You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saying we overspent is understandable considering the price. Having a little thing about how we massively overspent, on essentially, a kid who can be simply unplayable... despite us buying him for YEARS to come... is ridiculous.

We'll know if we 'massively' overspent in about 2 or 3 years... and not sooner.

Edit: The vast majority had/have reservations. He was our number one target. (NOT NUMBER TWO FOR ONCE [did you see what I did there? number two? hehehe]) We paid what we had to pay, to get him when we wanted to buy him, right away. I don't care if we spent more money than we *could* have at another time. We did something we haven't really done lately.

Paying £20m would have been stretching it, adding another £15m on top of that when we could have bought a wide player too is massively over paying for him. Are you really that convinced he is £15m better than Suarez?

Your argument on whether we overpaid is fatally flawed. He's had 6 months 'decent' football behind him, was injured and there is no gurantee how he will turn out in 2,3,4 or 5 years time.

I'm glad we got the managers number one target for once. It make's a fucking nice change. I just disagree he should have been number one target.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Carroll would have cost as much possibly more in summer if an auction started"

Yes, by brilliantly delaying the sale of Torres, and subsequent last-minute purchase of Carrol, we really did allow Newcastle no room to negotiate the best possible fee for Andy Carrol and managed to get him for what everyone agrees was an absolute BARGAIN price of £35m.

I should imagine if we'd waited until summer we'd probably have paid, I dunno, £100m or something.

Spurs had bid for him also, let's say the summer cones along Chelsea decide they want him or City, what happens then, Newcastle create an auction

Spurs had bid for him also, let's say the summer cones along Chelsea decide they want him or City, what happens then, Newcastle create an auction

Right. So this amazing last-day of the January sales strategy, in which we sold our best striker to a rival, actually meant that we got Carrol at a bargain price?

PHEW!

We should do it more often. There's value to be had.

You really think Spurs would have coughed up £35m?

You mean the Chelsea that just spunked £50m on Torres and Man City that had spunked £30m or whatever it was on Dzeko?

We over paid for him, there is no argument about that.

The debate is if he'll be good enough.

You mean the Chelsea that just spunked £50m on Torres and Man City that had spunked £30m or whatever it was on Dzeko?

Do you think Chelsea overpaid for Tores, or Citeh for Dzeko?

Those two questions cannot be separated from one another. If he is good enough, we never overpaid. It's all relative.

Those two questions cannot be separated from one another. If he is good enough, we never overpaid. It's all relative.

Yes they can.

I question if he is good enough.

We could have for the same money tried to buy a forward and a winger 'good enough'. You then improve the team as a greater 'whole' than spending all the money on one guy.

But as it stands!

On 28th January not one of us would have said he was worth 35 million! If he turns out to great, then obviously it he was worth it.

But I think Newcastle would have sold him for 20-25 million had we got to the summer.

They had us over a barrell and we had no room to manoeuvre.

We didn't actually pay a fucking penny for either Suarez or Carroll, so stop crying it in, derps.

We swapped one washed up prick who was taking us for a ride, for two class strikers who badly want to be here.

It was the sale of the fucking century, so shut fuck up about it.

We didn't actually pay a fucking penny for either Suarez or Carroll, so stop crying it in, derps.

We swapped one washed up prick who was taking us for a ride, for two class strikers who badly want to be here.

It was the sale of the fucking century, so shut fuck up about it.

Net spend bollocks.

We coughed up over £50m, there is no way around it.

Yes they can.

I question if he is good enough.

We could have for the same money tried to buy a forward and a winger 'good enough'. You then improve the team as a greater 'whole' than spending all the money on one guy.

If he turns out to be good enough, he was worth the price. How can you not understand that? You can't say we paid too much until we know exactly what we got for it.

If he turns out to be good enough, he was worth the price. How can you not understand that? You can't say we paid too much until we know exactly what we got for it.

I am not criticising the fee!

But, you are using 'If' as an argument, but 'If' doesn't exist yet, so as it stands he was overpriced!

If we did not have one day to complete the deal, he would not have gone for that money. Henry said himself, it was a striker plus 15 million for Torres. It doesn't matter in the slightest, but you would not have paid 35 million pounds for him on the 28th, so he is (at this moment) still overpriced.

Had we bought him for 25 million, and he turned out to be poor, he would be overpriced. I wouldn't argue he was bought for a reasonable fee!

Konchesky was overpriced, but Torres wasn't!

Paying £20m would have been stretching it, adding another £15m on top of that when we could have bought a wide player too is massively over paying for him. Are you really that convinced he is £15m better than Suarez?

