You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thing is, how many people truly thought Aldridge could be a replacement for Rush? He wasn't in the same league in terms of individual skill, but Dalglish has pedigree when it comes to buying players to compliment each other, rather than because they've shown individual brilliance. Of his successful signings at Blackburn as well, how many would have excited fans when they were initially linked? Only Shearer was truly world class.

Dalglish buys teams.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think we will get him in the summer. Seems like dalglish really wants him and he badly wants to come here. I'm sure our sports science people will get Adam in shape and dalglish will make him track back. If he does then he will be a good player for us.

I wouldnt touch him unless its for a pittance now.He seemed to start the season really well but the last couple of months has tailed off abit,wether that is a case of being in a side that is often overrun or players paying more attention to him im not sure.

The lad's talented but he's not good enough for us. He's too inconistent, for every cracking goal he scores, he'll blast four or five out of the ground. He's also a good passer, but holds on to the ball too long and makes basic mistakes.

I stand by this, even though I was warming to him as it looked like he'd found some consistency.

He'd offer something different to Spearing and Lucas but overall I don't think he'd greatly improve us.

I don't want him. He had a purple patch earlier in the season but hasn't looked the same player since January. Not sure how much of that is down to the disappointment of not getting a January move, or whether this is his true level.

Well we've all seen how not getting the transfer you want can affect players...look at fabregas this season. He's playing like a guy that can't be arsed. Or torres for the whole time this season while with us really couldn't be bothered to try. The same COULD be said about Adam as he really wanted to leave in january. Just playing devils advocate here.

Fair point Glen C. If he does come then he will have my full backing and I will expect him to make his contribution. I know Kenny builds teams and there is an art in crafting a whole that is greater than the sum of it's parts. So if there is a place for Charlie Adam then bring it on. I know he is good with a dead ball and also has vision for a pass.

I just think that ship has sailed, and I also feel we are looking to shop a bit higher up, especially with the emergence of so many good young players.

11 yellow cards this season, only behind Tiote with 12.

he is also the player who has given away 3rd most fouls so far, again behind Tiote but also Davies who is on top by some distance.

he's having to put himself about all over the pitch though - I suspect if we did take him he would have less responsibility overall (and have to do less running) than he does at Blackpool.

I like his quality when in possession - I'm not sure whether he may be a little too similar to Spearing though.

he's having to put himself about all over the pitch though - I suspect if we did take him he would have less responsibility overall (and have to do less running) than he does at Blackpool.

I like his quality when in possession - I'm not sure whether he may be a little too similar to Spearing though.

He's nothing like spearing at all. Their games are completely different.

Fair point Glen C. If he does come then he will have my full backing and I will expect him to make his contribution. I know Kenny builds teams and there is an art in crafting a whole that is greater than the sum of it's parts. So if there is a place for Charlie Adam then bring it on. I know he is good with a dead ball and also has vision for a pass.

I just think that ship has sailed, and I also feel we are looking to shop a bit higher up, especially with the emergence of so many good young players.

I dunno there's no reason to think that King kenny still doesn't want him. Its between us and spurs that's for sure. But i do understand your hesitation towards him because i'm feeling the same way. Watching him lately and his passing has been quite woeful and he's very lazy and always has been lazy from what i've been told. He would seriously have to step up his game if he comes here.

Trust me. Charlie Adam is not Liverpool class. He is at a club right now which suits him. Dont think he can come to Anfield and do a job. Not good enough. Takes a brilliant free kick though. But can't do the American football thing of bringing him on for free kicks.

He's nothing like spearing at all. Their games are completely different.

Funnily enough, Spearing was exactly like Adam when he played in the reserves. This holding midfield, positional discipline, destroyer vs. play maker thing is a dimension he's only added in the last 6-9 months or so. Once he gets more used to the pace and space in the PL you'll see that part of his game come out again I bet.

Maybe kenny views adam(s) as a latter-day jan molby (pronounce it molbu lads and you'll be viewed as the elitel footballing brains in your peer groups)

the game has changed now and you can't really be afforded the luxury of having a fatty trying to dictate in the centre anymore, they need more in their locker and I'm not talking about kingsize mars bars here, in any case adam is not fit to lace molby's boots and is not half the player molby was except in weight where he is not far off the great dane's size

Funnily enough, Spearing was exactly like Adam when he played in the reserves. This holding midfield, positional discipline, destroyer vs. play maker thing is a dimension he's only added in the last 6-9 months or so. Once he gets more used to the pace and space in the PL you'll see that part of his game come out again I bet.

Good point i do remember him being a more advanced midfielder back in the reserves but he wasn't great in that role hence why they've been working to convert him into a holding midfielder. I think this role suits him a lot better.

But regarding adam, if he can play consistently like he did up until january then he would be a worthwhile addition to the squad, we just need to know if it was just a flash in the pan or he's the real deal. You would never see spearing doing a pass like this.

YouTube - Charlie Adam Stunning Pass vs WBA

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWrxaBalSTc[/YOUTUBE]

Spearing and Adam are similar players - they may be being asked to perform different roles, but they share a lot of attributes. They are both thinking footballers, they can pick and deliver a pass, they make up for a lack of pace with guile, they are adept at finding space in a crowded midfield, and they like a tackle.

Its between us and spurs that's for sure.

I'm not sure Spurs are really interested. In the last transfer window Harry was desperate to make a purchse (well a man has to pay he legal bills n ow, innit), so much so he seemed to be using a scattergun approach. I think the bid for Adam was very much part of that.

He seems to be talking up Scott Parker now. I suspect that with Holloway due to get a cut of any Adam deal, there isn't much action for Harry there. Now Scott Parker - good player, older, wanting to keep his England chances alive, and who's agent is likely to be prepared to cut Harry in on the action to keep his client's top-flight career going....

Good point i do remember him being a more advanced midfielder back in the reserves but he wasn't great in that role hence why they've been working to convert him into a holding midfielder. I think this role suits him a lot better.

But regarding adam, if he can play consistently like he did up until january then he would be a worthwhile addition to the squad, we just need to know if it was just a flash in the pan or he's the real deal. You would never see spearing doing a pass like this.

YouTube - Charlie Adam Stunning Pass vs WBA

[YOUTUBE]OWrxaBalSTc[/YOUTUBE]

TBH that pass looks like the kind of pass Spearing would routinely pick out in the reserves, where like with Blackpool who like to stretch the game, there is plenty of time and space.

I've not seen enough of Adam to know one way or the other, but I would be worried about whether he has the mentality for a club like ours if his form is going to go to pot just because he didn't get a transfer.

I've not seen enough of Adam to know one way or the other, but I would be worried about whether he has the mentality for a club like ours if his form is going to go to pot just because he didn't get a transfer.

That reminds me of someone else.... who was it?... nah, it's gone.

I see his own team mates didn't vote him their player of the season, giving it to Vaughen instead.

There was a curious quote from Holloway after their 3-1 defeat by Wigan the other week. When he was interviewed after the game he was asked about the team spirit that had been forged there, and he said something like "It hasn't really been there since January. I wonder why that is, eh?"

At the time I thought it might have been a veiled criticism of Oysten, but now I'm thinking it may have been aimed at Adam. It might explain the player's vote.

Good player but not sure he'd play enough for us next season to warrant the £10m or whatever Blackpool wanted for him,liked the look of him for January transfer window but i just think we've moved on alot since then and maybe we need to look at better players especially for the money reportedly banded around.just a thought but what about Pirlo he's on a free at the end of the season although probably on big wages but on a 2 year deal say could be a great signing and the deal would work out less than £10m transfer fee for Adam.