You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

coop

Some bad paranoia on here these days. Still, I suppose that's one of the many shitty things Hicks and Gillett have given us, isn't it?

My interpretation of what Hodgson has said is that he already knows who's shit and needs to go (after all, who doesn't?), but needs to play it diplomatically in case he can't shift the shite and needs to make some sort of use of it. That's just sensible in my view.

Yep.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be arsed trawling back through the thread but are people seriously saying that Purslow's behind this? Applying that to Philipp fucking Degen of all people- a man who has contributed the square root of fuck all to Liverpool Football Club?

Guest TK-421
Don't get all shirty, I don't know anything, I have opinions just like you. I'm just interested to know how you came to that conclusion.

I came to that conclusion because I think the club is telling the fans what they want to hear.

They have to against a backdrop of no investment in the team and because of minor details like hiking up ticket prices.

Look at the players who are linked with leaving or have left - it's like a who's who of scapegoats from Rafa's time here. They are replaced with Bosmans or kids and we're expected to sit there, nod enthusiastically and pay the higher ticket prices. It seems to be working.

I think Roy knows he's it's going to be very hard to get shut of Degen. That's why he's made these statements. He knows we'll struggle to move him on a free, unless Degen agrees to go for half his wages. There may well be clubs interested in him, but not on the wages he earns here.

I think Roy knows Degen will be happy to stay and just take the wage and this was his way of letting us know that if the player doesn't move on, it's not for footballing reasons.

I came to that conclusion because I think the club is telling the fans what they want to hear.

They have to against a backdrop of no investment in the team and because of minor details like hiking up ticket prices.

Look at the players who are linked with leaving or have left - it's like a who's who of scapegoats from Rafa's time here. They are replaced with Bosmans or kids and we're expected to sit there, nod enthusiastically and pay the higher ticket prices. It seems to be working.

No different to when Rafa was here then.

fair enough - I just don't think the club would bother doing that in this case. I think we've got no money, and Hodgson is trying to do what he can with fuck all money. He is telling it as it is - though he is remaining upbeat, which is exactly what he should be doing - that's his job. The last thing I want him to do is to start bleating 'we'll try our best but it is very difficult with no money'. We all know that's the situation, but I want my manager to be a leader with optimism and direction.

I think Roy knows he's it's going to be very hard to get shut of Degen. That's why he's made these statements. He knows we'll struggle to move him on a free' date=' unless Degen agrees to go for half his wages. There may well be clubs interested in him, but not on the wages he earns here.

I think Roy knows Degen will be happy to stay and just take the wage and this was his way of letting us know that if the player doesn't move on, it's not for footballing reasons.[/quote']

I saw a quote from Degen today where he said he was grateful for being allowed to talk to other clubs as he just wants to go somewhere where he can play.*

*I'm assuming he doesn't intend to be injured for the next two seasons as well.

fair enough - I just don't think the club would bother doing that in this case. I think we've got no money, and Hodgson is trying to do what he can with fuck all money. He is telling it as it is - though he is remaining upbeat, which is exactly what he should be doing - that's his job. The last thing I want him to do is to start bleating 'we'll try our best but it is very difficult with no money'. We all know that's the situation, but I want my manager to be a leader with optimism and direction.

But what if thats the reality.

I'd rather someone told me the truth.

I think under the current regime(Purslow,Broughton, Yanks) running the club, we will never get the truth. Roy probably is telling it like it is and not suger coating anything because hes been fairly optimistic but also realistic.

Whether Purslows behind it to appease fans or not.

It will simply be madness to go into the new season with only 1 established right back and probably 1 established left back. Alot of people think Martin Kelly and someone like Mavinga can be good enough backup but their still very raw. Kelly has shown promise but we havnt seen him for 3/4 games in a row in the league.

Having kids as backups could go badly wrong but then we wont know till we need them.

I'm reserving judgement until the window closes but I'm thinking along the same lines at the moment.

Thinning out the squad and filling in the gaps with freebies and kids is fine if your ambition is to compete with Everton and Villa. But it's no substitute for proper investment in the team.

I'm reserving judgement until the window closes but I'm thinking along the same lines at the moment.

Thinning out the squad and filling in the gaps with freebies and kids is fine if your ambition is to compete with Everton and Villa. But it's no substitute for proper investment in the team.

Theres the kicker.

I think getting rid of the crap in the squad is probably just for financial reasons. But its also bringing the added bonus of making the fans all giddy that we've gotten rid of shite like Degen and we'll go into next season with a super squad of kids to back us up.

Kids that will get torn to shreds if they get thrown in at the deep end. Much like Insua was in certain games last year.

Can't say I'm displeased to see Degen gone. But I'm watching with interest to see if Roy gets the money to spend elsewhere. What was the figure being bandied about - £80m? Of course, that was meant to depend on Mascher's expected transfer fee - which seems to magically keep dropping - first £50m, then £30m, and the last media quote was, I think, £20m.

I think it is pretty much a given that there wont be proper investment in the team unless new - and proper - owners come in. Until that happens we can only hope to reinvest what we get in from sales.

The club has made it clear that one of the reasons they picked Roy was that he seemed more occupied with getting better performances from the players we have than buying expensive new ones. And Roy himself has publicly called for unity and focus on what we have and not what could be, which I personally believe is the right attitude at the moment.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

It's a valid point, but i still don't want to see the shit back up on the bench that we had last year. Would you honestly like to see Degen, Riera, Insua etc on the team sheet this season?

In the style of Yoda "Hmmmm scapagoats they may be, but unpolished turd they are also".

A complete clear out of all the bench warmers was badly needed, with benitez there were some cracking signings but also a lot of deadwood signed to pad out the squad. Good to see roy get on with it with out any fuss. Hopefully some of the academy players might get a look in.

I think it is pretty much a given that there wont be proper investment in the team unless new - and proper - owners come in. Until that happens we can only hope to reinvest what we get in from sales.

The club has made it clear that one of the reasons they picked Roy was that he seemed more occupied with getting better performances from the players we have than buying expensive new ones. And Roy himself has publicly called for unity and focus on what we have and not what could be, which I personally believe is the right attitude at the moment.

That hasn't happened in the last 12-18 months and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Free transfers and kids ahoy!

If we bought a player for £10 million in the morning people would still formulate some kind of conspiracy theory about it. Okay, we know Purslow is a cunt. Can we not just treat good news as good news and not analyse it for a thousand layers of deeper meaning?

If we bought a player for £10 million in the morning people would still formulate some kind of conspiracy theory about it. Okay, we know Purslow is a cunt. Can we not just treat good news as good news and not analyse it for a thousand layers of deeper meaning?

You're just being naive and sucking up the hype. You're believing all that Purslow is telling you though his mates in the press. In fact, you're doing the Yanks' work for them. You're obviously an enemy of the club. Are you a manc?

When he was appointed Roy said everyone starts with a clean slate. Not so for Degen, it seems, and I suspect there are a few others. Why is Roy so direct about Degen but was less so regarding Insua? He sounds like a manager who is being told what to say to the press as far as some players are concerned.

LOL

Hodgson's already talking about how we can't compete with Man City or "even Tottenham" financially, so he's not quite the all-singing, all-dancing ray of sunshine some would appear to want him to be.

That's not a criticism, incidentally - it's a relief the manager seems less inclined to stick his head in the sand than many fans.