You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Going back centuries. As soon as small towns got sucked into cities, and cities into countries, then civilisation began to fall apart. Corruption grew. The bigger the country the bigger the likelihood it's people won't be looked after. Yes big countries have big economies but they also have some of the worst poverty imaginable. Some of the smallest countries in the world are the richest in terms of personal wellbeing, satisfaction and economic balance. The fewer the people in a region the bigger the voice they have. Fuck off the idea of big countries and let people grow locally. Removes the likelihood of rich fucktards making decisions that badly effect the North. Local decisions should be made on behalf of local people. Get rid of the idea of "country". Get rid of the idea of a single leader but have an elected group. Get rid of boundaries.

• Upvote 1

Anyone watch Peston's programme on France's economy last night?  Culturally, they are still a healthy distance away from globalism and corporatism, though they have a few Blain/Cameron facsimiles looking to drag the population into poverty by pulling hard-fought-for employment and other rights from under them.  

Yeah. It's a real issue. I've been saying for a long, long time that we need to get get these subjects taught at schools all over the country.

I had a proud moment today when I caught my daughter watching free speech on Iplayer. 

I still live in a council tax and id love to know how the state is paying. Is my rent cheaper than private?. Yes,but thats private landlords taking the piss on rents not on the councils undercharging.

A family home is a family home whether its a privately owned or social housing. Blaming old people and families that circumstances have changed is just the same old right wing bollocks. Same as saying everyone out of work is a scrounger

I used to agree with this until I'd been made homeless. A single parent with 4 kids in an authority with a low stock of social housing. People shouldn't be made to move into private lets, thats not what I'm saying, but that people in social housing should appreciate there are times when others needs outweigh theirs and if there is alternative more suitable accommodation, they should have to consider it. It's not right wing bollocks, its a housing shortage. 

• Upvote 2

Can't watch Peston. Find his manner to be excruciating, but it's his hair that I find the most offensive. Half expect him to spark up a liquorice rizla roll up at some point.

Agree.  His mannered (and cultivated) vocal and physical tics have got beyond the fucking pale these days, but an interesting programme nonetheless - catch it on iplayer if you can.  

• Upvote 1

I used to agree with this until I'd been made homeless. A single parent with 4 kids in an authority with a low stock of social housing. People shouldn't be made to move into private lets, thats not what I'm saying, but that people in social housing should appreciate there are times when others needs outweigh theirs and if there is alternative more suitable accommodation, they should have to consider it. It's not right wing bollocks, its a housing shortage.

I put more of that on government for not building enough houses than i do a old couole livung in the house they have done for the past 40 years. Goes back to the Yories selling off the houses on the cheap

I had a proud moment today when I caught my daughter watching free speech on Iplayer.

The blame falls onto the lack of low rental housing here and not the people who are reluctant to give up their family homes where theyve brought up generations of their family. It would be no problem if they were able to buy that house though.

Imagine if people whose homes were mortgaged by state owned banks getting told to downsize because their property was too big?

Thing is, what you're talking about these is crisis housing, not council housing as such. They're two different things in my mind. There should be homes for people who literally are on the bones of their arse (there's such an estate in Runcorn, we nearly ended up in it 15 years ago when a private lanord threw us out because he wanted the house for his daughter - not really a legitimate reason really)

But council housing should be affordable and/or subsidised housing for people who can't afford to buy and don't want to be exploited by landlords.

When I say these discussions become ideological, I mean it's because they're all impacted by how you view the state.

The average Tory, and unfortunately the modern Brit, views it as an expense they pay for and which exists to wipe the arse of the feckless.

I view it as 'the community'. I am the state and so are you, we pool our taxes so we have healthcare, sickness benefits when we need it, and so we don't have to be exploited by this and the previous government's one trick pony house prices stoked economy, or unscrupulous money grabbing cunts who played too much monopoly as a child.

Council estates should have a mix of people on them, an elderly couple living next to a young mum, a poor family living next to a working couple, it stops the place becoming just an out and out slum, what they shouldn't be is some kind of glorified Red Cross tent city.

I put more of that on government for not building enough houses than i do a old couole livung in the house they have done for the past 40 years. Goes back to the Yories selling off the houses on the cheap

Its not just about not building enough houses, its far more complex than that. What about people owning second and third homes? For my area its more about holiday homes than lack of social housing, I'm sure many don't have too much of an issue with private lets providing the rent is fair and the accommodation of a reasonable standard for that rent, but that's not the point. 

It is social housing, that is what they are dwelling in, there should be no automatic right to staying in that house for the rest of your life, a house in the same area, yes. People should not be expected to move far from their friends and family. Should people still be permitted to stay in that particular 3 or 4 bed house when your kids have left home? Sorry, thats a no from me. 

I should point out, this should have been made clear from the onset of tenancy, not something they're just introducing now because they need too. If people had been promised a house for life the authority has no right to breech that (no matter how stubborn i think those in the dwelling are being) just because they now need houses, however, for tenants taking on new tenancies over the last couple of decades, it should have been made crystal clear. 

The blame falls onto the lack of low rental housing here and not the people who are reluctant to give up their family homes where theyve brought up generations of their family. It would be no problem if they were able to buy that house though.

Imagine if people whose homes were mortgaged by state owned banks getting told to downsize because their property was too big?

It should be, social housing shouldn't be permitted to be bought on a right to buy at a substantial discount. 

