You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

Interest being shown in Konchesky, but any move wd require Prem Lge (and Fifa?) clearance as he's already played for 2 clubs this season

2 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Oliver Kay (OliverKayTimes) on Twitter

@OliverKayTimes Seems a loan move for Stephen Warnock is dependent on Konchesky being shipped out

less than 20 seconds ago via web in reply to OliverKayTimes

Ben Smith (bensmith_Times) on Twitter

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should TRY and sign Lassana Diarra/M'Vila and one of either Ever Banega or Charlie Adam depending on what our budget stretches to after we've sorted out the Suarez Transfer to replace the engine room we lost when first Xabi, then Mascher' departed. Don't know if we WILL do this mind but it is I believe the most logical way to rebuild a half decent midfield in place of the truly fantastic one we had only 2 seasons ago - A midfield that would at least give us a fighting chance to do well ALL season long (as opposed to running out of gas half or a quarter way into the season as it has since '08/'09) and more to the point; A midfield that would relegate the likes of Shelvey, Spearing and Lucas back to the bench where they should be for now learning their trade gradually rather than LAUNCHED in at the deep end - No wonder they (and we with them) have sunk more than swum thus far. Especially Lucas - Since Mascherano left? He's been almost carrying this apology for a 'team' on his own..............

NB Pretty sure both Banega and Adam are quite tall so either one could they replace Xabi at set piece defending in the squad? Mascherano was never that tall so if Diarra or M'vila/whoever PROPERLY replaces him is small? It doesn't really matter no? - NB; I REFUSE to dignify Poulsen with the title of footballer and thus to all intents and purposes - Masch' STILL Hasn't been replaced in my view - And it's clear that Xabi never was either or we wouldn't be In the mess we've been in since July 2009 would we? Let's just say the club have had finer hours than when they agreed to sell Xabi Alonso.....................

NNB As to centre backs? Think we should try for Cahill of Bolton, Turner of Sunderland, Hangeland of Fulham or as a LAST resort? Shawcross of Stoke - Why last resort? Because I think we should deal with the devil BEFORE going cap in hand to ask Ferguson's 'permission' to BID for a player as we Would apparently have to do If we went after Shawcross - There's no way on Earth we should EVER do that...............

NNNB: Maybe getting Sami back as coach to tutor the like of Ayala, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Agger and Wilson HOW to defend set-pieces would be a good move if we CAN'T sign a centre back this time around? It might save us a fair bit of money to in the long run..........

Edited by Redshadow

Interest being shown in Konchesky, but any move wd require Prem Lge (and Fifa?) clearance as he's already played for 2 clubs this season

2 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Oliver Kay (OliverKayTimes) on Twitter

@OliverKayTimes Seems a loan move for Stephen Warnock is dependent on Konchesky being shipped out

less than 20 seconds ago via web in reply to OliverKayTimes

Ben Smith (bensmith_Times) on Twitter

Nice to see the times getting to the page where everyone else was at the weekend.

All the talk of M'vila has died down. Is he not the better option in terms of age, pace, distribution ability and strength? He's not a small lad either.

"Manchester United is the club of my dreams," M'Vila said. "It's a very prestigious club and I dream to play for them."

Liverpool target M'Vila dreams of Manchester United move | talkSPORT

Liverpool target Dimitri Payet's contract talks with Saint-Etienne break down | Mail Online

Saint-Etienne have broken off contract talks with Liverpool target Dimitri Payet and admit the rising star could leave at the end of the season.

The 23-year-old has been watched by Liverpool and Damien Comolli, the Anfield director of football strategy who left Saint-Etienne in November, is a huge admirer.

Payet has won three caps for France and a lot of attention since a blistering start to the season, but his form has dipped amid the focus on his future.

The right winger was keen to extend his current contract beyond 2013, but talks have been put on hold by the cash-strapped side as they consider whether to cash in at the end of the season.

Saint-Etienne co-president Roland Romeyer said: 'If he plays at the same level as he did at the beginning of the season, it will be difficult to keep him. If he can attract a big club, we'll see.'

As well as Liverpool, the £7million-rated player has also caught the attention Napoli, Inter Milan and Aston Villa. Paris Saint-Germain are also keen as they see him as an ideal replacement for veteran Ludovic Giuly. If Stephane Sessegnon gets his way in forcing a move to Sunderland, that will increase the need for PSG to move for a creative right-sided player.

Saint-Etienne may have to decide between keeping Payet or fellow France midfielder Blaise Matuidi, who has long been admired by Arsenal. Nonetheless, Romeyer insists: 'Their departure (Payet and Matuidi) is not on the agenda. We have received no offers for Blaise. We also hope to keep him next season.

