You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

coop

Liking the cut of Hodgsons jib at the moment.

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC manager Roy Hodgson shows Philipp Degen the Anfield exit

Roy Hodgson shows Philipp Degen the Anfield exit

Liverpool FC manager Roy Hodgson shows Philipp Degen the Anfield exit

Jul 21 2010 by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

PHILIPP DEGEN has been told his Anfield career is over.

The Liverpool defender, who has underwhelmed during the two years he has been at the club, does not figure in Roy Hodgson’s plans for the new campaign.

A handful of clubs on the continent have already expressed an interest in Degen – who made just 12 first team appearances – and Hodgson believes it would best for all if he finds pastures new.

“Philipp didn’t get a look in last year and will find it hard to get a look in this year,” said Hodgson.

“If he wants to play regularly, he needs to find a club that will say you are our number one man.

“He’s not going to be the number one man here with us, so does he want another long season playing on the bench not getting any games?

“He’s too old to play for the reserves, he’s an ex-Swiss international and if he wants his international place back, then he is going to have to look elsewhere.”

With Emiliano Insua, Yossi Benayoun and Fabio Aurelio all gone, Degen on his way and Albert Riera soon to follow, Hodgson’s overhaul of Liverpool’s squad is well under way.

“Degen has been involved here because he is one of the few senior players over here,” Hodgson, whose side face FC Grasshopper tonight, continued.

“But he won’t be as involved when the other players return. We have had one or two clubs expressed an interest and it would be better for him to move on.”

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not messing about getting rid of the rubbish, which is good. Although telling Degen to fuck off, and him actually doing so, are different things.

If he move on Plessis and Itandje, it doesn't matter what he wins. Legend status right there.

That's true, but at least we won't be seeing him play. I don't think he is actually that bad, but he does need to be moved on. Roy is making it pretty clear he wants him to go, rather than have him as back up.

So Insua is actually gone then? Fuck me, i go on holiday for a few days, and when i come back Insua is gone & Joe Cole is signed.

Surely this means we'll be after two LB's. I can't see Mavinga being anywhere near ready & it wouldn't be ideal having Agger or Carra as back up.

*Wilson can't play LB can he?

Guest TK-421

When he was appointed Roy said everyone starts with a clean slate. Not so for Degen, it seems, and I suspect there are a few others. Why is Roy so direct about Degen but was less so regarding Insua? He sounds like a manager who is being told what to say to the press as far as some players are concerned.

“Philipp didn’t get a look in last year and will find it hard to get a look in this year,” said Hodgson.

“If he wants to play regularly, he needs to find a club that will say you are our number one man.

“He’s not going to be the number one man here with us,

That's right to the point and pulls no punches - essentially saying 'thanks for your time, got off our payroll. I've got a good team to build.

I was doubtful about Hodgson, Given that we haven't kicked a ball under Hodgson yet the way he's shaping up is very impressive.

When he was appointed Roy said everyone starts with a clean slate. Not so for Degen, it seems, and I suspect there are a few others. Why is Roy so direct about Degen but was less so regarding Insua? He sounds like a manager who is being told what to say to the press as far as some players are concerned.

Insuas deal was already underway by the time of his appointment.

Perhaps he did not want to lose Insua but the powers that be determined otherwise.

Degen was deemed surplus by Roy......but that leaves us thin with full backs!

Getting rid of a poor left back and a shit right back, nothing wrong in my book. Starting to like this Roy fella and love being proved wrong.

The difference between Insua and Degen is we where getting money for Insua so a different game plan needed to be played, with Degen it is just get him off the wage bill.

Too many people see things as a conspiracy theories, all he is doing is getting shot of a lot of shit that was clogging up our wage bill and squad. He has not put one foot wrong in my book so far.

Perhaps he did not want to lose Insua but the powers that be determined otherwise.

At right back we have Johnson, Kelly, Darby and Carragher.

At left back we currently have Robinson and Agger, Darby plus Kelly can all cover if needed.

Right back i think we are alright but as you can see left back is now very short.

Just gets Degen out of Martin Kelly's way IMO.

Didn't Broughton say he'd be sitting down with Rafa to go through the roster of players to identify who was good enough and who wasn't?

Sounds like this has happened - not necessarily with Rafa, but it looks like a list has been made of who needed to leave, and that this was probably done before Roy turned up.

How on earth did you reach this conclusion?

If you think Hodgson is a yes man you could not be more wrong.

Didn't Broughton say he'd be sitting down with Rafa to go through the roster of players to identify who was good enough and who wasn't?

Sounds like this has happened - not necessarily with Rafa, but it looks like a list has been made of who needed to leave, and that this was probably done before Roy turned up.

Maybe that was the last straw.

Benitez: "He must go; he must go aswell; he is terrible; yes, he can leave too; he is a *cunt*; he is rubbish; he can go certainly"

Broughton: "That's a pretty long list! Who bought all of these terrible players?"

Benitez: "er...."

Guest TK-421

Too many people see things as a conspiracy theories, all he is doing is getting shot of a lot of shit that was clogging up our wage bill and squad. He has not put one foot wrong in my book so far.

Not a conspiracy theory, just asking why there are inconsistencies in what Roy is saying. He said everyone would get a clean slate, and I think that was said in the context of Riera who also seems to be on his way.

Roy also said he would leave all this talk (transfers) to Purslow but is happy to wax lyrical about Degen's departure before it has happened.

When he was appointed Roy said everyone starts with a clean slate. Not so for Degen, it seems, and I suspect there are a few others. Why is Roy so direct about Degen but was less so regarding Insua? He sounds like a manager who is being told what to say to the press as far as some players are concerned.[/QUOTE]

No not at all , just knows that some of the utter garbage that where once bizarrley somehow deemed good enough to sign for the club need to be fucked off asap.

Guest TK-421

No not at all , just knows that some of the utter garbage that where once bizarrley somehow deemed good enough to sign the club need to be fucked off asap.

Why did he say they'd all get a clean slate? He was specifically referring to players who were out of favour when he made that comment.

At right back we have Johnson, Kelly, Darby and Carragher.

At left back we currently have Robinson and Agger, Darby plus Kelly can all cover if needed.

Right back i think we are alright but as you can see left back is now very short.

I hate to think Agger will be our starting LB for next season. Kelly as cover for sure, but for a starting place we need at least one experience LB...

Think there is something worth considering in what TK-421 is saying, in that Hodgson has been inconsistent with what he's said about transfers.

Optimistically, I would hope that he is just becoming more confident within his role or has reached an agreement with Purslow on transfers that he is happy with.

Nevertheless, we're making a lot of press-popular moves at the moment. It's amazing how peripheral our cancerous owners seemed to become in the wake of Joe Cole's signing. I personally will be waiting to have a look at what players we have brought in and what our net spend looks like when the transfer window closes. Although I will say that (bar not having a left back) the moves we've been making so far look decent. And, of course, praying a f**king sale goes through within the predicted timeline.