I've been been brought up on council estates all my life, I stand by what i say above, people should be informed when they take on a tenancy that when their need for that size home is diminished, they will be asked to take an alternative suitable accommodation. My circumstances changed, I'm no longer in a council house, I've watched my mum move up from a flat to a 4 bed house when we were kids down to a 2 bed flat she lives in now. As she says, she doesn't need a bigger house, or a garden, why keep it from someone that does?

Thing is, what you're talking about these is crisis housing, not council housing as such. They're two different things in my mind. There should be homes for people who literally are on the bones of their arse (there's such an estate in Runcorn, we nearly ended up in it 15 years ago when a private lanord threw us out because he wanted the house for his daughter - not really a legitimate reason really)

But council housing should be affordable and/or subsidised housing for people who can't afford to buy and don't want to be exploited by landlords.

When I say these discussions become ideological, I mean it's because they're all impacted by how you view the state.

The average Tory, and unfortunately the modern Brit, views it as an expense they pay for and which exists to wipe the arse of the feckless.

I view it as 'the community'. I am the state and so are you, we pool our taxes so we have healthcare, sickness benefits when we need it, and so we don't have to be exploited by this and the previous government's one trick pony house prices stoked economy, or unscrupulous money grabbing cunts who played too much monopoly as a child.

Council estates should have a mix of people on them, an elderly couple living next to a young mum, a poor family living next to a working couple, it stops the place becoming just an out and out slum, what they shouldn't be is some kind of glorified Red Cross tent city.

The two are now intrinsically linked though, council estates may have started off as you described, then people aspired to own their own homes and it became a status and wealth symbol. The ex council house became stepping stone to bigger and better as there was massive proffit to be made based on the right to buy discounts offered back then. 

Many small estates in Gwynedd are still as you describe, the council grant planning permission for new private builds there are clauses, they can only have permission to build on the provision that they build some dwelings for the authority, some for low income and then the ones to make their profit. 

For me, and this is more of a rant really, the fundamental difference between the conceot of private and public sector are that the former exists to serve a purpose, the latter exists to make money. There's nothing wrong with that when it's kept in it's place.

But over the last two decades and - bizarrely - the whole thing has sped up since the private sector nearly brought down the whole thing in 2008, the public sector has been dismantled.

It's done not because it's cumbersome and shit as the rhetoric would have you believe, but because its absence turns us all from citizens into customers.

Putting the stranglers on social housing just sends more and more people into the jaws of the private sector, whether it's the private landlords or the private builders.

• Upvote 2

The Tories won a majority in the election, but the party remained divided, and support for the Prime Minister (the Duke of Wellington) was weak. When the Opposition raised the issue of reform in one of the first debates of the year, the Duke made a controversial defence of the existing system of government, recorded in the formal "third-party" language of the time:[34]

“ He was fully convinced that the country possessed, at the present moment, a legislature which answered all the good purposes of legislation,—and this to a greater degree than any legislature ever had answered, in any country whatever. He would go further, and say that the legislature and system of representation possessed the full and entire confidence of the country. [...] He would go still further, and say, that if at the present moment he had imposed upon him the duty of forming a legislature for any country [...] he did not mean to assert that he could form such a legislature as they possessed now, for the nature of man was incapable of reaching such excellence at once. [...] [A]s long as he held any station in the government of the country, he should always feel it his duty to resist [reform] measures, when proposed by others."

Stu u sound like the duke of wellington outdated view rent a mouth mania you would defend a dictatorship if only you lived in one and had a job on the railways you'd claim the system was fine./

• Downvote 1

Can't remember writing that last night. Too many hot whiskeys and medication for a cold. Waffle.

The best shit is spouted when soused. Excellent post I thought. Not enough uses of the word 'cunt' or 'bush' but excellent nonetheless. Enjoy your rep.

*can someone neg this cunt for bitching about a cold*

For me, and this is more of a rant really, the fundamental difference between the conceot of private and public sector are that the former exists to serve a purpose, the latter exists to make money. There's nothing wrong with that when it's kept in it's place.

But over the last two decades and - bizarrely - the whole thing has sped up since the private sector nearly brought down the whole thing in 2008, the public sector has been dismantled.

It's done not because it's cumbersome and shit as the rhetoric would have you believe, but because its absence turns us all from citizens into customers.

Putting the stranglers on social housing just sends more and more people into the jaws of the private sector, whether it's the private landlords or the private builders.

And thats the crux of the matter, there are few to no public sector council houses about anymore. It's all housing associations and whilst they may be not for profit organisations, they are treated like businesses. 

• Upvote 1

Unless I'm missing something it looks like the bastard media have caved into Tory demands over the TV debates, so basically Cameron is only being required to take part in the seven-way debate and a live Q&A with Milliband presented by, get this, Jeremy Paxton and Kay Burley! Fuck me, how have the other parties allowed this to happen? I feel like I must be missing something.

Agree.  His mannered (and cultivated) vocal and physical tics have got beyond the fucking pale these days, but an interesting programme nonetheless - catch it on iplayer if you can.  

Good program, although I find it hard to watch anything like this about other Western European countries because it just reminds me how much I want to leave this shit hole.

Peston's "character" was even worse than I remember. He's like a more arrogant Michael Portillo. The bit on the carousel...for fuck sake.

• Upvote 1