Your argument on whether we overpaid is fatally flawed. He's had 6 months 'decent' football behind him, was injured and there is no gurantee how he will turn out in 2,3,4 or 5 years time.

I'm glad we got the managers number one target for once. It make's a fucking nice change. I just disagree he should have been number one target.

Trying to bitch about his price is fatally flawed at this stage. You can try to say "IS HE 15m BETTER THAN SUAREZ?" but that's a fool's argument.

A player like Suarez, or Carroll, have two results: BARGAIN or EXPENSIVE FLOP.

There is no grey area. He'll either be top class, and then 35m doesn't matter, because he'll pay it back in rewards on the pitch and off... or he'll be an expensive flop.

If he plays brilliantly, then it's a deal, it's a steal, etc.

If he plays shit, then we massively overpaid.

You're viewing this ALL wrong.

Hell, you could do what Tom R is talking about and even look at it this way: We got Suarez and Carroll for Torres and Babel. That's smart business, and the rest is just numbers.

However, saying we massively overpaid, right now, is saying you can see the future. We didn't pay the big bucks for Carroll right now, we paid the big bucks Carroll three years from now.

Funny how we weren't willing to go a little higher to the bid that was accepted by Blackpool from Spurs, considering how much we spent on Suarez and Carroll.

I thought we offered more that Spurs did for Adam... I just remember that Halloway was mouthing off about their chairman not taking calls from us despite us upping our offer on the last day... Seemed more spiteful from Blackpool than anything...

I am not criticising the fee!

But, you are using 'If' as an argument, but 'If' doesn't exist yet, so as it stands he was overpriced!

If we did not have one day to complete the deal, he would not have gone for that money. Henry said himself, it was a striker plus 15 million for Torres. It doesn't matter in the slightest, but you would not have paid 35 million pounds for him on the 28th, so he is (at this moment) still overpriced.

Had we bought him for 25 million, and he turned out to be poor, he would be overpriced. I wouldn't argue he was bought for a reasonable fee!

Konchesky was overpriced, but Torres wasn't!

FUCK SAKES!

Speculation

The act of knowingly investing (Andy Carroll) in a venture carrying higher-than-average risks in the hope of making above-average (goals scored, ladies wet, black eyes, and hair care products). Speculators expect to make a profit of (goals scored, ladies wet, black eyes, and hair care products) because of (world class potential).

id love to see what he would have cost in the summer had jabba said he was going to sell him? alot more than 35mill ill bet. You have to put it in perspecitve, 50 for torres, 80 for ronaldo, 35 doesnt really seem that much. I dont think we massively overpaid but there is an element of a gamble. First impressions from the braga match, half fit he changed the game. Look at him at Newcastle and surely you can see the rough diamond we got.

why are we talking about carroll? this is a charlie adam thread.

id love to see what he would have cost in the summer had jabba said he was going to sell him? alot more than 35mill ill bet. You have to put it in perspecitve, 50 for torres, 80 for ronaldo, 35 doesnt really seem that much. I dont think we massively overpaid but there is an element of a gamble. First impressions from the braga match, half fit he changed the game. Look at him at Newcastle and surely you can see the rough diamond we got.

why are we talking about carroll? this is a charlie adam thread.

This is TLW. Why stay on subject? We've got bollocks to talk!

FUCK SAKES!

Speculation

The act of knowingly investing (Andy Carroll) in a venture carrying higher-than-average risks in the hope of making above-average (goals scored, ladies wet, black eyes, and hair care products). Speculators expect to make a profit of (goals scored, ladies wet, black eyes, and hair care products) because of (world class potential).

Just because you use block letters, doesn't make your point more pertinant!

I suspect that you, and others arguing the positive slant will be proved right! I think he is going to be a fucking star, and it is about time we started taking calculated gambles like this. We have essentially got rid of a stroppy twat and found we have three class strikers in his place.

But, we are Liverpool and there is always a fucking 'but'!

Saying we overspent is understandable considering the price. Having a little thing about how we massively overspent, on essentially, a kid who can be simply unplayable... despite us buying him for YEARS to come... is ridiculous.

We'll know if we 'massively' overspent in about 2 or 3 years... and not sooner.

Edit: The vast majority had/have reservations. He was our number one target. (NOT NUMBER TWO FOR ONCE [did you see what I did there? number two? hehehe]) We paid what we had to pay, to get him when we wanted to buy him, right away. I don't care if we spent more money than we *could* have at another time. We did something we haven't really done lately.

Spot on, who would of believed the strong position the club is now in, in comparrison to the plague of the two snakes.