You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

As I said, im as excited as anyone, I just dont like the thought of joining the buy your way ups by paying stupid prices.

Fair comment that Jan is a shite time to buy, I just dont like being ripped off, which regardless how well they do for us, we have been in the realism of value at this stage in their careers.

I still love the fact we have them and maybe another to come, but, I dont know, it just feels dirty somehow.

I want to be totally ecstatic, and think of who we can destroy, but the other side of me hates the over price we have had to pay to get it.

But then, I suppose we could just say, its the dirty money from the sale of a two faced traitor, and enjoy the fact we bought well with it, then the dirtiness sort of goes away :)

Apologies, im in a mixed mood about things tonight, its been a long time since we went mad on buying players, so forgive me.

Before they locked down the Newcastle Forum, the first few posts on a Carroll megathread described him as being a bit of a donkey and not a footballer. Fair enough, these were from 2008 when he was 20. Nevertheless, how can you go from being a bit of a donkey to the most promising British striker since Shearer in one year in the Championship and half in the Premier League?

I'm getting a sense of the Kevin Phillips [insert chosen flavour of the month] here. Having said that, all credit to the owners, at least they are backing the manager/Commoli.

The armband bit doesn't make sense, and as it relates to Torres, totally inappropriate.

However, swap it with a couple of lines from elsewhere, and the whole thing is a goer...

His ASBO proves he's off his head, Carroll, Carroll,

You're not allowed out at night it said, Carroll Carroll,

We hope he doesn't go to jail,

But if he does, we'll pay his bail,

Andy Carroll, Liverpool's lu-na-tic.

I love it. Change the first two lines and it would make more sense though.

His transfer said he was a red, Carroll, Carroll,

You'll never walk alone, we said, Carroll, Carroll

We hope he doesn't go to jail,

But if he does, we'll pay his bail,

Andy Carroll, Liverpool's lu-na-tic.

I reckon this one is better, that not allowed out at night line is too awkward, especially for the excessively fast singing Kop.

Before they locked down the Newcastle Forum, the first few posts on a Carroll megathread described him as being a bit of a donkey and not a footballer. Fair enough, these were from 2008 when he was 20. Nevertheless, how can you go from being a bit of a donkey to the most promising British striker since Shearer in one year in the Championship and half in the Premier League?I'm getting a sense of the Kevin Phillips [insert chosen flavour of the month] here. Having said that, all credit to the owners, at least they are backing the manager/Commoli.

How do you go from being a failed left back, available for 5 million to a 50 million pound reincarnation of Ryan Giggs?

Players improve, a 20 year old is a completely different player to a 22 year old in most instances. Not saying this is one of them, but don't agree with your rational.

It seems like we'll have brought in £57m from the sale of Nando and Babel this window.

Now, considering that we went into the window complaining about needing a striker, is it not common sense that we would therefore spend over that sum of money in this window?

IF we pull off all three deals (remember, none of them are official yet), then our spending over the window would be around £65m. Basically a net spend of £8m.

I think if we come out of this window with Suarez, Carroll and Adam in our squad, and have only spent £8m of our own money, then we have to be delighted about that.

If Chelsea weren't willing to spend £50m on the lad then we'd have never bid all this for Carroll.

What would be the point in having a ceiling to our bidding and then missing out on our number 1 target? So we could have £15m left over to get in another 2nd or 3rd choice transfer target in the Summer?

Nah, you pay it if you want them. Newcastle put us over a barrel, but luckily we had underwear padded with £50m which softened the blow.

I'd rather have spent £35m on Carroll now, and avoided a proper scrap in the Summer with the likes of Spurs and United, maybe even Chelsea again matching our offers. That's the bonus with this deal, with Chelsea spending £50m on Torres it means that they couldn't go toe to toe with us to replace Drogba, and Carroll is a lot more Drogba than Nando is.

We're going to scare the shit out of teams now. Properly fuck some teams up.

I`ve not been able to read the whole thread so sorry if its already been brought up, but this deal with Carroll is not only good as the replacement for Torres.

He will also be a major asset for us at defending set pieces and will help us improve an area which have cost us laods of points the last two seasons.

So lets say we paid £25M for his ability as a striker and £10M for his ability to defend set pieces and the fee does not look as ridiculous at all.

I`ve not been able to read the whole thread so sorry if its already been brought up, but this deal with Carroll is not only good as the replacement for Torres.

He will also be a major asset for us at defending set pieces and will help us improve an area which have cost us laods of points the last two seasons.

So lets say we paid £25M for his ability as a striker and £10M for his ability to defend set pieces and the fee does not look as ridiculous at all.

A striker defending? Changed your tune.