only 4 years older, is on a totally different level as a player, he has been living Spearing's dream for quite a while now.

If mascherano was in the real madrid midfield i dont think barcelona would dominate the games like they have.

Dunno. Not sure Masher would have been able to do much more than Lassana Diarra (who was very good).

I hate those tippy-tappy play-acting bellends, but there's only so much any player - or team - can do when Barca's players do those mesmerising, quicksilver little triangles in midfield and attack.

Some of their close control and passing is spellbinding.

• 4 years later...