'Although, of course, if a big truck full of cash were to park in front of the stadium, we will have to consider it. The club can not refuse a staggering offer.'

While Matuidi has been consistently impressive for a number of seasons, the club considered selling Payet last season and are concerned that his good start of eight goals in the opening nine Ligue 1 games has been followed by a 10-game barren spell.

An obstacle for Liverpool, however, is that Comolli left Saint-Etienne on bad terms. Former Tottenham director Comolli complained of the working environment at Saint-Etienne after quitting and Romeyer responded: 'I have taken that very badly.

'I felt betrayed by someone I had always supported and protected. It's not so much the spitting in the soup, I expected better from him.

'As sporting director, he has had his share of responsibility for poor performance. His signings cost €22m (£18.5m).'

"Manchester United is the club of my dreams," M'Vila said. "It's a very prestigious club and I dream to play for them."

Liverpool target M'Vila dreams of Manchester United move | talkSPORT

Any idea where the quotes are sourced from? Considering this is talkshite I would not be surprised if they have a couple of mongs in an office looking at club forums and putting billy bullshit stories together.

No sign that we are in for him anyway although I hope we are doing our business behind closed doors as much as possible and we get the buzz back of signings announced on the offal and he is one of them.

Any idea where the quotes are sourced from? Considering this is talkshite I would not be surprised if they have a couple of mongs in an office looking at club forums and putting billy bullshit stories together.

No sign that we are in for him anyway although I hope we are doing our business behind closed doors as much as possible and we get the buzz back of signings announced on the offal and he is one of them.

Yann M'Vila préfère Manchester au Real Madrid - Actualités - Football - Ligue 1 - Yann M'Vila préfère Manchester au Real Madrid

Paul Konchesky 'back to Fulham' as Liverpool eye Clint Dempsey transfer

Fulham have been offered a boomerang deal to take back Paul Konchesky, with Liverpool keen to use him in a transfer deal to buy Clint Dempsey.

Read more: Paul Konchesky back to Fulham with Clint Dempsey Liverpool transfer | Metro.co.uk

Have they forgotten Hodgson isnt still in charge?

Matuidi is a very good player but not strictly a defensive mid for me, I see him as more attacking than that. Not keen on Diarra or Young but hopefully we will be priced out by that same hype factor I hate them for. Neither are for sale so its not brinkmanship so hopefully just Suarez for now. Stephane Sessegnon is one I rate highly.

Paul Konchesky 'back to Fulham' as Liverpool eye Clint Dempsey transfer

Fulham have been offered a boomerang deal to take back Paul Konchesky, with Liverpool keen to use him in a transfer deal to buy Clint Dempsey.

Read more: Paul Konchesky back to Fulham with Clint Dempsey Liverpool transfer | Metro.co.uk

Replacing a Fulham player with weird eyes with another Fulham player with weird eyes.

A few years ago I'd have said a player like Dempsey wasn't good enough, but given the erosion of our squad over the last two years, he'd improve us right now. It would be an even better move if The Konch goes the other direction. Can't see why Fulham would let him go though, unless his contract is running down.

He'll be expensive.

I'm seriously worried that we're not going to get more height into our squad. Xabi Alonso was a big hard bastard, who defended set pieces well, and we've been more vulnerable since he left.

Lucas is short, and Lassana (5'7"?) is shorter than Lucas (and Masch, believe it or not).

We've also got to get a better, tall, CB than Skrtel. He's just shit now.

I agree we need more height, but I wouldn't let it dictate or hinder any midfield/attacking signings.

We still need a big, bruising centre half. Skrtel in particular is an embarrassingly soft touch for any oppositon. For all his lack of pace, somebody like Mertesacker would improve us at corners at both ends.

Replacing a Fulham player with weird eyes with another Fulham player with weird eyes.

A few years ago I'd have said a player like Dempsey wasn't good enough, but given the erosion of our squad over the last two years, he'd improve us right now. It would be an even better move if The Konch goes the other direction. Can't see why Fulham would let him go though, unless his contract is running down.

I'd rather take an over-the-hill Duff meself.

I agree. Talksport are so retarded and are probably promanc.

If we get a top striker (like Suarez) and one more solid defender (Sergio Ramos), this would then pave the way to lure Mourinho from Real. I mean, he would love to come back to the Prem, as he's stated, have Steven Gerrard (no secret there) and win the league with Liverpool (thereby triumphing over Benitez) and have a statue erected in his honour.

cue flying pigs.