You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Mirror

Ian Holloway has dropped a bombshell on relegation-threatened Blackpool by declaring it may be time to axe star man Charlie Adam.

Scottish midfielder Adam has been the architect of the Tangerines' tremendous debut season in the Premier League, but his loss of form has coincided with their slump into a battle for survival.

Now, Holloway is ready to make a brave decision that will prove to either be a masterstroke or cause uproar among Seasiders fans.

Ollie reckons Adam is short of confidence and is trying too many glory balls in a bid to make up for his poor form.

It's a situation the Blackpool boss fears is damaging his side's chances of climbing away from the drop zone - which would be massively helped by a result from the evening kick-off at Spurs today.

And he revealed: "I don't think he's ever played under so much pressure in his whole life and he's never wanted to something for a group of people as much as he wants to do this.

"That's for the players, the supporters, for himself. And that's just the person he is.

"I'm amazed at how it didn't affect him before, I'm amazed that he played like a dream, but there was always going to be some sort of lull.

"He's only human, I've been trying to play him through it and I've got to decide whether he isn't doing it well enough, whether he does need a break, because I've got someone like Andy Reid or Ludo Sylvestre who can come in and pass it and maybe be a bit more focused.

"What he has got to do is concentrate on playing simply, quickly, nicely and neatly and forget all his World Cup Willie shots from the halfway line because that is not really going to help anybody when you're not on form. That's not the way to get back in the game.

"He had a few of those long range shots, and when you're winning it doesn't matter but it's a matter of balance.

"I've spoken to him about it saying, 'You've got to be 75/25, son'. It's got to be 75% short and quick and tidy and 25% lovely jubbly, not the other way around, which is probably what he's doing now.''

Adam was a target for Liverpool in January and has gone off the boil since the deal fell through.

His struggles on the pitch has led to the first bout of criticism from the previously praising pundits, with Alan Shearer suggesting he may not get a second call from Liverpool in the summer.

It's a statement that has got the irascible Holloway fuming.

He moaned: "Last week, Alan Shearer said he hopes that Charlie's time hasn't passed him by.

"Come on, yours has, son; because you're finished playing now. His hasn't. He's 24, so what are you talking about?

"Little comments like that don't really help the situation and I've got no doubts that the boy will be sought-after throughout his career.

"I don't know if he even heard it but I think it's out of order. It's a throwaway comment and there's nothing behind it. How does he know?

"It's not easy, but life isn't easy. When you have your head turned, that you could be earning all sorts of things and someone like Liverpool wants you, it's always going to be a situation.''

Adam has failed to net in the last five games having stroked home 10 goals earlier this season.

More worrying for Holloway is the fact Blackpool have managed to score just five times in as many games in a run that has seen them take just two points from the last 15 to leave them teetering just above the drop zone.

And Ollie has a message for Adam, which he hopes will spark him back to top form

He added: "We're all having to learn different skills this year and maybe Charlie is having to learn more than all of us because of the highlighting and the focus, whether it's fair or not.

"Charlie's probably been trying too hard. You can want something too badly and if you want it too badly, that's what it stays, a want."

Holloway needs to shut up now. I like him, but he is talking far too much. If someone asks about his player, then he should just say that he is fine. You don't discuss dropping him or that he isn't playing well in the press. How would Holloway feel if Adam was discussing some bad tactis of Holloways in the press?

He's showing himself up as a lower league manager more and more with his stupid comments

Might suit him better to challenge players like Hareood as to why they're not weighing in with more goals.

PREM CUPS TOTAL

Dudley Campbell 11 0 11

Charlie Adam 9 1 10

Marlon Harewood 5 0 5

Gary Taylor-Fletcher 5 0 5

Luke Varney 5 0 5

Alex Baptiste 2 0 2

Jason Puncheon 2 0 2

David Vaughan 2 0 2

Brett Ormerod 1 1 2

Ian Evatt 1 0 1

Neal Eardley 1 0 1

Matt Phillips 1 0 1

Elliot Grandin 1 0 1

Ludovic Sylvestre 0 1 1

Craig Cathcart 1 0 1

PREM = Barclays Premier League

CUPS = Carling Cup

Holloway is getting more annoying by the week. I can only assume he is on the whacky-baccy as he seems to be paranoid about any comment about him & his players & wants to have every argument in public.

Shearer makes a valid point. He wasn't saying that Adam has got worse as a player, but that sometimes the attitude of the clubs that want you are dictated by their circumstances at that time & this can change over the intervening period before the next transfer window.

I am happy with our offensive central midfielders ( Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Speo ) & think we just need an excellent defensive midfielder ( M'Vila if possible ) so I would pass on Adam personally.

Guest TK-421
Holloway needs to shut up now. I like him, but he is talking far too much. If someone asks about his player, then he should just say that he is fine. You don't discuss dropping him or that he isn't playing well in the press. How would Holloway feel if Adam was discussing some bad tactis of Holloways in the press?

He's showing himself up as a lower league manager more and more with his stupid comments

Bonkers, isn't it? I can't help thinking Adam would play better if Holloway stopped talking about him for 5 minutes.

I think there's a good chance that his ship has sailed now, which is a shame really. I think he could be a useful player for us. Maybe if we can get him for a couple of million the deal might still be on. His value has definitely gone down a lot since January.

Showed some stones for the penalty but demonstrated plenty of cuntishness with the Bale 'tackle', and the less said about his "look at me" celebration the better.

If we do sign him (which I think we will) I hope it's for buttons and he is just a squad player.

Cvnt of the highest order. the way he celebrated the goal by kissing the badge, then point to his name like its all about him says alot about him. He sat in Blackpools reception infront of his phone whoring himself to any club who wanted him. He's also slow as hell and would get exposed if he moves